Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tell you what, Congress lost the messaging on this bill.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 647

Tell you what, Congress lost the messaging on this bill.

Dec 23, 2020, 5:45 AM

Why is it that so many people think that the money going for foreign aid, and museums and whatnot have anything to do with COVID relief? The members of Congress who voted for this are obviously not properly communicating just what was passed. Even the President seems to confuse the appropriations for the federal government with COVID relief. (Though in his case I think it's likely more intentional obfuscation than misundertanding.)

Folks, most of the bill that was passed is for funding the federal government through most of next year. It is not taking "COVID money" and giving it to Pakistan or the Kennedy Center. This funding will have to be done anyway to avoid a government shutdown. Now, can it be voted on separately from COVID relief? Of course it can, and maybe it should. Are the appropriations way too large? As a conservative, I give a big hearty amen to that! But people need to understand what they are complaining about. The money going to Pakistan is a completely separate issue from the sufficiency of the COVID relief.

Also, they have absolutely blown the messaging about the COVID relief itself. There's this thought that the "only" thing Congress did was give $600 to people. $600 times however many people is not even close to $900 billion. Why is it that it's not understood that the stimulus checks are only a relatively small portion of the relief that's actually in the bill? Again, Congress needs to step up and make sure people understand what is in the bill.

Personally, I don't think we should have the stimulus checks at all. I don't think they really help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Irony not lost that the last time we had a balanced budget

Dec 23, 2020, 5:56 AM

The only time in my lifetime, was the few years Clinton used the line item veto.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Irony not lost that the last time we had a balanced budget

Dec 23, 2020, 9:09 AM

I always attributed Clinton's balanced budgets more with the booming economy that the line item.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:09 AM

yeah, something about a tech bubble and the largest decade of economic growth ever.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 10:56 AM

And the Contract with America.

I'll take Selective Memory for $2000 Alex.

It is a great bill.

Dec 23, 2020, 6:00 AM

I believe it because they tell me so. They are pros at legislating so I trust them implicitly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice try.

Dec 23, 2020, 6:12 AM

Difference is, this is a matter of opinion, not a matter of facts and subject matter expertise.

In the "trust the doctor" analogy, this would be more akin to the doctor's opinion about how to organize his practice, not his medical instruction to me.

There was proposed legislation for Lymphedema

Dec 23, 2020, 7:51 AM

that was struck out of the package. This was severely needed, much more than Gender Programs.

https://lymphedematreatmentact.org/

Re: Tell you what, Congress lost the messaging on this bill.

Dec 23, 2020, 8:00 AM

It’s all dollars going to foreign countries while our own people are suffering. I don’t care if it’s just dollars being appropriated or not. It’s American dollars going to foreign countries while many of our own are suffering. 1/3 of restaurants will be shut in 6 months. What do you not understand about that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with you...

Dec 23, 2020, 8:27 AM

I just think they are separate issues. We have long given way too much foreign aid, in my opinion, but that has nothing to do with the COVID situation.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Tell you what, Congress lost the messaging on this bill. ]

Please let's not get distracted (again) by our miniscule % of budget that we spend on foreign aid.

In 2019, the US spent $40B dollars on foreign aid out of a budget of $4.4T. You guys can check my math but I think that works out to less than 1/1000th of the budget spent on foreign aid.

If we want to be a world leader, this seems a rather reasonable amount to spend help to make the world a slightly better and more stable place. It benefits us in the long run if the world gets a little better and remains more stable. We are getting more than a fair return in our investment when you look at the big picture.

I promise you that oligarchs who don't really need the help are getting way more than $40B out of this package. They love it when working class people get distracted by the little bit of money that we are fighting over. Can we start to prove that we are smarter than that ?

have you ever heard of optics

Dec 23, 2020, 9:55 AM

it doesnt matter how small the number is. when I am losing my small business and the government isnt helping me to keep that business and all my workers have to live on a $600 check, it looks bad and its bad policy to allow this to happen at the same time.

It shows you just how out of touch our government has become.

Let the eat cake!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: have you ever heard of optics

Dec 23, 2020, 6:27 PM

Manac

2 things

1. I am far more concerned with how things actually are than how they look.

2. Wouldn't you be far better off taking a closer look at the money that the oligarchy is getting from this bill ?

Unless you just have something against foreign people ??

Dec 23, 2020, 8:02 AM

My issue is that there’s already enough revenue to do everything we need, but taxes will go up next year. We don’t have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem, and that’s on both sides.

Wait til we rejoin the joke Paris accord, or drop a few billion in cash to Iran. I love putting my retirement on hold for things that matter.

Welfare for the world!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:15 AM

The stimulus checks (hopefully compromised quickly to ~ $1200) will help people in need, save jobs and businesses and make the hole we have to dig out of in 2021 much more shallow.

In a way, it is a more efficient and capitalistic way to help the economy. Instead of Congress deciding which industries and businesses to help, people will vote with their dollars by spending them at the businesses that they most need in their daily lives.

I know that many of you worry about the debt, but if we look at debt as a % of GDP, this stimulus might actually help the debt as the economy recovers more quickly and robustly. In 2007, we made the mistake of not helping the economy enough and we created a very slow recovery. Now we have a chance to show that we learned our lesson.

Dec 23, 2020, 9:24 AM

Congress already decided. Corporations will survive, small businesses are gone forever. Gotta beat down those last few Americans that worked hard for a better life.

Start putting in your applications to Amazon, maybe small business owners can manage a shift or something.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2020, 9:29 AM

Good points. Agreed that Congress does a lousy job of explaining the appropriations bill. But why don't you think a stimulus check will help? Is that opinion based on anything?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I just think it's a more efficient to

Dec 23, 2020, 9:55 AM

put money directly to people who need it. Like I think I'd rather give more unemployment, or more aid to small businesses, than checks to the general population.

That makes sense.

Dec 23, 2020, 10:02 AM

For what it's worth, this method is quicker (less paperwork) and still targets the least well off by not providing checks to anyone making over a certain amount.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

That's nonsense, 'We have to pass it to know what's in it.'***

Dec 23, 2020, 10:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

5000 pages and a couple of hours to review

Dec 23, 2020, 6:49 PM

is normal

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 'writers' (i.e. lawyers) on K Street know what's in it...***

Dec 26, 2020, 1:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 647
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic