Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts on why Travis had such a good night. For you X and O types.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Thoughts on why Travis had such a good night. For you X and O types.

Dec 21, 2020, 9:03 AM

Obviously there were several factors. One was I do think the line did a better job Saturday. Another was that Trevor running and being able to do the RPO opened things up for Travis. Another, and this may be controversial, is how Travis was running. At times this year it was almost like he was trying to be cute and would do a spin move. Worked a few times but then Saturday he was running hard like always and once he hit the defense if there is a miss, he’s gone. I know our offense feeds each other. When Travis and Trevor run well it opens up our passing and when our passing is going well opens up the run. Are there any other specifics that you noticed?

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts on why Travis had such a good night. For you X and O types.

Dec 21, 2020, 9:11 AM

I think the biggest difference was the sequence of play calling. We really mixed it up well early and never ran him on 1st down ,like we've done a bunch. We were all over the place with the play calls , and by the time we started feeding him a little, they were gassed. He definitely "ran" better , but I think it was schematic as well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair argument. I do remember Travis running on every first down and seemingly getting nothing***

Dec 21, 2020, 9:13 AM

Dec 21, 2020, 9:12 AM

The short answer is ND knew that we weren't going to give DJ free reign to start throwing long passes in Game 1. They were able to bring the secondary in and bottle things up. However, with TL, he is capable of making a throw to anywhere/anyone on the field. They pulled the secondary back, which is why both Travis and TL were able to have big runs. The whole "bend don't break" mentality. We simply have too many weapons on the offense - it has to be a DC's nightmare.

Dec 21, 2020, 9:18 AM

This:

DJ is awesome but there is still some growth to be made. There is a big timing element to the RPO and 10 days as the starter is tough if you were not the starter. However, with TL, you can't creep up and basically lean against our run. He is simply faster and better and then has the accuracy to dominate and secondary that isn't in a prevent-style formation. We saw on Saturday how Elliot/TLs deep threat just changes the outlook and momentum and defensive plan is nearly one play. However, with Elliot does not have that deep thread (See KB2) then Ds just line up for the run and it is a long night if we can't pushed them.

A lot of that "cute" stuff is mostly because there are not lanes for ETN to burst through. You have the defenders penetrating in a numbers game. If the D is in more of a coverage/nickel formation as the defensive line is now a numbers game with lanes for ETN to work in space. ETN's "best" attribute might be is ability to both burst as well as out-maneuver the linebackers/secondary. Really, ETN is the dagger to defensive options for a spread offense - the shotgun of our pistol formation.

I might not be 100% accurate with this, but I'm basically

Dec 21, 2020, 9:19 AM

never going to blame Travis for anything except the obvious turnovers or missed blocks. If he has an off night, it's almost certainly not anything he did wrong. Just look at his yards per carry totals for his career:

2017 - 7.2 YPC
2018 - 8.1 YPC
2019 - 7.8 YPC
2020 - 5.6 YPC

Travis didn't suddenly get worse as a RB after dominating opponents for 3 years. He deserves the benefit of the doubt at pretty much all times. His OL got worse this year and he's also drawn more attention from DCs as the Clemson WR corp has taken a step back in 2020 and doesn't pose the same threat down the field as it did with Higgins and (healthy) Justyn Ross. This was especially true when TL was out and the obvious game plan was to take away Etienne and force the FR QB to win the game.

You hit the nail on the head.

Dec 21, 2020, 9:31 AM

Four new starters on the line and a ton of injuries and graduation at receiver never made it easier to run lol

The good game last night? It could be a mix of all the things said here, and also that it might have just taken our new O-line this long to gel.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely helps having TL running the ball

Dec 21, 2020, 9:33 AM

and the Oline had their best game of the season. Hopefully they can keep it going in the playoffs!

Dec 21, 2020, 9:51 AM

The true answer is a combination of things as success is most often cumulative. Better play calling, better blocking, super motivated team, TL16s decision making, the threat of TL16s legs, etc.

Regardless I am thankful for the improvement.

Dec 21, 2020, 10:08 AM

I think it camE down to TL’s running ability, pocket present, not going down easily. Forced ND to focus on him, it gave the receivers a chance to get open, ND doesn’t have the corners to cover Clemsons Wrs for long. A combination of things for sure.

The answer is easy

Dec 21, 2020, 11:34 AM

Trevor's legs opened things up for Travis. Simple as that. Every time he burnt their DEs and LBs for keying on Travis, the door was cracked open a little more. By the 2nd quarter, the defense was playing honest.

That said, it was inexcusable for them to allow the long TD run on 4th down right before the half.

Obviously the O-line showed their pride and raised their game big time.

Going forward, OSU still has cleat marks from Trevor on their behinds. I think they will take shots at him early.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic