Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So...how many GOP Senators will vote to impeach this time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 767

So...how many GOP Senators will vote to impeach this time?

Jan 8, 2021, 11:05 AM

We know Pelosi is going to rubberstamp these articles of impeachment and have them on the floor of the Senate ASAP, probably with 100+ GOP Representatives also in the "aye" column this time around...and a conspicuous number likely also abstaining.

Last time Mitt Romney was the only GOP Senator with the balls to vote to convict. This time...I'll give you Ben Sasse, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, John Thune, Marco Rubio, and Joni Ernst for double-durn certain. Lindsey Graham seems to have changed teams, again. Actually I was eyeing the certification of electors vote, which went 93-6 against Team Trump.

It'll come down to Mitch McConnell, I suspect. Which way you think he goes? I have an idea. His wife rage-quit her Cabinet position in the Trump admin just yesterday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once debate begins on impeachment, no pardons can be issued.

Jan 8, 2021, 11:09 AM

To anyone. So there is that.

I haven't ever heard of that rule.***

Jan 8, 2021, 11:46 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pelosi's just grandstanding to try to maintain political

Jan 8, 2021, 11:10 AM

relevancy... She's about to get passed by and she knows it...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm no Pelosi fan, either, but this is the correct move

Jan 8, 2021, 11:41 AM

when POTUS sends a mob to take over the Capitol building.

Re: Pelosi's just grandstanding to try to maintain political

Jan 8, 2021, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Pelosi's just grandstanding to try to maintain political ]

Well, yeah. But she's every bit as vengeful as Donald himself is - and a heckuva lot more patient. You know she'd love to have Donald's scalp on her mantle as a trophy before she moves along. You get to her age and station, you start thinking "Legacy", and she wants to be the Hero Who Slew Donald Trump so bad she can't see straight.

Since I'd love to see Donald crash and burn in epic fashion, I'm fine with it...especially if it lets Pelosi take her bows and exit stage left. Sooner rather than later, preferably.

Donald took a steaming dump on the office and the American flag. He needs to be known as the first guy in American history whose conduct was so egregious he was actually impeached and removed. If it gets Nancy her Special Moment...oh, well.

Re: So...how many GOP Senators will vote to impeach this time?

Jan 8, 2021, 11:11 AM

I will say, you could make an argument to Ted Cruz, Hawley, etc, that if he is convicted this time... he can't run again, so he's totally out of the picture for 2024.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 11:56 AM

Thank you, bout time somebody figured that out.

If the GOP was smart they would drop Donald Trump like an 8 AM class in the first day of drop add. Gone.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:03 PM

That's the thing. Mitch McConnell is very smart...heartless, but very bright. And he knows perfectly well Trump has now completely outlasted whatever utility he once had to the party and is beginning to stink like three-day-old flounder.

He might just string it out to the end with a no-vote to avoid taking a position that could divide the party. But I think he's worried about 2024, and the grip the Evil Clown might still have on his party.

I think McConnell puts Trump down once and for all. Mitch is an utterly ruthless SOB, he's 79 years old, and he doesn't stand again until 2026. And he's going to want to wash the stain of the coup attempt off him and his party right now.

depends on how it will effect their ability to get reelected***

Jan 8, 2021, 11:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: depends on how it will effect their ability to get reelected***

Jan 8, 2021, 11:13 AM

I think the ones who won't stand again until 2024 or 2026 will likely be thinking the political winds will have likely shifted bigly then.

The ones who are looking anxiously to 2022 and trying to read the tea leaves might have some pause.

I think they'll have the votes at the end of the day

Jan 8, 2021, 11:35 AM

if the articles are crafted with a view to allowing GOP buy-in. If they try to toss in the kitchen sink, not going to happen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't you think they'll just let it run past the 20th?***

Jan 8, 2021, 11:47 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2021, 11:51 AM

I don’t think they have the balls. We’ll see. GOP senators have been conned. It's stunning they don’t recognize trump is not a republican. They simply don’t realize trump hijacked their party.

Their smartest move is to impeach / censure or do something to firmly and clearly distance themselves from trump before the inauguration. Pence is in the same boat. He needs distance from trump.

They should also come out with a unified GOP voice and say that trump lost the election and Biden won.
This will be the only way they can get their party back and move on with sane GOP candidates.

Jan 8, 2021, 12:13 PM

I think that the Repugs are afraid that if they do anything to eject the Trump crazies from the the party, they will not get enough votes to beat Dems going forward.

So the party might be more sane and respectable, but they would lose significant power.

I think it is the right thing to do - but not the politically expedient thing.

Jan 8, 2021, 11:59 AM

I am skeptical that the House will impeach, but I guarantee that Mitch won't let it come to a vote in the Senate.

In two weeks this will be portrayed as sour grapes by many.

Replies: 15
| visibility 767
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic