Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hear Father G makes killer chex mix. I'll put my kicked-up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

I hear Father G makes killer chex mix. I'll put my kicked-up

Dec 26, 2020, 10:20 AM

recipe up against anybody's.

Father G®

lets trade recipes either on the board or via Tea Mail if you want to keep it secret.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s already been posted and I made some

Dec 26, 2020, 10:31 AM

It was pretty dang good

Let’s see your recipe and I’ll judge them both

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s already been posted and I made some

Dec 26, 2020, 10:41 AM

1 stick butter
1/4 c worchestershire sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Tabasco
1/2 tsp onion powder

3 c corn chex
2 1/2 c rice chex
1 c wheat chex
1 c delux mixed nuts (no peanuts)
1 c peanuts
1 c pecans
1 c small pretzels
1 c small bagel chips
1 c sesame stix
1 c white cheddar cheez-its

mix dry stuff in large bowl while melting butter in small pot w/seasonings. slowly drizzle over dry ingredients while stirring (2 people is good here), continue to stir to thoroughly mix.

makes 1 & 1/2 sheet pans. spread thin, bake in 250 degree oven 1 hr, stir every 15 min.

Message was edited by: NoIntroduction®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A repost of mine. I must say, yours is complex, I like

Dec 26, 2020, 10:50 AM

simple. All the stuff in there is not my style, but I am sure it is good.

Repost:

This is not your momma's recipe. I have perfected mine over the years.

First rule is only four things in the mix and no substitutions.

Second rule is real butter and only the best Worcestershire Sauce - Lee & Perrins.

Third is McCormick garlic salt. If it has chives or anything green in your garlic salt, throw it away.

Easy peasy and you will have to make a 2nd batch immediately since you will eat the first batch so fast.

In a small pot - at medium low heat - put one stick of butter. Now do not let this butter do anything other than melt, no bubbling butter. Add 9 "running" teaspoons of said Worcestershire sauce - it must be properly shaken before you start to measure - shake it like your life depends upon it being well mixed up. 'Running' means fill a teaspoon flip it and keep the bottle going as you continue to fill and flip. I know this is an acquired skill, but after years of practice, I have become a professional teaspoon fill and fliper. Then add three teaspoons of McCormick garlic salt. These can be a little over full, but defintely not leveled off. This mixture just needs to be stirred and stirred until it the butter is melted and you cannot see any pieces of butter floating around.

You have completed the hard part, believe me. On to the ingredients:

There are four - and these have been written in stone so no subs. Wheat Chex, Corn Chex, Cherrios and pecans. Do not be tempted to buy the Honey Chex or Rice Chex I don't care what your wife says. Now you need a very large bowl as you are going to put all this goodness together. Did I say pre-heat your oven to 250? DO IT NOW! In the bowl - IN THIS ORDER - 2 cups of Cheerios, then 2 cups of Corn Chex, then 2 cups of Wheat Chex, then 3 (THREE) cups of pecans. I use the Kirkland pecans and they are great - they also have nine cups in each bag, so one bag makes three batches, so plan accordingly. With experience you will learn to get 2 boxes of Wheat Chex and Corn Chex and one large box of Cheerios along with three bags of pecans - this will make you 9 batches of this glorious stuff - which you will be giving away often or you will become the fat slob I have this year.

Time to take your buttery, Worcestershirey, garlic salty mix and slowly pour over and around and cover your bowl of the Chexes/Cheerios/nuts. Then take a spoon, a large ### spoon will be needed here, don't try that #### soup spoon, and stir this up - I mean stir it a lot - be sure your mixture is covered in that sauce - be careful not to stir violently though as you might lose some precious pieces and my dog loves that #### - then get our 2 (I meant to ask if you had 2, but hopefully you do) large cookie sheets. These need to be clean, not those old ones you never wipe off and have a lot of burnt crap all over them. Once you have split this up, shake the sheets to get the mixture spread out - the goal is to not have any pieces on top of others - using two sheets allows this easy spread out.

Into your oven and set the timer - "Hey Google, I need a 60 minute timer" - for one hour. Do not open the oven, do not swap the cookie sheets around or stir the mixture, this is set it and forget it time.

After 60 minutes take out and let cool. I know you want to eat them, but believe me, the taste is much better is you don't eat them hot. They also taste better after being in a Christmas tin for about 24 hours, but who has time for that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

our dogs have learnt the sound of stirring chex mix and

Dec 26, 2020, 10:57 AM

hover, waiting for something to drop. Agree on the butter and worchestershire, and no funky added flavor ingredients. I use Sam's pecans because no Costco. The rest comes from the local Mennonite store which sells spice and snack stuff and more in small bags they package from bulk.

As Celtic knows from other recipes, no hot stuff is made in

Dec 26, 2020, 11:02 AM

my house, although I love it. Mama G is a hot sauce hater, and when I cook with it, she has to leave the room. I cannot even use the bagged spices for cooking shrimp. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the lil bit o' heat is what makes it. But I understand.

Dec 26, 2020, 11:44 AM

Neither of us like blazing hot, but both of us enjoy a little heat.

While I love these recipes, and made some yesterday, I also

Dec 26, 2020, 2:03 PM

tried an uber simple one, and for day-to-day it works fine. Admittedly this works for a spicy/hot outcome, maybe not as well for only savory.

Dump a variety of chex in a mixing bowl.
Spray sparingly with Pam or similar spray, mixing as spraying to lightly evenly coat.
Add seasoned salt, chili powder and cayenne powder. Mix to evenly coat.
Continue to adjust to taste.

You're done. No cooking or heating. I'll be danged if it didn't turn out pretty good, about 80% as good as the normal recipes. Will it take the place of the others? No. But for something quick and now, it's very good. Surprisingly comparable to the store bought hot and spicy mix, but I liked this better. But then, I like hot stuff, and I suppose that is most of the appeal for this recipe.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic