Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did yall know in the 60's reputable climate scientists
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Did yall know in the 60's reputable climate scientists

Dec 2, 2020, 8:05 AM

at Stanford were predicting a new Ice Age by mid 70's that would cause tremendous crop loss, severe hunger and a significant decimation of the human population on earth as a result?

What a bunch of lemmings exist around these parts....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did yall know in the 60's reputable climate scientists

Dec 2, 2020, 8:07 AM

Bengaline: "I don't believe any science I hear from experts in the field. What a bunch of lemmings if you believe that. But oh, some sketchy veteran with a history of questionable fundraising wants me to donate money so he can privately build a wall between here and Mexico?! Take my money, please!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Dec 2, 2020, 8:12 AM

As opposed to spending money on things you can’t see, like feelings.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excuse me, sir...

Dec 2, 2020, 8:56 AM

I spend money on my feelings every week at the liquor store.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Cata, you are obsessed with TDS

Dec 2, 2020, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Did yall know in the 60's reputable climate scientists ]

Did I mention the Prez at all? Jeez, dude, get a life!

Did I?

I was commenting on your gullibility in light of how gullible you apparently think others are.

Dec 2, 2020, 8:13 AM

Yep I remember them scaring the crap out kids in the 70s. They had us convinced we were going to freeze to death. Now we’re going to burn up. Now that’s a fast heat wave!

Don't forget the "acid rain" that was going destroy

Dec 2, 2020, 8:26 AM

all humanity. I literally thought I was going to melt every time I got wet outside.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't forget the "acid rain" that was going destroy

Dec 2, 2020, 8:32 AM

Dang I forgot about acid rain!! Yeah the acid rain was killing all the trees on Mt Mitchel until they realized the adelgid was doing it. Lol. One day we will say remember the climate change crowd?

You know why acid rain isn't a problem?

Dec 2, 2020, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Don't forget the "acid rain" that was going destroy ]

Because of stronger environmental regulations.

The acid rain problem in Europe and North America has largely abated because of stronger SO2 and NOx emission controls, such as the U.S. Clean Air Act of 1970, the Canada–United States Air Quality Agreement in 1991, and similar measures in Europe. In the United States the first phase of emission reductions took effect in 1995, and subsequent reductions followed.

https://www.britannica.com/story/what-happened-to-acid-rain

Re: You know why acid rain isn't a problem?

Dec 2, 2020, 9:37 AM

Oh do acid rain was actually killing the trees. We fixed that , then the bugs kept eating. Got it.

We got rid of hairspray

Dec 2, 2020, 10:24 AM

and it fixed the ozone hole!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 2, 2020, 8:24 AM

The ice age thing has more teeth than anything they are trying now. If the gulf stream shuts down it will cause another ice age but for that to happen its going to have to get a good bit warmer.

Dec 2, 2020, 8:26 AM

Some scientist are predicting a mini ice age around the year 2025. So they just don't know.

Thankfully, LBJ raised taxes just in time to prevent it!***

Dec 2, 2020, 8:40 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The butt-hurt liberal TDers are out again

Dec 2, 2020, 8:50 AM

There man wins and they still can’t be happy! So sad....

Re: The butt-hurt liberal TDers are out again

I still don’t understand how I’m supposed to know when somebody gives a TD or more importantly why I should care? When I first came on the board I thought y’all were talking about Touch Downs.

You are not supposed to have long term

Memory. That ruins the scheme

Dec 2, 2020, 9:02 AM

Did y'all know that scientists used to think the Earth was at the center of the universe ?

Dec 2, 2020, 10:24 AM

I think that was the church.

I moved to Southern Florida...

Dec 2, 2020, 9:02 AM

in the mid 1960 so I'd be last to get hit by the glaciers. J/K, I was 13 when we moved to West Palm in '65.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahh, the beauty of "climate change".....

Dec 2, 2020, 9:06 AM

At first there was a global cooling and ice age coming. Then there was global warming. Now they've hedged their bets with climate change, something that's 100% guaranteed to happen.

But "climate change" wouldn't be so beautiful if it wasn't so malleable. It has already started, but the new mantra is climate change causes pandemics. Fact is 7.5 billion humans, and climbing, causes pandemics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Global warming and climate change are the same thing.

Dec 2, 2020, 9:24 AM

It's not like they started calling it "climate change" because they discovered the Earth isn't warming after all.

So if it gets colder, the climate isn't changing?

Dec 2, 2020, 10:36 AM

Makes sense.

They changed it to hedge their bets. My entire childhood it was "global warming". Before my childhood, it was global cooling. Past 15-20 years, it's now climate change. While you can't prove the Earth is warming or cooling because of man, you know 100% that the climate will change. It does all the time. It would be odd if it didn't change. Manmade climate stability would be a massive problem. That's the one thing guaranteed NOT to happen.

Here, in chronological order:

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=global+cooling&year_start=1960&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=0

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=global+warming&year_start=1960&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=0

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=climate+change&year_start=1960&year_end=2019&corpus=26&smoothing=0

The inflection point is 2005. It started with global cooling, dating back to the 1970's. In the mid 1980's global warming blew up. Responses to the global warming carried global cooling references up as well. BUT, starting around 2005, climate change started to take over the conversation. You can't deny the climate is changing. It always does. And now, climate change has rocketed while references to global warming and cooling have decreased.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The globe is warming, but the ramifications are more

Dec 2, 2020, 10:44 AM

complicated than a general, slight increase in temperature. Some places will get colder, some places will get warmer, some places will get drier, and some places will flood. They began calling it "climate change" to more accurately reflect what the effects will be, but the effects are still caused by the average global temperature increasing.

I'm just chronmicling the groupthink catch phrases

Dec 2, 2020, 11:11 AM

Same people. They were the hippies. Free love. Anti-war protesters. Academics. Then they jumped on the climate bandwagon. They were the occupy wall street crowd. The save the Whales crowd. Spotted owl. Ozone layer. BLM. Antifa. Same people. Multiple generations. Same objective. All anti-capitalists Marxists.

I wonder how many times this has to be debunked.

Dec 2, 2020, 9:14 AM

Reality check:

There was no scientific consensus in the 1970s that the Earth was headed into an imminent ice age. Indeed, the possibility of anthropogenic warming dominated the peer-reviewed literature even then.

Climate science as we know it today did not exist in the 1960s and 1970s. The integrated enterprise embodied in the Nobel Prize winning work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change existed then as separate threads of research pursued by isolated groups of scientists. Atmospheric chemists and modelers grappled with the measurement of changes in carbon dioxide and atmospheric gases, and the changes in climate that might result. Meanwhile, geologists and paleoclimate researchers tried to understand when Earth slipped into and out of ice ages, and why. An enduring popular myth suggests that in the 1970s the climate science community was predicting “global cooling” and an “imminent” ice age, an observation frequently used by those who would undermine what climate scientists say today about the prospect of global warming. A review of the literature suggests that, on the contrary, greenhouse warming even then dominated scientists' thinking as being one of the most important forces shaping Earth's climate on human time scales. More importantly than showing the falsehood of the myth, this review describes how scientists of the time built the foundation on which the cohesive enterprise of modern climate science now rests.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/bams/89/9/2008bams2370_1.xml?tab_body=pdf

Re: I wonder how many times this has to be debunked.

Dec 2, 2020, 9:29 AM

I think the earth has been warming since the last ice age. I could be wrong. Don't fall for everything just the ones you care about.

How about the rate of change?***

Dec 2, 2020, 9:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

One of the earliest Mandela Effects, perhaps.***

Dec 2, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I wonder how many times this has to be debunked. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard that David Blaine can Levitate

Dec 2, 2020, 9:35 AM

Which pretty much proves gravity is a myth.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I heard that David Blaine can Levitate

Dec 2, 2020, 9:43 AM

When you jump off that edge the fall will not kill you just the sudden stop @ the end. Gravity must be a myth.

One of the strengths of science

Dec 2, 2020, 10:19 AM

is also something that can cause folks who aren't familiar with the scientific process to doubt it's efficacy.

The fact is that the scientific process is self-refuting. Theories emerge and are tested and often are discarded as trials disprove them, but then those theories evolve and knowledge is gained. There really is no end to this process, and the fact that there will always be outliers in research (through either random chance or poorly structured tests) raises doubts by folks who see the constant evolution as a sign of a lack of knowledge rather than a process toward gathering knowledge.

I say all that to say that I understand the temptation to say "Well, scientists used to say...." , but to do so misses the point of information gathered and knowledge gained through research and trial. TO me that sort of reasoning sounds like "Well, doctors used to free bleed people to remove them of harmful spirits, so there's no way my kid is getting the Polio vaccine."

It does individuals and society as a whole a disservice to pretend that right now all of our scientific knowledge/consensus is perfect, but it also seems foolish to not truthfully look at current scientific consensus and take sane reasonable steps using it as guidance where possible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of the strengths of science

Dec 2, 2020, 10:37 AM

I agree with most of what you are saying. The problems is we don't really know how to spot the earth from warming. I feel like some are pushing their own agenda under the mask of global warming-climate change. Maybe there are too many humans on earth and methane gas is causing as much or more than carbon emissions. I really don't know and no one else does either.

Re: One of the strengths of science

Dec 2, 2020, 10:38 AM

stop not spot.

I know idiots believe that or at least like to parrot it.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:08 AM

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/01/the-global-cooling-myth/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know idiots believe that or at least like to parrot it.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:36 AM

That was a good read. They still don't know as I have said before. I think all the scientist will agree if the gulf stream becomes non functioning that it will cause an Ice age. No one know how much warmer it will have to get before the gulf stream stops. I know we humans cannot stop what the earth is going to do in the long run. The sky is falling is just another political tool.

Dec 2, 2020, 11:37 AM

We can all thank Michael Mann for the global warming BS. Him and his 'hockey stick' that assumed no climate change had ever occurred before about 1950. What a fraud.

Dec 2, 2020, 4:33 PM

These stupid modern liberals believe they are the only ones ever to know and understand the future! They cannot fathom the fact that if they lived in the 60s, they would be smoking dope, dropping acid, and talking about how we all are going to freeze.

You know it and I know it. All people that do not live in the liberal, social media echo chamber know it too.

So many of them are the same and you can spot their elitist attitude a mile away...just waiting and looking for every opportunity where they can prove to themselves they are smarter than the rest of us deplorables.

Dec 2, 2020, 7:42 PM

I agree.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic