Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I posted this inside a thread just now...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

I posted this inside a thread just now...

Jan 19, 2014, 7:26 PM

so forgive me for the double post of sorts. But I decided I wanted to cast a wider net with this question as there seem to be so many up in arms over the contract. Here was my question to one such person, and I'd appreciate serious answers from those who are displeased with things:

Why do people like you continue to watch Clemson Athletics? You sound miserable.

You remind me of the guy who sat behind me at the Orange Bowl. Dude was bashing anything and everything for four straight quarters. He was still pi$$ing and moaning when we were doing the victory formation.

So I turned around and ripped into him because I couldn't take it anymore. If you can't enjoy 30+ wins, Conference Championship game & BCS game wins in the last three years...why do you do it?

So my serious question that I'd like a legitimate answer to, is why do you continue to do something if it causes you this much discontent? Why not just hang it up and find something...ANYTHING that gives you some joy? I just don't get it, help me understand the logic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

miserable people are strangely proud of their misery

Jan 19, 2014, 7:32 PM

and want to share it with anyone within their earshot.

It's a worldwide phenomenon.

It's baffling to me...

Jan 19, 2014, 7:37 PM

masochistic in every sense.

To the older gentleman in Section 403, Row 3 of Sun Life Stadium, for what it' worth, I felt a little bad after blowing up on you in front of everyone. My apologies sir.

But you spent the entire game undermining our coaches, team and University. You shamed Clemson when you taunted injured Ohio State players from your seat, and I couldn't for the life of me understand why you'd spend several hundred dollars of your money to feel that way. I hope you understand why I reacted the way I did after listening to you in my ear for the entire game.

You don't have to apologize for

Jan 19, 2014, 7:45 PM

attempting to correct a trashy "fan" and his behavior. We don't need or want those type of people in our fan base

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

What was his response after you landblasted him ?***

Jan 19, 2014, 10:41 PM [ in reply to It's baffling to me... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

He ripped up his program and gave him a ticker take parade..

Jan 20, 2014, 8:26 AM

down the aisle (or up it).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tape...***

Jan 20, 2014, 9:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: miserable people are strangely proud of their misery

Jan 20, 2014, 9:21 AM [ in reply to miserable people are strangely proud of their misery ]

Misery loves company!

For many it's just an act. For others maybe it's a disorder

Jan 19, 2014, 7:36 PM

Either way, they seem to only want attention. And too many seem willing to give them that attention by constantly replying.

I'm a natural curmudgeon by nature.

Jan 19, 2014, 7:53 PM

I don't really like most people and tend to let things get on my nerves. I have a strong understanding of the drive of a hermit to live an isolated life.

So I understand the natural pessimist. I get surly during games and can find the negative in even positive results(which actually is not a bad trait to have).

The difference between a natural pessimist and the people to which you refer, is jealousy and covetousness. They cannot share in joy, because sharing in joy means conceding that others have a greater slice of the happiness pie and their negative outlook has to be acknowledged as beign wrong.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I'm a natural curmudgeon by nature.

Jan 19, 2014, 7:58 PM

Interesting perspective, thanks for the serious answer.

A natural pessimist I can understand. I'm overly optimistic almost always, so it would be hypocritical of me to regard such types as wrong.

However, when you can't cheer after watching your team celebrate winning the Orange Bowl...well there is something wrong with you. I feel bad for those people to be honest. Seems like a tough life to live.

Appreciate the candor. Two things:

Jan 20, 2014, 8:11 AM [ in reply to I'm a natural curmudgeon by nature. ]

1. If you are deeply driven to "hermit-ize" - why do you voluntarily subject yourself to this huge community ? ( and I guess more importantly to generally positive and upbeat folks like me - subject us to your admittedly pessimistic, hermit-like discontent )

2. Generally finding the negative in even positive results is a positive trait ??? Ughhhhh - no thanks. Life is TOO short and there is too much to see and do to look at it that way - just my opinion - which is no more right than yours.

I hope you have a blessed day in all that you do today !!!

Go T I G E R S ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: I'm a natural curmudgeon by nature.

Jan 20, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to I'm a natural curmudgeon by nature. ]

Completely agree. I would add a dose of pride. I think that a lot of people would rather be right than happy, so they set their mind on how it "should be" in their eyes and refuse to enjoy success if it wasn't achieved their way. I cannot image folks with that mindset enjoying anything in life. It honestly seems like a spiritual sickness or mental illness to me.

I suppose that compared to a “rainbows and unicorns” optimist, I seem like a pessimist, but I like to think I am a realist. As you stated, this anger in the face of success is WAY beyond pessimism and optimism.

Re: I posted this inside a thread just now...

Jan 19, 2014, 7:55 PM

Why do people like you continue to watch Clemson Athletics? You sound miserable.

1.) i'm a graduate (only school I applied to, tiger fan from birth).

2.) nothing brings me more pleasure than watching the tigers win and have lots of success (unfortunately with that comes the pain as well but as I get older, not so much...it is a game).

The main problem we have here is over reaction by those that are critical of some decisions (like myself)...

BROUGHT ON by an abundance of happy happy joy joy man crush

if that crap was eradicated, we would be a far more pleasant lot

tough for me to Rah Rah everything is beautiful with coot flags flying 5 years straight and FSU on top in the atlantic

getting approached by random coot fans everywhere i go wearing a Clemson hat or shirt...tough to stomach

to each his own

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 8:02 PM

Fair enough. I think I just find life a lot more pleasant when I focus on the positive instead of letting the negatives eat at me nonstop.

I can honestly assess our program. Every single "rah rah - happy happy joy joy" person that you refer to concedes your point of not being happy with losing 5 in a row. I can make several other honest assessments as well.

But, at the end of the day it's been proven that you can further yourself by focusing on your making your strengths stronger instead of focusing on all of your negatives. It's not that you don't try to improve them, but the positive stance that you take has a lot to do with your ability to succeed. Just my .02.

To each his own indeed.

Oh, and also, just as an FYI

Jan 19, 2014, 8:04 PM

SCar fans don't bother me, because I don't allow them to.

You see, when you take an approach that they can't get to you, they tend to let it go because soliciting a response is all they care about. True story, give it a try man. ;)

Re: Oh, and also, just as an FYI

Jan 19, 2014, 8:07 PM

i don't give them the pleasure

but it sure ticks me off...

i actually blew off the first two or three years pretty well

but man...0-5 and this new contract...too much

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sigh...

Jan 19, 2014, 8:12 PM

I'm sorry you don't get it. Be well friend, for your own sanity.

Re: Sigh...

Jan 19, 2014, 8:23 PM

what can I say...you are smarter than me my friend

hopefully one day, after release from the asylum

i will finally "get it"

It's not a match of smarter or not smarter man.

Jan 19, 2014, 8:25 PM

Don't be that way. Just trying to be nice and encouraging. That's my way. Sorry if it came at you sideways.

Dude was trying to be kind you dooooosh .... Get help.

Jan 19, 2014, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Sigh... ]

Seriously.

^^^^^^ Found one .... For sure !!!!!***

Jan 19, 2014, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I posted this inside a thread just now... ]

Coots are career losers, never knowing what its like to win.

Jan 20, 2014, 1:02 AM [ in reply to Re: I posted this inside a thread just now... ]

And, being from Columbia, I'm comfortable in saying their graduates are generally not incredibly intelligent.

Why would you care what they say?

Two words ... entitlement society!***

Jan 19, 2014, 7:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I live by a saying:

Jan 19, 2014, 9:25 PM

"Misery may love company -- but I don't keep company with misery!"

Ain't nobody got time for that... ;)

Re: I love to hand out misery to Coots. Always have and

Jan 19, 2014, 8:45 PM

always will and have never backed away from a little repartee with them.

"I am miserable and everyone else should be too."

Jan 19, 2014, 8:11 PM

signed
Whiners, moaners, backbiters, discontent, troubled, deceivers, ingorant morons, dumpers, "rationalist," and those who demand perfection in everyone except themselves

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 8:16 PM

I've said this earlier, but I will say it again. I like Dabo. I think he is taking us into a new golden age of Clemson football. I think he is a great recruiter and fantastic at managing staff. I think we have one of the top 3 staffs in the country. I couldn't be much more satisfied with Dabo, excepting the fact that he is having a rough streak with SCAR.

I still don't like the idea of an 8 year contract. I don't think any other coach in the country has an 8 year contract with that huge of a buyout. It makes me think of the whole Paul Hewitt situation at GT. He had a great contract and they had to pay a ton of money to get rid of him once he started tanking.

I just think that no one knows what the future might bring. It is highly likely that Dabo will be very, very successful at Clemson, but what if he isn't? What if, for whatever reason, we fall back to winning 7-8 games a year and losing to teams we shouldn't. Are you willing to sit through 5-8 years of that? 8 years is just an awful long time. Think about where you were and what you were doing 8 years ago, and you will see what I mean.

I think Dabo should be in the top 10-15 NCAA coaches where compensation is concerned, it is just the length of the contract that I don't like.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no argument with the business sense of the contract

Jan 19, 2014, 8:23 PM

being somewhat flawed. There's really no way you can argue that point.

However, I do see it as something I can't control, not once it's been passed by the AD and BOT. And shoot man, I sat through the 90's...so I mean I guess I'd have to sit through it if it came to it. It wouldn't be as fun as winning 10+ games a year like we have been doing...but it wouldn't change my being a Tiger for life.

The serenity prayer makes a lot of sense to me here, although I don't in any way mean to make light of people who have to use it for far worse things than College Football.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Re: I have no argument with the business sense of the contract

Jan 19, 2014, 8:27 PM

I'm not angry about the situation or anything. Like I said, I like Dabo. Right now he has us winning at a very high level. Recruiting is great. He is able to bring in really great coaches to the staff. I can't remember a time when I felt better about the staff or head coach. I'm extremely happy with Dabo at the helm. I just don't think an 8 year contract is wise. I don't care whether I am right or wrong in this instance, I just want Clemson to continue building towards greatness and continue our winning ways.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose only time will tell for us all.

Jan 19, 2014, 8:30 PM

Here's hoping our AD comes out looking like a genius instead of a moron.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride along the way. That's really the only way to do it. :)

Re: I like him, too, but I am not in favor of the foolish

Jan 19, 2014, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I posted this inside a thread just now... ]

spending of money especially when you have lost 5 straight to your rival. To me, he should be perilous close to getting his butt fired. Winning of 10 or 11 games is not my foremost priority. I know most disagree but I can't help it.

^^^^^^ Here's another one !!!!***

Jan 19, 2014, 10:39 PM

Read the comments

Jan 19, 2014, 10:43 PM

that should give you a perspective into a reputation nationally at the moment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/clemson-39-swinney-gets-8-164906283--ncaaf.html

Please. Beat LSU. Beat THE osu. That's Les Miles and crier.

Jan 19, 2014, 11:08 PM

Seems reasonably similar to Switzer and Paterno ....

Who gives a crap.

Funny how people and their agenda gets linked to the board.***

Jan 19, 2014, 11:51 PM

Paul Hewitt's contract turned over every year.***

Jan 20, 2014, 1:04 AM [ in reply to Re: I posted this inside a thread just now... ]

so you ripped into a guy..

Jan 19, 2014, 11:25 PM

who paid money to go to a ball game for acting how he felt like acting?

sounds like he ripped into a guy on behalf of the section

Jan 19, 2014, 11:31 PM

that also paid & had as much right to do as he did to ##### according to you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

epitome of liberal thinking

Jan 19, 2014, 11:32 PM [ in reply to so you ripped into a guy.. ]

allowed to say whatever you want as long as it agrees with the pumpers. the tnet way

no, i find most tnetters are fairly open to anything that's

Jan 19, 2014, 11:34 PM

presented without obvious bitterness, unlike the trash that hibernates in wait over at shakinthestupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its called truth and cant be tolerated at tnet***

Jan 20, 2014, 12:55 AM

subjective truth to a den of relative idiots...

Jan 20, 2014, 1:13 AM

you just threw your hat in with a poster, tgrfan42069, that chided the OP for "ripping a guy "who paid money" to go to a ball game for "acting how he felt like acting"?

you are so bent, warped, handicapped, biased by the site and your discontent or hatred with the situation you can't see how ####### moronic that is, so you do the only thing you can and attack it as "the epitome of liberal thinking".

there's your truth.

so your answer is to hide behind

Jan 20, 2014, 9:45 AM

your keyboard and call other Clemson fans trash that simply disagree with how this team is managed? I guess we see who the real classy fans are on this board.

you're back with more after your embarrassing display...

Jan 20, 2014, 9:48 AM

makes perfect sense.

"herp derp", there's your classy sts' fan.

embarrassing display? you mean not agreeing with you.***

Jan 20, 2014, 9:52 AM

Re: embarrassing display? you mean not agreeing with you.***

Jan 20, 2014, 9:54 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14953413

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14953511

I'm sure the irony of your's and tgrfan's statements is lost on

Jan 20, 2014, 8:02 AM [ in reply to epitome of liberal thinking ]

you completely.

smh

The poster didn't pay to hear somebody make a fool of

Jan 19, 2014, 11:54 PM [ in reply to so you ripped into a guy.. ]

themself while watching Clemson beat Ohio St. You would think we were losing to Wake Forest.

Jan 20, 2014, 9:51 AM

Misery loves company.

Many people are discontent with their own lives. (for whatever reason) In an effort to make themselves feel better, they seek others to share their misery with. (and it's even worse in today's world with social media, internet, etc.)

I guess they feel that if they can find someone who is more miserable, then they can find happiness in their own situation not being as bad as someone else's situation.

It's twisted when you break it down, but (sadly) it's true.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic