Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Soccer peeps...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,500

Soccer peeps...

Dec 1, 2019, 7:54 PM

I enjoy watching soccer but wasn't raised on it so don't understand it the way i do American fb. What's your thoughts on why we have struggled to score in the postseason, against equal or worse competition than in the regular season, when we set so many scoring records etc. Is it our hopefully Herman award winner being absent and having to work back in? Whats the deal?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Soccer peeps...

Dec 1, 2019, 8:05 PM

Basically Virginia,Charlotte even though the Tigers Won and now Providence; all have done a good job on Defense against the Tigers and frustrating the Tigers into fouling and taking them out of their game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Soccer peeps...

Dec 1, 2019, 8:07 PM

Thank you for the soccer for dummies. Is this indicative of a defensive style that people can "copycat" to shut us down going forward?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have watched, played and reffed a lot of soccer

Dec 1, 2019, 8:53 PM

I haven’t watched any Clemson this year.

The short answer for me is yes. There are ways for the defense to sort of dictate what the offense can do. Wide field, narrow field, etc. I guess it’s like a football team stacking the box and daring someone to run on them.

Defense can sit back and give up the middle third while honing in on the defensive third of the field. They can challenge further into the middle third and/or force teams inside or wide. Depending on the offense of the opposition this may be beneficial one way or the other.

Then of course there is luck and skill, teams can do what they want, but blind luck and skill will prevail.

I noticed Providence played more middies than usual

Dec 1, 2019, 9:01 PM

Was that part of a strategy to slow our offense? Seemed they played more middies and less forwards than most. Something like a 3-6-1?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having not watched the game

Dec 1, 2019, 9:19 PM

That sounds more like a defensive strategy to slow our offense.

If they were confident in their attack /being equally as good it would have been more balanced with backs and forwards.

Solely based on reading what you are saying they were playing defensively and hoping for a counter attack goal.

we have looked more disjointed in recent games

Dec 1, 2019, 8:22 PM

Mayaka has not had the same level of control and has been chasing plays more getting cheap fouls.

Smith has become a ghost on the field and has minimal impact.

Now is this a result of better defense? I will admit I am not as sharp of a soccer mind to detect certain styles of pressing that teams employ, but I can’t imagine that it’s entirely self induced

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,500
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic