Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about men’s track team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Question about men’s track team

Nov 10, 2020, 9:40 AM

We are keeping the women’s track team and I think our same coaches coach men’s and women’s track. Track guys are not on full scholarships. We still have to maintain the track facilities. I don’t see where the big savings are to come from if we cancel the men’s team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

when we stop honoring the men's scholarships

Nov 10, 2020, 9:48 AM

Clemson will save money in 3-4 years

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: when we stop honoring the men's scholarships

Nov 10, 2020, 9:50 AM

Track guys are not on full scholly. Most of the get ONLY a couple of thousand dollars each year. That’s pennies for an athletic budget.

also save money

Nov 10, 2020, 9:52 AM

on coaches, travel costs, and everything else that goes into supporting athletes at Clemson

Although, I think the mens and womens track coaches are the same coaches, maybe not

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to when we stop honoring the men's scholarships ]

12 scholarships at $33K each is $396K per year. There will also be a little saving in team travel expenses.

I don't see where $2 million is savings comes from.

well, I am sure they ran the numbers

Nov 10, 2020, 9:53 AM

or they could be lying

Nov 10, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: when we stop honoring the men's scholarships ]

They Have the money dont let them fool you. Step up and save track and cross country team help someone earn a better life for themseleves.

yes, they have the money. and know how to spend it.

Nov 10, 2020, 12:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

We could certainly afford to keep men's track

Nov 10, 2020, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: when we stop honoring the men's scholarships ]

if we wanted to, but would have to cut expenses elsewhere.

What do you propose cutting instead?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Scholarships and travel...

Nov 10, 2020, 10:13 AM

If memory serves, men's track receives 12 full scholarships to split among 26 athletes. 15 of them are scheduled to graduate in August of 2021.

For the other 11, the scholarships will be honored as long as those students remain on campus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Would you like them to take the money from...

Nov 10, 2020, 11:57 AM

the football program to keep mens track alive? Surely the football program can do without a couple million a year?
Yeah, didn't think so.

Re: Would you like them to take the money from...

Nov 10, 2020, 12:10 PM

Actually, the FB program could probably do without the money. While FB creates the money, they also use a disproportionate amount. Nobody has tried to 'tighten the belt' on anything for FB other than the temp paycuts for the highest paid coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2020, 12:15 PM

How can football spend a disproportionate amount of money if they make all of the money?

Football is literally paying the full bill for half of the sports at Clemson and you are claiming that they are spending too much on themselves?

I think his point was that football has a lot of expenses

Nov 10, 2020, 12:26 PM

which could be considered excessive. Things like:

-Nap room
-Bowling alley
-Barber shop
-Slide
-Mini golf course
-That third pool when two is plenty
-That eighth pair of Nike warm-ups when players would be fine with seven pairs

Etc.

Of course those perks are part of supporting the elite football program we have. Most of us are fine knowing that we spend that kind of money if it means we have a great football team. I think the poster above's point was simply that we could make some small and likely inconsequential cuts to football in order to keep a longtime sport like men's track.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Nov 10, 2020, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Would you like them to take the money from... ]

They did skip painting the field a couple weeks ago (Syracuse?) Paint ain't cheap!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic