Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remodel-net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 614

Remodel-net

Dec 4, 2020, 9:22 AM

We are finally remodeling our 80s era master bathroom.

2 different remodeling guys have told me that since we, like most 'mericans, barely ever use the bathtub (and there is one in the upstairs bathroom) to leave it out and just put in bigass shower.

I never bathe anyhow so I'm fine with this setup.

But my concern is resale - if we sell in a few years wouldn't new buyer want/expect a tub in the master bath?

Lunge, provide your wisdom.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we were looking at purchasing a house

Dec 4, 2020, 9:25 AM

there was one we looked at that didn't have a shower in the master bath.

Literally just one massive jacuzzi and a double sink and toilet.

Also the homeowners smoked like freight trains

Anyways to you question, IDK

We have been getting plans etc together for awhile on our future remodel. Plan is a HELOC after we pay down some of the mortgage. Unfortunately we have to have a bathtub with jets. It's a must for the wife.

Message was edited by: FBCoachSC®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

No shower? Thats some euro-weirdness there.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:33 AM

I am feeling you on the wife wants jet tub thing.

That's kinda my concern, that the lack of tub would be a strike against by buyer-wife even if said bathtub never gets used.

Yeah I met the people who lived there

Dec 4, 2020, 9:34 AM

which is unusual when working with a realtor. They were weird AF.

Is there room for a tub or are you trying to save space?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It could fit a tub (there is a separate tub and shower now)

Dec 4, 2020, 9:37 AM

but it would be easier without, and more room for bigger pimpier shower.

If we ditch the tub we can move everything around like we want. If we keep it we pretty much have to keep same footprint.

Why not both?

Dec 4, 2020, 9:55 AM

Pin by Kathy Freymiller on Bathroom | Walk in tub shower, Tub shower combo, Shower  tub

Re: Why not both?

Dec 4, 2020, 10:04 AM

Do you guys have any idea why your wives are so adamant

Dec 4, 2020, 9:43 AM [ in reply to No shower? Thats some euro-weirdness there. ]

about jet tubs? I mean, what's the obsession, amirite?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I did the same thing in my old house.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:29 AM

Going to do it at the new house whenever it hits the right priority. We've lived in our house for over 2 years now and not once have we used the tub.

I don't think it affects resale in the master bathroom.

Message was edited by: soccerkrzy® - typo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

you ditched tub you mean?***

Correct.***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

As you get older and get the hemorrhoids, you might

Dec 4, 2020, 9:37 AM

want that tub to soak in, at least that's what a friend told me...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why bother remodeling at all?

Dec 4, 2020, 9:41 AM

Once the grid fails and society collapses, you'll wish you bought canned goods, weapons, bullets, and the Amazon Homeless Family camping package instead of wasting money on creature comforts that will no longer have any use.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure but I figure I have at least another 60 days or so.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:47 AM

In the afterscape I plan on supporting my family by making & selling godseyes and spreading wild rumours about la chupacabra sightings until I build up enough goodwill to start my own cult religion.

Also I have some bourbon stocked away. So I'm pretty well covered there.

Religious cults are a great post-apocalypse investment.

Dec 4, 2020, 10:01 AM

I like the cut of your jib, Mister!

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, it won't affect the resale value since your house is

Dec 4, 2020, 9:43 AM

only big enough to have one big ### shower or small shower and tub.

The typical poors that would looking at your house will not be thrown off by this. They'll probably bathe outside anyways.

Good point. We do have a nice hosepipe.***

Dec 4, 2020, 9:43 AM

Probably has a microwave over his stove, too.***

Dec 4, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to No, it won't affect the resale value since your house is ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hells yeah, instead of that stupid vent hood nonsense.***

Dec 4, 2020, 9:49 AM

The only time it would be a problem IMHO is if there were

Dec 4, 2020, 9:53 AM

no bathtub anywhere in the house, especially if it's a family sized house. People with little kids use bathtubs.

Yeah only master bedroom is downstairs.

Dec 4, 2020, 9:56 AM

Upstairs with the kiddo bedroooms there is a bathroom with tub.

not sure what kind of space you're working with

Dec 4, 2020, 9:53 AM

but I've seen this done too to combine shower and tub in same space

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that house underwater?

Dec 4, 2020, 9:54 AM

looks like a submarine window

I don't know how I feel about this***

Dec 4, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to not sure what kind of space you're working with ]

poor, probably

Dec 4, 2020, 2:34 PM

#MeToo

That was actually our first idea but two remodeling

Dec 4, 2020, 10:00 AM [ in reply to not sure what kind of space you're working with ]

guys were like yeah we will do it if you want but /trust me/ you don't really want that.

Wife of had ideas of a freestanding tub though, not built in so would be a weird space behind/around tub for cleaning.

If you want to save space, put the tub in the floor

Dec 4, 2020, 10:02 AM

with a cover

7 Awesome Tub Materials for Luxury Bathrooms | Maison Valentina Blog

I could put that next to his and her squat terlits

Dec 4, 2020, 10:07 AM

so we could hold hands and have a poo in our completely subfloor bathroom.

Yeah, I've seen it done with clawfoot tubs too***

Dec 4, 2020, 10:10 AM [ in reply to That was actually our first idea but two remodeling ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's making double the cleaning***

Dec 4, 2020, 1:43 PM [ in reply to not sure what kind of space you're working with ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on who you're selling it to.

Dec 4, 2020, 10:03 AM

Women love tubs. Men love showers. General rule. Men want a huge shower with awesome water pressure, where they can have an #### if possible. Women want a tub where they can relax and soak and forget about their screaming kids.

As such, the safe bet that most builders do is do both. One popular compromise is a huge jacuzzi tub, large enough for an ####, yet a tub and small enough so wifey can soak away the world and read raunchy fanfiction.

The fact you said "we" would mean there's probably a wife. If she rarely uses the tub, then go with the massive shower option. Sell it later to a wealthy 20-something single guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah thats kinda what I am thinking. This is a family

Dec 4, 2020, 10:11 AM

house, not a 20 year old dude house.

I think we are going to need the tub even if it's completely impractical and never used. So it's kinda like getting 4WD on a shiny family SUV.

You're talking about the master bathroom though, right?

Dec 4, 2020, 10:15 AM

How often are you going to be bathing your kids in the same place you hide to smoke weed and secretly JO/take liquor shots? Kind of seems like torching your own desert oasis to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True all that, this is purely a resale thing. If it was

Dec 4, 2020, 10:17 AM

just for us we'd have a nice shower, ditch the tub and I would DEFINITELY put in a urinal. Maybe I could even get one of those trough ones to make me feel like I was in Death Valley.

What would really give it some character is if you pulled a

Dec 4, 2020, 10:22 AM

Jimmy Howard/Sloan Street Tap Room and somehow managed to get one of the terlit/urinal/sink combo's from jail. Trough would be sweet too though, especially for those drunk late night pisses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gotta get the kind that are just dep enough so the spray

Dec 4, 2020, 2:23 PM

doesn't bounce back on you.

Listen, I know you have a "family house" and all, but really

Dec 4, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to True all that, this is purely a resale thing. If it was ]

if your wife doesn't use the tub, get a mack daddy shower. I know you're concerned about the resell. But even though you know your house as a family house, when selling it, you can make it anything you want it to be. Just do the shower. When you go to sell it, add some posters to the walls, install a sex swing in some room, and leave a few adult toys/bongs in view. You'll find a young, single, wealthy, male, massive shower lover who will fall in love with your #### oasis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice, that would also help explain all of the soundproofing,

Dec 4, 2020, 11:11 AM

eyebolts we have all over the bedroom walls and ceiling and the drain in the middle of the bedroom floor.

My last house and my current house both have large, jetted

Dec 4, 2020, 10:05 AM

jacuzzi tubs. In those ~ 8.5 years, they were used to bathe maybe 4 or 5 times tops. Kind of halfway entertaining the idea of turning our current one into a koi pond.

That would be so relaxing. Until the mosquito infestation.***

Dec 4, 2020, 10:15 AM

I just built my house in July, in a cookie cutter hood

Dec 4, 2020, 10:47 AM

I opted to upgrade the shower/tub in the master bath to an oversized shower with frameless glass door. No regerts!

That said, i'm a single dad and the kids bath has a shower/tub still. I'm also taller (stronger) than the average American male, so never use the tub anyway. And while I don't plan to stay in this home the rest of my life, I will for some time.

Personally, I like the enclosed shower/tub thing posted above, if you have the room.

Just my $.02

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We removed tub from master to fit big shower and private loo

Dec 4, 2020, 1:36 PM

Just make sure one of the guest bathrooms has a tub for washing kiddos.

That's a game changer. I've never lived in a house with the

Dec 4, 2020, 1:57 PM

toilet in it's own room. Always been out around the sink shower/tub.

That is a must in our next bathroom.

Don't want to watch the wife push out a tdrake® while I'm brushing my teeth.

We would never consider a house without a private loo

Dec 4, 2020, 2:25 PM

If in your situation, we'd dedicate one of guest bathrooms as the pooping room and keep that shiv away from the master.

My wife would...

Dec 4, 2020, 1:40 PM

we passed on three or four houses we otherwise loved because she wanted a bathtub.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the big open glass and ginormo showerhead showers

Dec 4, 2020, 2:00 PM

are all the rage right now. That look will fade in a few years, but the ginormo garden tub/jacuzzi is out of date now.

It's a crap shoot. Houses are stupid investments, but it's America. This is what we do.

I say do what you will enjoy most.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is pretty liberating knowing that if something major

Dec 4, 2020, 2:21 PM

breaks in this place, I'm just calling someone.

There are oak trees covering the house; first big storm they get here and a limb, or tree, is going through the roof. I'm sure glad that if that happens, all I have to worry about is to getting deaded, and then finding another rental.

Now HERE is a remodel!!

Dec 4, 2020, 2:12 PM

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/470-Maggie-Rd_Mt-Pleasant_SC_29464_M58250-87629

Sheesh I wish I had a nice open space like that.

Dec 4, 2020, 2:29 PM

Stupid L shaped design.

Land costs $275k plus bulldozer rental***

Dec 4, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Now HERE is a remodel!! ]

I had those same exact thoughts last night, 'cept I was

Dec 4, 2020, 2:32 PM

in the shower, looking out at the tub.

nekkid.

there's a picture window right in front of the tub, so an even bigger shower wouldn't be practical. Our is big enough (3...maybe 4 person sized*), I was just thinking something along the lines of a his/hers showers....I don't need 8 different shampoos and conditioners cluttering up MY space

whatever, TLDR we need to upgrade ours, too...its' circa 2005, but a pretty bland representation of the naughty oughties

* a '4 person shower' was what a client blurted out when I asked what size shower to design for. you shoulda seen the way his husband looked at him....

There's not even a picture there for me to make fun of***

Dec 4, 2020, 2:36 PM

4 person shower? I'm way more social than that.

Dec 4, 2020, 2:43 PM [ in reply to I had those same exact thoughts last night, 'cept I was ]

Is that the Citadel on steak night?***

Dec 4, 2020, 2:45 PM

THAT is a team building exercise***

Dec 4, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to 4 person shower? I'm way more social than that. ]

Replies: 54
| visibility 614
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic