Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey, I need y'all to crush my latest dream.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 928

Hey, I need y'all to crush my latest dream.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:50 AM

Why would a brick and mortar BBQ supply store not work. Basically I'd have all sorts of cooking apparatuses that aren't commonly found at Lowe's or Home Depot. I'd get with all of these YouTube folks who sell their seasonings online to see if they can sell to me in bulk. The idea there is folks could just pick it up and I'd set the total price just lower than what it would cost to ship. I'd have all the pellets and various lump coals and smoking woods. I'd also have weekend demos where folks can drink beers and watch folks show off equipment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've never known a better time to open up a brick and mortar

Jan 13, 2021, 10:53 AM

store. Amazon and Walmarts are really struggling right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First reply and dream is killed. Success!!!

Jan 13, 2021, 11:45 AM

I think you should go for it.

Jan 13, 2021, 10:55 AM

You will definitely succeed in a niche market of a niche market that I could easily get from an Amazon search

FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

There’s one of those across from the Walmart

Jan 13, 2021, 10:57 AM

in Boiling Springs. I went to a demo of the new Webber pellet grill awhile back.

They also sell fireplace inserts etc.

I think it would be neat to pair with a gourmet butcher shop and a connected brewpub.

There’s something like that in the low country too because Jack Waiboer & John Bannister are always doing demos there.

If there’s not one in Greenville, I think you’ve found your opportunity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

I think he makes around 30% of his profit from LP refills***

Jan 13, 2021, 11:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Ditto on the butcher shop combo. I think that's genius.***

Jan 13, 2021, 11:02 AM [ in reply to There’s one of those across from the Walmart ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could supply all the squirrels and trespassers he would

Jan 13, 2021, 11:25 AM

need. Both should grill up just fine, and there aren't a lot of butcher shops specializing in squirrels and trespassers.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was thinking as I typed out my OP that being in the same

Jan 13, 2021, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Ditto on the butcher shop combo. I think that's genius.*** ]

parking lot as a butcher shop would be pretty sweet. I don't know as I'd want to deal with all the health stuff that they do though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Irony....across from WALMART there is a spot.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:06 AM [ in reply to There’s one of those across from the Walmart ]

On Wade Hampton. Forget the name of it, but sounds similar in that they sell green eggs, fireplace inserts, etc. Older folk, family biz.

You talkin' about the Fire House Casual Living

Jan 13, 2021, 11:09 AM

Store?

Not sure what the name is.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:16 AM

It is also across the street from Fire House subs though. Right next to Waffle house and maybe a block towards Greenville from Aldi. Taylors address maybe?

Isn't there one also on the backside of Haywood Mall

Jan 13, 2021, 11:19 AM

cattycorner to Flour Daniel?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may be Craft Stove Store and Patio.***

Jan 13, 2021, 11:27 AM

BGE retailer.

Jan 13, 2021, 12:44 PM

and the one on Wade Hampton also sells BGEs and a few other high end grills.

They both have some stuff that fits in what you are thinking about, but it is not their primary focus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It may be Craft Stove Store and Patio.***

Jan 13, 2021, 1:07 PM [ in reply to It may be Craft Stove Store and Patio.*** ]

Yea that is it. They always advertise on The Roar. Nice little jingle- Craft stove store annnndd patio

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do that, but in a travel trailer and just sell at BBQ

festivals and events.

Maybe, hire KISS or AC/DC to play acoustic out front to attract attention. Sell ice cream and BJ's too

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heart you.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:19 AM

Never change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think its a great idea

your main problem would probably the pricing on the cooking equipment. You would have to somehow get pricing down to where you could be competitive at a 30% margin. You would need at least a line of commonly found apparatuses for the new guy/gal and then get them hooked on your shop and create a repeat customer.

You could make a ton off of aprons with funny quotes, collegiate ones, functional ones. Books would be a good addition. You could also sell a ton of silicone gloves and that kind of stuff, which has to be some good margin.

I think its a good idea. People still want that personal connection and you can market the heck out of yourself for CHEAP online and grab all of the stay at home workers. Add in a couple of local beer taps for people to sip and shop and you have a homerun.

Downside, you wont make money for a couple of year and you are going to work open to close for a long time. But you dont have kids, so that could be fun.

DO IT!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The last paragraph is the killer. Very little return until

Jan 13, 2021, 11:02 AM

you really build the business...if you survive that long. LOTS of work as well, no time off.

Do it, aerozeptallica.

It really is a good idea, just hard to get off the ground without wealthy financiers backing you.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They do exist

Jan 13, 2021, 11:02 AM

But I think typically they are associate with or spring from someone who already has the street cred as a Youtube BBQer/competition chef/professional pit-master.

I for one prefer to support a local small business such as this rather than order online when I have the option. I can and do get a lot of the stuff your talking about from local hardware stores etc, but a dedicated store with demos and the like would be very nice.

IT'S ONLY UNTHINKABLE IF YOU DON'T THINK IT!

We have one here, but they also sell a lot of the

Jan 13, 2021, 11:04 AM

million dollar patio furniture sets. More of an outdoor living store than a pure bbq store.

See, I know I'd struggle with the patio stuff because

Jan 13, 2021, 11:14 AM

I don't much care. I do think there are folks like me out there who don't want to wait on Kent Rollins, or Malcom Reed to ship stuff out. They just want to be able to go get it. Or don't want to drive around in hopes somebody has some apple wood due to poor planning.

I would compare the viability to that of a brick and mortar

Jan 13, 2021, 11:17 AM

beer homebrewing supply store.

It's a niche, but rabid crowd. I think you would have to plan on having a healthy online e-comerce presence as well to make it truly profitable.

The rub on that e-comerce part is

Jan 13, 2021, 11:23 AM

where would I add value comparted to the folks already on line? At that point I think I'd have to have my own line of rubs and various accessories.

Selection and service.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:33 AM

I'll give you an example from the car world. There are a lot of car enthusiast sites I visit. Let's take Land Rover as an example. There are a brazillion places to buy car parts online, but there are a couple guys who are regulars on the Land Rover forum and go out of their way to offer advice, small discounts to forum members, etc, and they get people's business as a result.

I don't think the BBQ community is any different, and you could do similarly well by being a friendly face in those online communities.

I also didn't think of the value added by being able to

Jan 13, 2021, 11:40 AM

ship out numerous folks' stuff rather than a buyer needing to go to a bunch of different sites.

Re: We have one here, but they also sell a lot of the

Jan 13, 2021, 11:22 AM [ in reply to We have one here, but they also sell a lot of the ]

What about the beer though?

local hardware store has all dis***

Jan 13, 2021, 11:21 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

They do not.***

Jan 13, 2021, 11:24 AM

mine does***

Jan 13, 2021, 1:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

I only see stuff like this at the big store and they

Jan 13, 2021, 1:20 PM

really don't have that much variety.

Re: Hey, I need y'all to crush my latest dream.

Jan 13, 2021, 11:22 AM

I don't want you to lose your money based on my opinion, but I would love that. That would be cool.

I think it’s a great idea…

Jan 13, 2021, 11:27 AM

And I love some of the suggestions you’ve got like brewpub connectivity barbecue butcher shop etc.

In fact, if you went ahead and set up a commercial kitchen in the back you could rent it to food truck operators as a side business. I’ve got a friend that does that in Columbia makes really good money.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same typa place here in Charleston called Ghost Kitchen

Jan 13, 2021, 11:30 AM

where you can rent a commercial kitchen space for hours or days. They also offer walk-in storage space rental for pop-up/food truck vendors.

I once upon a time had an idea of finding a closed down

Jan 13, 2021, 11:31 AM [ in reply to I think it’s a great idea… ]

restaurant and turning that into a "Food truck service center" I'd have had lockers in coolers where the folks could store stuff. Make a bunch of cooking stations/ prep stations, and have a team of delivery folks so if a truck happened to run out of something they could call up to restock.

All of that seemed really hard so I gave up. Also, I cannot afford a shuttered restaurant building.

Trop’s dream is opening a brick & mortar “Brick & Mortar Store”

Jan 13, 2021, 12:05 PM

You know sell different kinds of bricks, cinder blocks and cement.

It’s pretty obvious why I didn’t make VP before I retired.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do a proforma and then I will crush your dream

Jan 13, 2021, 12:38 PM

how much of this stuff do you have to sell to make it worth it?

If you do this, I would add some BBQ themed clothing/merchandise, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The best ideas are usually the roads less traveled, so my gut

Jan 13, 2021, 1:38 PM

instinct tells me to do just the opposite. Instead of a brick & mortar store, try something crazy... like a website that sells all of this stuff and ships directly to the end customer. Come up with a nifty name... for ex, "Nile"... an ancient river that people depended on for generations to transport goods... which would speak to your robust supply chain.

I don't know, just a thought.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

there was, that's the key word here, in rincon ga, just west

Jan 13, 2021, 1:45 PM

of here. guy didn't do much on-line business. that coupled with the rona lock-down killed him.

Luckily, Rona will be gone way before I had the capital to

Jan 13, 2021, 2:46 PM

get moving on any of my half-baked ideas.

Replies: 40
| visibility 928
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic