Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
remeber the old days when we owned virginia on the grid iron
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,288

remeber the old days when we owned virginia on the grid iron

Sep 28, 2020, 3:34 PM

?
one game in particular when a little spark plug named louis soloman led a big comeback in charlottsville to keep the streak alive.

go tigers beat the cavs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Highlights

Sep 28, 2020, 3:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVxiq-I-qs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Highlights

Sep 28, 2020, 5:17 PM

Love the music.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

Re: Highlights

Sep 28, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Highlights ]

Love the music.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger Band 70-74

I was in Charlottesville that Saturday

Sep 28, 2020, 3:53 PM

I was at that game with UVA friends. The UVA confidence and pride at the Wahoo halftime tailgates (good CHICK-FIL-A) was palpable. Yes, pride does come before the fall, but rarely that swiftly. What a day to be a Tiger!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: remeber the old days when we owned virginia on the grid iron

Sep 28, 2020, 4:05 PM

Hat still managed to lose to UVa finally. Was glad to se him go

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember those days well

Sep 28, 2020, 4:31 PM

Then came Ken Hatfield.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More accurately, UVA got good at football.

Sep 28, 2020, 5:00 PM

A huge reason why they never beat us for nearly 40 years was because they weren't very good. In fact, they were downright awful.

Since becoming an ACC member in 1954, UVA only had two winning seasons before George Welsh became their coach in 1982 (1968, 1979). Neither of those two winning seasons resulted in bowl appearances.

Things changed when Welsh took over in 1982. In his 19 years there, they only had two losing seasons. They went to 12 bowls during that span of time, including their first bowl appearance ever in 1984.

I know it's popular to blame Hatfield for being the first to lose to Virginia, but they clearly improved a lot throughout the 1980s and 1990s, and losing to them was inevitable even if Ford had stayed at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Sep 28, 2020, 4:48 PM

Really, give George Welsh some credit. He could coach. If he picked anywhere other than UVA he would likely have a natty.

UVA spent 74 years without a conference title despite being in a conference for most of that. Only a few schools have done worse. Vandy stands at 99 years currently. Miss State is at 80 years. And of course South Carolina has done worse at 77 years and is on year 51 of their second draught. Kansas State "only" did 69 years. Wash State only did 67 years.

Welsh handed UVA TWO titles which is always better than the coots one and done.

Yep. I was in a bad mood for days when we first lost to them***

Sep 28, 2020, 5:52 PM

Sep 28, 2020, 8:11 PM

As students we took a road trip to the uva game ('77). We didn't get student ticket and just bought them cheep from a random person. We ended up with really good seats right in the middle of uva alumni.

Despite us owning them, they were the nicest folks. They even bought us food and drinks. Of corse we were humble Clemson Men. The best away game ever.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,288
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic