Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will we see the resurrection of the TE position this year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Will we see the resurrection of the TE position this year?

Feb 18, 2021, 2:38 PM

We have some excellent talent in that room. I would love to see us utilizing them in the passing game more instead of just run blocking. Would like to see the TE production get back to the Dwayne Allen, Brandon Ford, Jordan Leggett type days.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will we see the resurrection of the TE position this year?

Feb 18, 2021, 3:02 PM

I believe Elliot will utilize it more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 3:23 PM

DJ relied on the TE a little more in the two games he started. Hope that's a sign that he will continue to value the TE. I know Dabo and Tony call the plays, but it is up to the QB to execute and check down, call audibles, etc.

Message was edited by: Tiger68®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we will.......

Feb 18, 2021, 3:13 PM

I think that's the reason Tony Elliott now has the coaching responsibility for TEs. After CJ became available for coaching RBs, Elliott was given the TE position as an area of needed improvement. He will want the fruits of his labor to be appreciated during games, so he will find ways to develop the TEs and show statistical improvement in the position.

We do have some talent, but the offense we had last year did not give the TEs much opportunity. When we don't have deep threats, the defense can clog up the middle of the field and deny short-to-medium routes that TEs usually run. We also didn't have the O-line protection necessary to provide enough time for some of the TE routes to develop.

With an improvement in WR deep threats, a maturing O-line and a running QB, defenses will have to play balanced. The WRs will cause the middle to loosen up, the LBs will have to respect the running game and the middle should be looser for the TEs and slot-WR.

We do have some talent in the position to take advantage of the opportunity. Elliott will make it work and I think we'll see it very early in the season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we will.......

Feb 18, 2021, 3:33 PM

Great point about having a struggle oline last year. They needed the extra blockers a lot. Hopefully that area improves as well

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is Dependent Upon

Feb 18, 2021, 4:42 PM

the play of the offensive line.

Feb 18, 2021, 4:44 PM

every year we hear something like that. JUst saying

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 18, 2021, 4:44 PM

My vote is yes!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope so...but looking back on the stats...

Feb 18, 2021, 4:47 PM

we were still very productive at the position this year and Galloway's Jr stats were nearly comparable to Leggetts Jr year on a per game basis. Galloway didn't even play the entire season and Davis did a nice job too. If we went back and analyzed the tape Im sure we'd see some situations were the opportunities were there but just missed for whatever reason.

Feb 18, 2021, 4:54 PM

Yeah, I think so...mostly because, as others mentioned, Tony Elliott's now coaching the room. That just helps because it means the focus is going to be there, and Galloway and Allen are two very good ones.

I think they get used a lot going forwards, and in much more sophisticated ways. You can do a lot of different things when you've got two guys like that on the field.

Feb 18, 2021, 7:37 PM

Good TE's take the double coverage off of our really good recievers, but it will be Justin's job to take the heat off the TE's until they become a serious threat in our offense.

And I believe that we will use the TE game more this season bc ETN has moved on, and they don't know how good our running game is going to be in 2021!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic