Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Next year starting WR
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Next year starting WR

Jan 15, 2016, 8:43 PM

I guess the two obvious starters areike Williams and Artavis Scott. I guess the third spot would be either Cain or Renfrow? I think Cain will be in the doghouse so I bet Renfrow will be the starter to start the season

It will be interesting to see if mcloud pushes Artavis. I know Scott was injured this year, but it seems that he took a step back.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Next year starting WR

Jan 15, 2016, 8:43 PM

Cain will be mixed in as TE

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what???????*****

Jan 15, 2016, 8:47 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what???????*****

Jan 15, 2016, 8:51 PM

Joke, sorry more obscure than I thought I guess

Jan 15, 2016, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year starting WR ]

I think Ray Ray needs to go in the back field. He could be an explosive change of pace back. Would love to see us run some 2 backs sets with Mccloud and Gallman flanking Watson.

Since Hunter Renfrow was already a starting WR before

Jan 15, 2016, 8:47 PM

Cain was suspended, I suspect he's got the inside track on the starting job next year, along with Artavis Scott and Mike Williams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

And Dabo said "Renfrow" will be bigger and stronger - just

Jan 16, 2016, 12:10 PM

hope he can keep his quickness and speed?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see McCloud pushing Scott at all.**

Jan 15, 2016, 8:49 PM

nm

I feel like Ray Ray has yet to find where he fits in the O

Jan 15, 2016, 9:02 PM

it almost seems like he is a really good talent but we are not sure how to use him. Not really big enough to be on the outside. Did not really run a lot of over the middle routes and we don't need him taking a handoff even though he was a RB in HS because we have DW and Gallman plus Choice and Feaster coming in.

To me it almost seems like he either didn't know all the plays yet or was unable to run all the routes in the plays. He was used mainly on screens or short passes towards the sideline. He would be perfect to run jet sweeps but it seems like he have taken that play out of the playbook except for a handful of times this year.

Hopefully he can get bigger and work on his routes and plays and be a much larger part of the offenses next season because like I said he is extremely talented just needs to find his role.

Yeah I noticed the same things. Well said though.**

Jan 15, 2016, 9:07 PM

nm

likely starts for two years after scott leaves and is more

Jan 15, 2016, 9:08 PM [ in reply to I feel like Ray Ray has yet to find where he fits in the O ]

productive in his backup job next season, was hobbled a lot of this year including playoff.

Re: likely starts for two years after scott leaves and is more

Jan 15, 2016, 9:10 PM

Unless Scott goes pro early, Mcloud will back him up until his senior year. Scott was a Soph this year and Mcloud was a freshman

either way, he will be productive. People are judging a

Jan 15, 2016, 9:12 PM

hobbled true freshman way to harshly in this thread, thats the point.

He is Artavis 2.0. Once he bulks up he will be a quicker more agile

Jan 15, 2016, 9:46 PM [ in reply to I feel like Ray Ray has yet to find where he fits in the O ]

Version of Artavis. He will be the guy who runs the motion plays and go deep. Trust me, he will be a stud once they turn him loose

Re: He is Artavis 2.0. Once he bulks up he will be a quicker more agile

Jan 16, 2016, 12:20 AM

I see him with a Steve Smith type of field performance. Nothing beyond.

Re: I feel like Ray Ray has yet to find where he fits in the O

Jan 16, 2016, 12:16 AM [ in reply to I feel like Ray Ray has yet to find where he fits in the O ]

He will. He's a worker. Once he put on a little more body mass, he will find his grove with the offense.

Jan 15, 2016, 8:49 PM

It will probably be
9: Mike / Cain or Thompson
5: Hopper or Renfrow
3: Scott / McCloud

To your point about Scott regressing in year two I think it is more of a factor of how good he was in year one. Teams were not expecting him to be so explosive on screens or be such a good route runner and physical receiver. They figure that out this year and gave him double coverage and harder looks.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:00 PM

This probably makes the most sense. Hopper has made some good plays, but he hasn't really impressed.

The thing I love about hopper is that he's a great team player. He isn't getting the PT that I'm sure he expected, but he always is energetic and seems happy.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:01 PM

Yes G-hop is a great team player. He doesn't get many touches but he's okay wth that and he is staying in school trying to improve.
Plus he's the best dancer ;)

Also it is widely reported that he is the best

Jan 15, 2016, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year starting WR ]

Dancer on the team. We must recruit to replace that.

No one is pushing Scott

Jan 15, 2016, 8:53 PM

Williams, Scott, Renfrow, and McCloud. Hopefully Deon makes it in there or at least gets lots of PT. We will have to see what Shadell Bell brings to the table since he RS this season. Powell and Overton will see significant PT as well. Hopper is going to Hopper and he really didn't improve on his pass dropping ability's this season except for a game or two. When it counted though he was back dropping passes so I do not think he will see the field much before the 3rd quarter if the new guys turn out any good. Trevion is another that has looked less than impressive. I know he had the big catch against the coots but he was open and it was right at his chest so it's not like he made a spectacular play. He has looked better than Hopper but he seems to be on the slow side, has had a fair amount of drops, and has had some blocking issues that let Scott get blown up a couple times on the screen play. He see's some PT but never in a starting role.

Hopefully Deon, Overton, or Powell can be the outside man opposite of Williams. We will need someone that is a realistic deep ball threat to take some of the pressure off of MW. Scott, RR3, and Renfrow are just to short to be a true outside threat and we need them playing as the slot positions across the middle as it seems they all 3 are very sure handed.

Re: No one is pushing Scott

Jan 15, 2016, 9:01 PM

Tj Chase as well. So much talent not enough touches to go around!! Good problem to have!!

Jan 15, 2016, 9:04 PM

yes forgot about Chase. He is another that looks impressive in film. Someone will have to RedShirt because like you said there are not enough touches to go around and it would be follish to burn everyones year when that are not to be able to contribute simply because of the numbers at WR.

I would say Overton should based on film but we really could probably RS all 3 and still be okay.

I think with these higher end recruits

Jan 15, 2016, 10:48 PM

it is harder to give them a RS.

1. A few if not all will be likely to leave their junior year so might as well get the most out of them while you can, even if means burning a year of eligibility for them just to get limited snaps or garbage time PT.

2. I think a lot of them are sold on that they will get the opportunity to play early and often from the go. Just like RR and Cain. Both those guys could really have used a RS season to bulk up and learn the position since neither one of them played as a true WR in HS but I'm sure their decision to come to Clemson was in part because they knew they would be given the chance to play right away if they earned it. Like Overton for example was undecided because he felt he could go to NC ST and start from day one or come to Clemson and probably have to sit his first year. I'm sure after hearing that the coaches promised him he would see the field this year as long as he achieved a certain amount of progress over the summer and fall practices. Same with Feaster. Could he really benefit from a RS year, yes. But I would bet that he gets the ball to some capacity in the first game. Just part of the recruiting game to get these 4 and 5 star players to come to a school like Clemson where they know they will be behind other successful 4 and 5 star players from day 1.

I love Renfrow, and we know he is reliable, but...

Jan 15, 2016, 8:58 PM

Cain is so much more talented. I would love to see Williams, Scott, and Cain as our starters if Cain earns his way back.

Re: I love Renfrow, and we know he is reliable, but...

Jan 15, 2016, 8:59 PM

Cain and hunter don't play the same position. Hunter is a 5 guy. Deon is a boundary receiver.
No need to compare them as they will be lining up next to each other not fighting for time.

Yeah I was just thinking about our best 3 WR's.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:04 PM

That said, you are correct.

Re: Yeah I was just thinking about our best 3 WR's.

As are you. Hunter can ball. No question. But in terms of bottom line run deep and catch the ball, Deon on paper looks more talent. Although Hunter was incredible this year in the way he was able to use his hands to make a catch. Dare I say it reminded me of Sammy.

Very true. Hard to ever doubt Renfrow. He just ets better.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:15 PM

nm

Jan 15, 2016, 9:00 PM [ in reply to I love Renfrow, and we know he is reliable, but... ]

We don't just pick the three most talented guys. They all play their positions. See my post above for the 3/5/9 chart.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:03 PM

Since people are saying that mcloud won't push Scott, do you see mcloud as a potential transfer? Scott probably won't go pro after this year, and I don't see mcloud being a backup until his senior year.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:06 PM

Also, media was reporting that Mcloud was extremely impressive in last spring/fall.

I think I remember Dabo saying that they hadn't seen a freshman WR adjust to the college game so quickly since Sammy.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I love Renfrow, and we know he is reliable, but... ]

Not too sure. I don't have much info on him. My gut feeling is that Bell transfers but I have absolutely zero reason for that haha. Other than our 5 and 9 positions are pretty full.
I do think that another year in the weight room and learning the playbook will mean more opportunities for Ray Ray. Also I think the coordinators will better figure out how to utilize him special skills. But you're right he is sort of an oddball hybrid wide receiver running back type player. For now we will probably use them like we did this year with certain packages in four and five receiver sets.

True.**

Jan 15, 2016, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I love Renfrow, and we know he is reliable, but... ]

nm

Did you watch the playoffs? 3 tds and DW4 missed him once!

Jan 16, 2016, 12:12 PM [ in reply to I love Renfrow, and we know he is reliable, but... ]

Plus Dabo said they will get him bigger and stronger!

I think Cornell Powell comes in and gets significant snaps. He is a different body type than anyone else on the roster. He's built more like an Amari Cooper/Sterling Sharpe type of guy. I think he will be a punishing, yard after catch guy.

Scott

He will go pro after this season,he's that good...

Re: Scott

Jan 15, 2016, 9:15 PM

On a sidenote it will be very interesting to see if Deshaun and Scott go pro at the same time. It would make sense as they are very tight and roommates.

Honestly RRM3 had himself a nice freshman year. But I almost wish we used a red shirt on him this year and let him be ready to take over a role next year.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:19 PM

Either way, we are incredibly stacked at WR. How WRs on next years roster do you think will see time in the NFL? There could potentially be 8. Which is crazy to think about.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:25 PM

I feel so bad for our opponents secondary.

Jan 15, 2016, 9:48 PM

Yep, not to mention that we will have a great OL, balanced rushing attack, and the best QB in the nation throwing them the ball.

Jan 15, 2016, 11:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year starting WR ]

You are right about Cornell. I believe he will be one of the best to come thru Clemson. We have so much talent we really are WRU. Our walk on is better than anyone on UTs roster. I'm so ready to see Powell. I just hope we can get him some touches there are so many WRs and we are only losing Peake!!

Can't wait to see Cornel Powell returning kicks - did you

Jan 16, 2016, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year starting WR ]

see him in Shrine bowl?

I think

Jan 15, 2016, 10:00 PM

that Renrow should be more the slot guy. I think Cain will back up Williams if he earns his way back.

Cain and Williams play the same position

Jan 15, 2016, 10:14 PM

IMO I think that the starter at that X position will be up in the air. With Williams having a whole year off Cain gained some momentum this year, but with Cain being suspended for Spring, Williams will have a chance to catch up. That will be an interesting battle to watch in spring. I think both of them are on about the same talent level. Thompson is going to be the guy left out there, I wouldn't be surprised to see him transfer at some point. I would also assume Overton will red-shirt, because he will be playing this position.

Renferow and Hopper play the slot. I think it is pretty obvious who has won that battle this year. Cornell Powell will probably be inserted into the 3rd receiver at this spot, I would not be surprised to see Powell play a little this year.

Scott and Mccloud will be your starters at the Y spot. TJ Chase will play this position. Chase should red-shirt, but I think he is talented enough to avoid it.

I cannot remember a more loaded WR group in school history. Insert Feaster, Leggett, and Gallman as other targets to throw to, Can Watson go 5,000 and 1,000 next year?

Re: Cain and Williams play the same position***

Jan 16, 2016, 12:00 PM

Re: Cain and Williams play the same position

Jan 16, 2016, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Cain and Williams play the same position ]

> IMO I think that the starter at that X position will
> be up in the air.

Not even a little bit.

Jan 15, 2016, 10:28 PM

Renfrow is not losing spot for the first half of season

Jan 15, 2016, 11:18 PM

> Renfrow is not losing spot for the first half of
> season

Renfrow is not losing his spot, ever, to anybody, and then he's going to make a lot of money in the NFL doing what he does.

The guy is turning into an absolutely phenomenal - and I mean phenomenal - slot receiver. He's astoundingly quick in and out of his breaks, he sets people up with his moves and head motion, he's meticulous and surgeon-precise in his route-running, and he's got astounding body control and athleticism. He's also much faster than people realize. People who look at him and see, say, another Tyler Grisham or Adam Humphries are just looking at the fact that he's an ordinary-sized white guy, aside from that Renfrow is by a mile the best of any of those guys. He reminds me of those guys that Tom Brady throws to with the Patriots. He's as big an impact guy as Scott or Mike Williams.

With Artavis Scott ailing a bit and Deon Cain suspended, there was a reason Renfrow became the biggest threat on the field in the national title game...despite the fact that he was being covered by a former 5-star CB in Minkah Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick - the former #2 overall corner in the country coming out of high school and a guy with 1st-round tools - got himself absolutely roasted...at least 2 PI calls - which honestly should have been 4 or 5 - and two TD's given up. Fitzpatrick will remember that one for the rest of his life, I can promise you that.

We had a lot of very impressive freshmen on the field last year, but Renfrow may have been the best of them. Which is saying something. The guy can flat-out ball and he was an amazing find for a walk-on.

Jan 15, 2016, 11:54 PM

Amen! He isn't a fan of all the fame but d@mn he is deserving of every ounce of it.
The fact that he came in at 155lb and worked his @ss off to get to where he is at now is a testament to his commitment to this team. Nobody thought he could make it. They wanted him to go play at wofford or Furman but he was all in and it has paid off.

Jan 16, 2016, 12:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Next year starting WR ]

A Diamond in the Ruff, for sure. After the second touchdown in the Natty, our fans was yelling "and he's a walk-on". I took a bathroom break right after the 2nd TD and one bama fan was going ballistic in a restroom stall. I think they knew their defense had their work cut out for them that night.

Great write-up about Renfrow and Dabo says they will build

Jan 16, 2016, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Next year starting WR ]

him up!

Does the starting lineup really matter that much

Jan 16, 2016, 10:12 AM

with our offense?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 53
| visibility 1