Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have any of you fine folks jumped on the 5G train yet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 530

Have any of you fine folks jumped on the 5G train yet?

Jan 11, 2021, 1:00 PM

The ole S7 is starting to annoy me so thinking of getting a new phone. Any real value added to the 5G?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's faster, in select areas, nothing special. 4G LTE is

Jan 11, 2021, 1:01 PM

fast enough for nearly every application of cellular connection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I'm thinking my lag issues have way more to do with

Jan 11, 2021, 1:02 PM

the phones age than the network. For example, it takes Maps way too long to open up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, that's the phone.

Jan 11, 2021, 1:25 PM

Unfortunately battery technology and I have to imagine phone OS software updates puts in a lifespan into phones of 2-3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

5 guy train? I don't think that's 'a train', as much as it's

Jan 11, 2021, 1:01 PM

oh, you mean 5G, as in the mobile network standard...

no.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 5 guy train? I don't think that's 'a train', as much as it's

Jan 11, 2021, 1:06 PM

a circlejerk?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm also quite embarrassed about how much I pondered

Jan 11, 2021, 1:09 PM

if five guys could form a "train" and would it be possible for the middle three to simultaneously take dick and give dick. I think there would need to be a 6th person on drums so they could bang to the beat.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love this circlejerk algorithm from Silicon Valley

Jan 11, 2021, 1:39 PM

The measurement we are looking for is D to Floor so let’s call that D2F. Lmao

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P-hUV9yhqgY

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

uh, i've never watched Silicon Valley

Jan 11, 2021, 1:55 PM

and now, based on that 3 minute clip, i feel like I've done myself a disservice

I've got it. Pointless for phones IMO

Jan 11, 2021, 1:18 PM

I have yet to find a need on my phone for the added bandwidth. I can't tell the difference between HD and 4K streaming on the phone anyway. But I expect they think if they build it you will ### and use more bandwidth, but that hasn't happened on my phone.

It's not worth the upgrade IMO just for the 5G in other words. Better camera, sure. Faster processor, sure. But 5G has not made a bit of difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A question from an ignorant: is it possible that this will

Jan 11, 2021, 1:29 PM

be a household internet access? IE, can it replace wifi, supplying video to multiple devices and TVs, etc?

Even if so, my guess is that it will be like cable cutting, with costs rising to get the same dollars from the customer anyway. I have read a few industry pieces on this, and they are understandably focused somewhat on the technolgical similarities and difference. However, what a guy like me wants to know is, "If I buy a 5G iPad (if they make those) and can cast that to a TV, and I drop the internet service, have a shot myself in the foot in any way?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Supposedly that's the plan. I think you can get 5g routers

Jan 11, 2021, 1:51 PM

now, not to be confused with 5Ghz. But actual routers that use 5G cellular signals to distribute bandwidth. It will only work in select urban areas and it will be years before that catches on, if ever. But yeah, it has gigabit speeds, technically.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just hope they get it at Death Valley before we all show

Jan 11, 2021, 1:52 PM

up there again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, hopefully that lends an advantage***

Jan 11, 2021, 2:15 PM

Ah, got it. Was not aware (a standard condition) of the 5g

Jan 11, 2021, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Supposedly that's the plan. I think you can get 5g routers ]

router. Will read up. Thank you kindly.

I'm wondering why it wouldn't catch on, if one of two services can be dropped. But we thought that about cable cutting too, and in 3 years that has gone from an easy decision to difficult. I don't want to divert into political in this thread, but this industry seems to be one in need of a breakup, with too many mergers creating an oligarchy. Every industry thinks they are a utility, providing better service due to decreased competition, but that always neglects the unseen innovation that didn't happen. An Elon Musk wasn't going to happen until NASA quit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure 5G will have a place.

Jan 11, 2021, 2:20 PM

BUT, based on my current 5G Verizon cell plan, if our entire house was on my 5G cell plan, my next bill would be north of $30,000.

LOL. Right. And that was another facet of my ignorance, which

Jan 11, 2021, 2:59 PM

is how 5g is currently being billed, data plans, etc. Phones are not how I access internet, maybe occasionally as a hotspot, so I haven't cared up to this point. But yes, I figure its like TV content: there is X dollars they want to get from Y bandwidth, and one service or two, you will eventually pay it.

We cut the cord and use around 3TB a month

Jan 11, 2021, 3:52 PM

3 kids, both work from home, etc.

So if I get 2GB with our cell data plan, and $10/gig thereafter....yeah. Not even a possibility I'd use it for home internet. Their unlimited plan may work for $99/mo or whatever. But then they throttle that back at 20GB, so there's that too.

3 TERRABYTES?

Jan 11, 2021, 4:41 PM

we work from home, stream (almost) all TV, are mostly addicted to the interwebs, have upwards of 70 connected devices on the wifi here, and are under 1TB for the last 30 days

House of 5. Cable cut. Both working from home.

Jan 11, 2021, 6:57 PM

3 kids watching 3 TV's streaming. Oldest is a gamer. Zoom calls all day. Yeah, it's 30GB sometimes for Fortnite updates.

Not to mention the old man's squirting midget BDSM lesbian 4K prawn viewing.

It adds up.

yeah, but...the midget pron

Jan 11, 2021, 8:09 PM

uses up half the bandwidth of normal person pron

it's simple maths, really

Got a Google Pixel 5 a few weeks ago...

Jan 11, 2021, 1:25 PM

that has 5G.

I don't do a whole lot on my phone that would show the difference much. However, I did work over the break on my laptop tethered off of my phone with a 5G connection and I could tell a bit difference there.

I had to get a new phone and my thinking was to get one with 5G...mainly because you don't know what you don't know and in 2-3 yrs there may be a use for it.

As an aside, this is my first Google phone and so far I like it a lot. Had been on LG phones for a few previous, which I also liked, but once I got used to the swipe versus hard/soft buttons, I find it a lot better. Makes it difficult to switch between tablet and phone now though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pixel 3 here, and love it. Was a Samsung Galaxy

Jan 11, 2021, 1:28 PM

only user for years, but Google makes a good phone. The camera is amazing

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pixel 3 gang!

Jan 11, 2021, 1:32 PM

i don't think i could go with any android phone (like samsung or LG, expecially LG) that puts their own 'skin' over android

Had the PIxel 1 XL before this, and a few Moto X's that were just 'vanilla' android, makes for a much better experience

Has your battery life gone to shidyet?

Jan 11, 2021, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Pixel 3 here, and love it. Was a Samsung Galaxy ]

I have a Pixel 3 as well. Great phones, EXCEPT I can't get a full day out of the battery. My iPhone 8 XR work phone lasts like 4 days.

my batt's cool, cool enough anyway

Jan 11, 2021, 1:59 PM

coming up on 2 years having it.

what HAS started happening, VERY sporadically, but INCREDIBLY annoying, is that the phones (both SheGUAR and I have the Pixel 3) will just go into an incessant bootloop, like there's a fault in the power button....extremely sensitive, will activate the camera and turn itself on/off...

It happens, and will be nonstop for an hour....and then won't happen again for months

no explaination

Never had that happen before

Jan 11, 2021, 2:03 PM

Jealous of your battery

update

Jan 15, 2021, 10:35 AM

stubborn_tiger®

My phone went into a bit of one of those boot-loop tailspins last night, first time since November....this one only a couple times, then stalled out on the "G" start-up screen

and since then, all I've gotten is a "Cannot Load Android System. Your Data May Be Corrupt..." and a couple more line basically saying I'm F'd

The options are "Try Again" (which hasn't had any success in about 10 tries) or Factory Reset...which I'll try in a bit. Most of my stuff is uploaded and sync'd somewhere, but there was a bunch of random stuff (probably stuff I don't care about) that was saved only to the phone, so I'm gonna look at a couple options from the interwebs first....

TLDR, you jinxed my phone. You owe me a new phone.

oh, found a pig....not pmine

Looks like some kernal panic that corrupted your

Jan 15, 2021, 10:46 AM

whole file system. It's never happened to me on a phone, but it's happened to me on other UNIX and UNIX-like systems in the past.

I'm sorry bro. I just ran the latest droid update and mine still running like a sewing machine.

i don't know what that means

Jan 15, 2021, 11:30 AM

might try to run by Verizon, but SheGUAR took hers by there a few months ago while it was actively doing this shizz, and they said they couldn't halp her

maybe it's phone-covid.

I would not get a new phone for 5G alone

Jan 11, 2021, 2:28 PM

The 5G build is at about 6% now. This means it is in select cities and in very refined areas. Could you be in your neighborhood as a home options? Yes. Will it? Not likely.

5G is capital intensive and requires lots of radios (high radio density).

Ask yourself what you need more bandwidth more. 5G promises buffer-free video among many other things that 4G promised. There are other promises like low latency and so forth you won't care about.

You won't feel like you bought anything and you'll spend all your time trying to see if you have 5G service. Then you won't know why it matters when you do.

5G will likely get to about 38% of full build out by 2026. If you're buying for 5G, wait a year and see what the folks are saying then

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I think I can do without that added cost.

Jan 11, 2021, 2:40 PM

Now to determine which 4G phone will have legs as 5G expands.

4G isn't going anywhere. Get a 5G phone if the cost is good

Jan 11, 2021, 3:01 PM

but not for the 5G.

Also, 5Ge from ATT is not 5G

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

I see no difference

Jan 11, 2021, 7:12 PM

the few times I actually connected to 5g, I didn't notice a difference

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

running 12pro and loving 5G. tower right outside by house

Jan 11, 2021, 7:35 PM

so Chemo options also appreciated

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 530
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic