Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I learned on TigerNet today that our football team has been at a talent disadvantage.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 4,107

I learned on TigerNet today that our football team has been at a talent disadvantage.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:40 PM

Yes, that’s right. Our lowly recruits have only been competitive against the mighty Crimson Tide and Buckeyes in the past due to great coaching, and not talent.

Unfortunately, last year against LSU and this year against Ohio State, we were outmanned because both teams were just so much more talented than us. I’ve read here that our offensive line, defensive line, and secondary are all lacking in talent. Our fine coaches had no hope of overcoming our talent deficiencies.

Now I’m questioning the accuracy of the “we too deep” mantra, as well as the exciting recruiting wrap-ups on signing day each year talking about what great recruits we have and how amazing it is that we recruit nationally now.

I have also learned today that the only solution is to start aggressively pursuing transfer players. If we had done that during the last few years like LSU and Ohio State, we might not have had to suffer with the likes of Trevor Lawrence at QB or Travis Etienne at RB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I learned on TigerNet today that our football team has been at a talent disadvantage.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:42 PM

It was sure fun while it lasted

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like we are a basketball and soccer school now.***

Jan 4, 2021, 10:44 PM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Looks like we are a basketball and soccer school now.***

Jan 4, 2021, 10:45 PM

Well, we might actually BE a basketball skewl this year ??

Still trying not to get my hopes up

Message was edited by: InletTiger15®

Re: Looks like we are a basketball and soccer school now.***

Jan 4, 2021, 10:50 PM [ in reply to Looks like we are a basketball and soccer school now.*** ]

Yep, it all makes less sense knowing how well we have done in transfer pickups in basketball. After all, there is no difference between the basketball and football portals.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but I’ve also learned here that Brownell relies too much on transfers.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:53 PM

And that he should recruit better like Dabo so he doesn’t have to go the transfer route.

I has the confuse.

Re: Yes, but I’ve also learned here that Brownell relies too much on transfers.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:58 PM

You’re kidding right? The reason why we have lost all these games is because Dabo won’t use the portal! Fire Brad!!!! Maybe Brad should take over recruiting for Dabo since we are a Soccer school. HTH!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2021, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Yes, but I’ve also learned here that Brownell relies too much on transfers. ]

Here’s the thing, we will probably utilize the portal in the future once Dabo has a firm handle on it and a system in place to integrate transfers into our program. Right now he doesn’t and I support CDS fully because he has given us no reason not to. What’s aggravating are the never ending post using the Ohio loss to criticize the greatest coach Clemson has ever had. I really don’t think anyone is opposed to it outside of Dabo doing it when he is ready and that’s a fact. Call me a homer, I love our coach!

I also think we may be the last to do it because Dabo is a man of his word and has been so vocal about opposing it. Doing it the year after a loss would portray a win at all cost (cost being integrity) attitude and that’s not the look he wants. Like it or not we may need to win a championship the old fashion way or have such an undeniable drop off before we see this get relaxed!

Message was edited by: InletTiger15®

Jan 5, 2021, 6:46 AM

I have a suggestion of a good place to start.

Arik Gilbert is in the portal, leaving LSU

If I remember correctly, he was pretty high on Clemson.

While I think our TE's were under utilized this year, we do have two solid upper classmen, and the #1 freshman in Jake Briningstool

Arik Gilbert was the #4 overall player, and would be a fine addition.

Size at WR, due to injuries, was a weakness this year. Look what ND (& tOSU) did with multiple TE sets this year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I learned on TigerNet today that our football team has been at a talent disadvantage.

Jan 4, 2021, 10:47 PM

CFB is becoming like the NFL and in the NFL you build through the draft but every now and again you get that free agent to complete the team in any particular year.

I don't think you say the #### with recruiting but a transfer or 3 could have been used on defense Friday night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Judge, our team is elite, they just happened to go up

Jan 4, 2021, 11:08 PM

against better teams in 2017, 2019, and 2020.

We have been six times and we have won it all twice.

Once in dominating fashion and once in a close game that came down to the last possession.

We may have been the better team, and lost, on only one occasion (2015), but that Bama team was really good too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

I agree, we won't be the best team every year

Jan 5, 2021, 11:20 AM

but I have a problem when people try to rationalize two blowout playoff losses in a row by saying that we are hurting for talent.

Yes, this year Ohio Stae was more talented than us.

Jan 4, 2021, 11:37 PM

We still have elite talent, and are more talented than almost every other team out there, but we were physically manhandled by Ohio State, and yes we were outmanned last year against LSU. We're only "lacking" against one or two teams the past couple of years. If we are going to win another National Championship, odds are we are going to have to get better, talent-wise, in certain areas. That's just a fact; no need to panic or reinvent the wheel or be all negative.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

The negativity comes from those who whine about how

Jan 5, 2021, 11:53 AM

we don't have enough talent, and blaming it on our coaches not using the transfer portal.

Being an elite program, we should be able to get all the talent we need via regular recruiting. Isn't that a main reason why we have the highest paid coaching staff and the best facilities in college football?

We've been elite for about 5 years now, so we have plenty of recent history to use in recruiting.

It would be different if we were an up-and-coming program trying to somehow compete with the big boys who have a much better history and better resources (sort of like we have had to do in the past with basketball).

And the Sky is Falling...***

Jan 5, 2021, 5:03 AM

Jan 5, 2021, 10:49 AM

When you get in the CFP and start talking about winning a Natty, the difference in talent does not have to be great to make the difference.

There is a world of difference between winning the ACC and winning the Natty.

One more thing: If you want to compete for the Natty every year, you better be looking to get better every year. Often that requires taking a good hard look in the mirror (all of the time).
I am sure our coaching staff agrees.

Absolutely. It's really hard to make the playoffs every year

Jan 5, 2021, 11:57 AM

and even harder to win a national championship.

But people here are being naive if they think it's just because we didn't get a transfer or two.

I know it's a sure recipe to get downvoted, but the bigger issue these last two games in my opinion is with coaching. We didn't seem prepared to play in either of these games, nor did we seem willing or able to make adjustments when we needed to most.

Please understand that I think our coaches are great. The best staff in college football IMO. But they aren't perfect, and my concern is that our success has caused our staff to get complacent (unintentionally, not on purpose).

Re: Absolutely. It's really hard to make the playoffs every year

Jan 5, 2021, 5:09 PM

Plus we have some great talent in certain areas that are just young.

Re: Absolutely. It's really hard to make the playoffs every year

Jan 5, 2021, 6:50 PM [ in reply to Absolutely. It's really hard to make the playoffs every year ]

To be fair we were down a coach. Although I think Streeter will be an excellent coordinator when Tony leaves, having to step in for the biggest game of year is a tough spot.

I like the tongue-in-cheek post Judge

Jan 5, 2021, 8:06 PM

IMHO the 2018 team with the senior Power Rangers (and Simmons, Mullen, Muse, Kvon, Terrell, Lamar and more) was the all-time most talented Defense at Clemson. Skalski and Chad Smith could not get a sniff of the starting line-up with the vastly under appreciated multi-year starter Kendall Joseph on the team.

Yes, after 2018, the Tigers Defense has gotten slower and the O-line has diminished. Cycles happen. But not cycling out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 4,107
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic