Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The IRS..lulz
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 303

The IRS..lulz

Jan 19, 2021, 10:10 AM

By my calcs, I still owe them about 7K from last year. But I haven't paid them a dime, because they haven't sent me a bill.

So monthly, I go on there and check if they even have a bill together yet..and I get:

Your amended return was received on August 21, 2020. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your amended return should show how much you owe them

Jan 19, 2021, 10:13 AM

just trying to rack up interest and penalties for the lutz?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It does. Thats how I know its $7K

Jan 19, 2021, 10:25 AM

I'm not sending them a dime until they send me a bill.

I'm not sure why I even have to file taxes. They know I moved--I never told them. They know what I make, because my employer sends them my W-2. There aren't any deductions any more. What's the point of me having to go through all of this every year? Just send me a bill.

Its almost like they are playing a game of "How much do YOU think you owe us?"

If you owe 7k you need to send it in as soon as you know

Jan 19, 2021, 10:30 AM

you won't like the bill because it will be a lot higher than 7k.

I pay estimated taxes every year, but they are based on last year. I have to guess how much to send in because I know the amount that my accountant says is always wrong. As long as I am withing a few thousand, they usually don't hit it too hard. But always, always send in what your return says you owe even if it does get amended. IRS penalties and interest are way more than borrowing from a bank.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They haven't even acknowledged what I owe.

Jan 19, 2021, 10:31 AM

They haven't processed my amended return yet.

Your amended return says what you owe

Jan 19, 2021, 10:37 AM

doesn't matter if they agree. If they agree then you get penalties and interest on that amount. If they don't agree they will either bill you for the difference or send a check but won't hit you for penalties and interest if it is close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Penalties and interest it is then

Jan 19, 2021, 10:39 AM

I just tried to call them..they said call back later, or tomorrow.

That is the game. Our tax code is a library for a reason

Jan 19, 2021, 10:33 AM [ in reply to It does. Thats how I know its $7K ]

What deductions, expenses, or other things can you find to reduce your taxes? You find them and pay us what you think you owe. We will then check (if you're rich) and see if we agree. If not we will send you a bill for the difference. If you're poor, we don't care, we'll take whatever you send.

That's kinda how it werks. Not much different from health insurance.

My yard man has yet to send me a bill. I just write him a check every six months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You've got one thing backwards

Jan 19, 2021, 10:42 AM

rich folk don't get audited - IRS ain't got time for people that can afford to appeal.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/irs-audits-poor-taxpayers-easier

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

25 years into paying taxes and the only time I was ever

Jan 19, 2021, 11:33 AM

audited was when I opted not to tell the census bureau what food is in my pantry, how many toilets I have, they type of hot water heater/HVAC system I have, and the exterior construction material used on my home.

Not filling that out resulted in an automatic IRS audit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They jack me every week.

Jan 19, 2021, 10:43 AM [ in reply to That is the game. Our tax code is a library for a reason ]

They take a full third of my check every week, then at the end of the year, take some more.

And not only that, they make me go through this 2-3 days of mental gyrations of collecting W-2's, 1099's and whatever else I have to enter into some ridiculous spreadsheet, then I have to send that to them, too. Then later, they might say its wrong, and just tell me to send them more money.

I just don't get why I have to go through the yearly BS. They have all my info. Just do YOUR job--figure it out, send me a bill.

You can thank H&R Block for that

Jan 19, 2021, 10:45 AM

the IRS could easily do the taxes for us and just send us a bill/refund.

H&R Block along with other tax preparing companies lobbied Congress to NOT let that happen so they wouldn't go out of business

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/taxes/turbotax-h-r-block-spend-millions-lobbying-us-keep-doing-n736386

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I think its the entire tax code's problem.

Jan 19, 2021, 10:51 AM

There is no reason why there are some deductions for some, then none for others. And since Trump "lowered" taxes, what I owe at the end of the year has just about doubled, but oddly, I don't take home any more every week.

Why should I have to pay MORE taxes if I actually use LESS federal services? I have no kids, so I get no deductions. And since I have no kids, they don't use schools, or interstates, or any of that stuff that more people would use...yet I pay more in taxes. It makes zero sense to me.

You also don't have any future taxpayers to keep the cycle

Jan 19, 2021, 11:34 AM

going....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does that logic really work for you?***

Jan 19, 2021, 11:35 AM

Well you're complaining that you aren't getting deductions

Jan 19, 2021, 11:40 AM

because you don't have children. the government will make WAY more money off my kids in the way of them becoming taxpayers than they are giving me for having them.

Maybe they'll be like me and not pay their taxes***

Jan 19, 2021, 11:54 AM

Realtalk: I feel you 100% on your taxfeels. But don't wait

Jan 19, 2021, 10:53 AM [ in reply to They jack me every week. ]

on them to bill you. I did DIY taxes for years and HATED it and it stressed me out and drug out for months like yours. Always owed more than we thought we would. Stupid fees and ######## penalties for owing $13 and crap.

A few years ago I finally decided to hire a tax pro - nothing fancy just HR Block or whatever.

Tax bill goes WAY down, stress level goes WAY down, time spent on taxes goes WAY down. No more waiting on IRS or payment plans or any other nonsense.

Highly recommend.

I did mine on credit karma, and turbo tax

Jan 19, 2021, 11:02 AM

and when I saw I owed $7K, I spent $200 on some a-hole CPA to do them, and then I owed $7100, and him $200.

If they charge me interest and penalties, then they gotta do what they gotta do. I could do my taxes next year on the 1040EZ. I may try to, if they'll let me.

A $200 CPA?

Jan 19, 2021, 11:07 AM

LOL.

might as well gone to H&R Block.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, it was an amended return. Wasn't much for him to do

Jan 19, 2021, 11:09 AM

I already did the first part. I just needed him to check my work; He said it was right.

Did he not tell you to pay the tax with the return?

Jan 19, 2021, 11:24 AM

cause this whole "send me a bill" concept is puzzling, especially for this amount of tax. Just my opinion.

He said to wait until they processed it.

Jan 19, 2021, 11:25 AM

They still haven't processed it. "They might be a little late, but it shouldn't be that long".

I didn't think it'd be 5 months.

Yea,

Jan 19, 2021, 11:30 AM

some weird advice.

I guess i'll keep trying to call the IRS.

Jan 19, 2021, 11:31 AM

See how much more I owe them now. My guess is by the time I get this paid off, I'll owe again for last year.

Unless you have weird taxes - farm, business owner,

Jan 19, 2021, 11:45 AM

multiple incomes from lots of states, sources, etc., it shouldn't be this hard.

Maybe you just had a ###### CPA first go around and you need to find a new one.

The IRS is not your friend and they aren't going to be helpful - they will just penalize you more later.

Wait, you mean these guys that steal a 1/3 of my check

Jan 19, 2021, 11:55 AM

week and want even more every April, might want MORE?

You gotta be chitting me.

If you wait to pay they will definitely will want more.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:03 PM

It sucks I know, and I totally get it - but I think you are making this harder than it has to be.

If you feel like you are paying more than you should be, definitely worth it to hire a real tax pro.

I've always thought I paid more than I should.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:09 PM

Zero dependents on either one of our W4's, now they want us to withhold an additional $600/month?

And that's net...not pre-tax (like it would even matter than much). So what's that in reality..ANOTHER $8-10K in salary, just for taxes?

That seems like too much to me. I mean we make decent money, but we don't make that much.

I use a CPA, have for years.

Jan 19, 2021, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Realtalk: I feel you 100% on your taxfeels. But don't wait ]

It's nice to be able to send all the IRS crap to him and tell him to handle it.

You're supposed to send in a check when with your return

Jan 19, 2021, 11:32 AM [ in reply to It does. Thats how I know its $7K ]

Trust me, they will get your money one way or another.

No doubt about that***

Jan 19, 2021, 11:34 AM

Pay your taxes. I'm trying to reno my kitchen here***

Jan 19, 2021, 10:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Replies: 32
| visibility 303
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic