Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have been saying this since before the ACCCG. Still true.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,654

I have been saying this since before the ACCCG. Still true.

Jan 9, 2016, 8:09 AM

There are whole chapters of our play book with dust on them. There are formations/motion we haven't had to use so far this season. With very few exceptions, we've played a pretty simple game plan. The smashmouth spread is a reality and we have simply depended on our OLine to dominate the opponent.

I'm not going to say we've been boring on offense, because that is not the appropriate term. But we have been relatively generic and simply overpowered and out-athleted the competition to this point. Alabama's defense, while not being unbeatable, will pose a much tougher challenge than we have faced to date.

I believe two things will be evident on Monday night. First, I think we'll play with faster tempo than we have all year. There is risk with a tempo offense when you're playing a team built the way Bama is built, however. Namely, if you play really fast and go three and out, then they grind out a long drive, your D is on the field too much and gets worn out. Ironically, that is what you hope to accomplish yourselves. The exact opposite can occur if you're not successful.

Which brings up the second factor. I expect to see more eye candy from the offense this game. We've kept nearly all of it under wraps so far. Make no mistake, it all gets practiced and it's there when we need it. We'll probably come out with the usual quick WR screens and jet sweeps to see if we can have success in the usual way. If so, Alabama is not head and shoulders above the other teams we've beaten. But I think they are and we won't have the same success running the offense in generic fashion. So, we'll see some looks we haven't seen. We'll try to keep them guessing so that we can exploit their indecision. There will be more motion and trickeration. The plays are basically the same, but we'll have to create some opportunity by causing confusion. It takes just one guy out of position to break a play.

I don't expect to see a large dose of power runs. I really hope we don't play the first half like we did against Okie. DW carried the ball a lot more than I felt comfortable with, but our OLine got a good push to make it successful. That won't get the same results against Bama. When you're up against a D this good, you look for ways to exploit their strengths. Get them to overpersue with misdirections. Get them to commit to play action. But I think we'll see the most creative game plan to date. They'll see things there is no film on from this season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Agree that we could see a couple things added. But...

Jan 9, 2016, 8:14 AM

remember a big part of Scott & Elliott's philosophy is to simplify the playbook and just get REALLY good at what we do. Chad's playbook was too big and spread too thin.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One reason for that is how young we were to start the

Jan 9, 2016, 8:31 AM

season. They're not freshmen any more, though. It's time to open it up a bit.

One way to beat Bama is to get up on them early, then try to make them one-dimensional. We may see some creativity early to try for some quick strikes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree.....and have made similar comments about

Jan 9, 2016, 8:17 AM

how vanilla our offense has gotten....not that its necessarily a bad thing--when you're just better than every defense you've played, its the old "KISS" approach--just keep it simple stupid.....and that appears what we've done in allmost every game....and one reason the fake punt and pass to Wilkins was such a gem!
DW is such an incredible athlete and the Waynetrain has been so phenominal all seaason as has Leggett, there's almost been no reason to delve into the bag of tricks.

I'm certainly not recommending our OC's change anything---not by a dang site....but I won't be surprised to see a few new old wrinkles against the elephant.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have been saying this since before the ACCCG. Still true.

Jan 9, 2016, 8:21 AM

I would like to see more of the counter option. We have only ran it a few times this year but we were very successful when we ran it. But i do agree that we will likely see some things we haven't seen out of our offense so far this year, but i hope we don't get cute and try to run a trick play that costs us. Good post

Jan 9, 2016, 8:24 AM

My major concern is their depth on defense. I do not think we wear them down as we have others.

Second, I will be watching for our coaching staff to make adjustments as necessary WHEN necessary. We cannot wait until half time or 'spot' them a couple scores.

If we do the latter successfully (if needed) and handle their depth, I think we win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Jan 9, 2016, 8:39 AM

I went to a practice last year before the Oklahoma game, and I saw them practice some plays I had never seen before in any of the games last year. Well they didn't have to use any different plays because we handled Oklahoma just using pretty much our basic playbook. But you can be sure those plays are available and will be practiced and used if needed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2016, 9:18 AM

So what's the final score David?

Jan 9, 2016, 10:22 AM

31-21 good guys, of course.

Jan 9, 2016, 9:21 AM

We need to do what we do until change is needed. This type of philosophy is what got Chad Morris in trouble at times. He would try to be too cute when it was not needed. My philosophy is if they can't stop it kill them with it until they do.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Halftime adjustments

Jan 9, 2016, 10:21 AM

Are not really made in the few minutes that the coaches have during the break. At best they have ten minutes to make changes and not a lot can be accomplished in that short period of time. I am sure all the game preperation is done during the sessions leading up to the game. Any changes that the coaches make at halftime have already been practiced by the team and is a matter of making the players aware of what is working and what isn't. Coach V is especially good at this

Win the play at the LOS and you win the game.

The thing about eye candy is

Jan 9, 2016, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: I have been saying this since before the ACCCG. Still true. ]

the play you run is basically the same. It just looks different to the D and causes momentary hesitation.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,654
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic