Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Radakovich on retaining Brownell, contract mitigation, goals and staff changes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

New Story: Radakovich on retaining Brownell, contract mitigation, goals and staff changes

Mar 28, 2017, 7:01 PM

Radakovich on retaining Brownell, contract mitigation, goals and staff changes

Athletic Director Dan Radakovich met with the media Tuesday afternoon in the McFadden center, and the main topic of conversation was his decision to retain men’s basketball coach Brad Brownell. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well now we know about the same.***

Mar 28, 2017, 7:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well now we know about the same.***

Mar 28, 2017, 7:17 PM

Yep!

Mar 28, 2017, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Well now we know about the same.*** ]

Yes, we know the same except the mitigation of the 3.5 million I wasn't clear on and I'm still not clear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

It means if some school is stupid enough to hire CBB

Mar 28, 2017, 8:19 PM

after we fire him, we could renegotiate how much we owe him for the buyout. Or, in non-mumbo jumbo words, we would pay him 3.5 million dollars.

If Brownell leaves and is hired by another school, the 3.5

Mar 28, 2017, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Well now we know about the same.*** ]

we owe him will be reduced by some amount based on how much his new boss pays him.

The 3.5 mil would not be paid immediately, when he leaves; rather, it would be paid out over a period of years. If, during that time, he is hired by another school, we would not have to pay the full 3.5 mil.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That sounds easy to work out a deal with the

Mar 28, 2017, 8:50 PM

Other school

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That sounds easy to work out a deal with the

Mar 28, 2017, 10:36 PM

GT felt like it was a blessing in disguise when Clemson hired DRad!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Brownell leaves and is hired by another school, the 3.5

Mar 28, 2017, 10:32 PM [ in reply to If Brownell leaves and is hired by another school, the 3.5 ]

Who is going to hire him when not even a mid major on hard times wants him. We are stuck with the both of them, sad, very sad for the university!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2017, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Well now we know about the same.*** ]

How could you when the person that voiced that total bull chit don't have a clue of what he said either!!!

Mar 28, 2017, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Well now we know about the same.*** ]

Well, we do know that DRad is what most thought he was before he ever said a word. He is a sniveling candy A$S P O S that has balls the size of a ball bearing in a roller skate wheel that has no business being the AD at Clemson university. We could find an AD that can spend millions of dollars in the unemployment line. We need an AD that can do the job that needs to be done in the athletic department, and that's bring in the best coaches that can be found to lead our athletic programs to be successful. That type of AD has to have balls big enough to do just that, and DRad doesn't. By the time Brownell's contract is up, he will have our BB program so far down in the bottom dwellers hole, that a good basketball coach would have to an idiot to take the job as Clemson's basketball HC. He would be at Social Security age before he could get Clemson out of the hole that DRad has assisted Brownell in getting us in!!! Just turn Littlejohn into a concert hall bc our basketball program is a black eye and an embarrassment to Clemson University!!! Seven years of mediocrity makes us want to cover our faces to hide our tears from the pain DRad and Brad Brownell is causing our basketball program, and it is a crying shame!!!!

drad said "there was no extension"

Mar 28, 2017, 7:25 PM

does that mean that what was 3-years remaining (last year) now has two years left or that they simply rolled it over and he still has 3 remaining?

while i disagreed with retaining bb, drad laid out his position beautifully..TU to him for that in-depth explanation.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: drad said "there was no extension"

Mar 28, 2017, 7:32 PM

If that's true, rival recruiters will use that against Brownell.

Anyone know that answer to Jack's question?*****

Mar 28, 2017, 8:23 PM [ in reply to drad said "there was no extension" ]

Re: Anyone know that answer to Jack's question?*****

Mar 28, 2017, 9:06 PM

He basically said that they were two totally different situations and that he wasn't going to compare. We've got plenty more of Radakovich to run tomorrow.

Thank you********

Mar 28, 2017, 10:27 PM

Re: Anyone know that answer to Jack's question?*****

Mar 28, 2017, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone know that answer to Jack's question?***** ]

He's not going to compare what, one bad apple to the other bad apple.

That would mean there is no contractual agreement

Mar 28, 2017, 8:31 PM [ in reply to drad said "there was no extension" ]

existing between Clemson and Brownell as Head Coach existing beyond 3 years.

In other words, potential recruits now know that Brownell is on the hot seat, with no vote of confidence and no assurance from the university that he will be here for 4 years if they sign with Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Well hopefully this incoming class in the Fall will be great

Mar 28, 2017, 8:38 PM

I mean eventually CBB will be in this same situation again won't he, even if we retain him?

I think the idea is for him to turn it around, which would

Mar 28, 2017, 8:55 PM

result in an extension, and then more sucess and more extensions, always keeping him at least 4 years out for recruiting purposes. However, if he's not successful enough at some point, then yes, he will either be back in this situation, or gone, which is probably more likely.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: That would mean there is no contractual agreement

Mar 28, 2017, 10:43 PM [ in reply to That would mean there is no contractual agreement ]

What difference does that really make smiling, we will still get what the good BB program didn't want. That's the way it's been for over a decade!!!

I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore.

Mar 28, 2017, 7:46 PM

All I want is nice coach who has nice friendly players playing for for him. Sometimes I see those Gamecock players smashing into players with these vicious rebounds in this March Madness tournament and I think,"no thanks!" I will pass. Just give me a friendly good guy as coach and I couldn't care less about wins or losses or making tournaments. That's not what college basketball is all about.

Re: I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore.

Mar 28, 2017, 7:48 PM

It is at Clemson. Sell that vision to ticket holders.

To be honest, I hated it when LJC used to be crowded

Mar 28, 2017, 8:28 PM [ in reply to I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore. ]

and loud with all those cheering "fans". I like it how it is now, nice and quiet with no long lines at the concessions and plenty of room to stretch out and just relax. About the only that really needs to change is JDew. Enough with the JDew.

I had to laugh - that's a good 'un.

Mar 28, 2017, 8:33 PM [ in reply to I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore. ]

But pretty much spot on.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore.***

Mar 28, 2017, 9:14 PM [ in reply to I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best most accurate thing I've read you a long time!!!!!***

Mar 28, 2017, 9:15 PM [ in reply to I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore.

Mar 28, 2017, 10:46 PM [ in reply to I for one don't careabout the tournament anymore. ]

All sports are about winning championships, and if the majority don't agree with that, keeping Brownell is a good deal for us!!!

But he is so darn nice. He also has great hair.*****

Mar 28, 2017, 10:58 PM

Re: New Story: Radakovich on retaining Brownell, contract mitigation, goals and staff changes

Mar 28, 2017, 8:02 PM

So what I'm getting out of this is that it doesn't matter too much if we don't make the tourney, as long as Brad can graduate nice young men? While I agree that this is the most important thing there comes a time after 7 years that on court demands should come in to the picture..

Re: New Story: Radakovich on retaining Brownell, contract mitigation, goals and staff changes

Mar 28, 2017, 8:07 PM

I'm all for the Zags against the chickens. What if the chickens do well in the Final Four? They and the other ACC schools will improve while we have good kids but don't win. Clemson would never allow football to be average but wins don't matter in basketball at Clemson. sad!

Mar 28, 2017, 11:01 PM

The 1960's and the Tommy West era say hello.

Mar 28, 2017, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Radakovich on retaining Brownell, contract mitigation, goals and staff changes ]

Dabo graduates 99% of his players, and he wins championships, and he done that in way less that 7 years. Frank Martin took a collapsed Darrin Horn program, and has it at the brink of a NC in 5 years. Whattttttt, don't say that it can be done in less than 7 or 8 years!!!

I hate I wasted my time reading that garbage***

Mar 28, 2017, 8:05 PM

5 stars to Nikki!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 28, 2017, 8:25 PM

Nikki:
I gave you 5 stars because you documented what DRad said. No reason for me to brow beat Brownell, he is the Coach for another Year. Mamma said if you can't say something nice - - - >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>......................................

Thanks!

I have not read any comments to this article before posting

Mar 28, 2017, 8:46 PM

as I didn't want to have my opinion biased. The comments from Radicchio regarding Brownell and our basketball program are total bull and unacceptable. I have never been a fire Radicchio guy but to say making the NCAA Tournament is not the standard but rather a goal and then give some mealy mouth reasons why Brownell should stay is one of the most pathetic responses I've seen from an athletic director. As long as Radicchio is here basketball will be measured by NIT appearances and Brownell being a "good guy". That is really sad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have not read any comments to this article before posting

Mar 29, 2017, 11:41 AM

Apparently, we do reward those who are not successful. Not making the tournament the "standard"! This is why we will continue to get dropped by everyone in every tournament. Everyone else i the world would have lost their job by now, unless your goal was never to have a decent basket ball program. I guess we are a football school.

How about making the tournament the standard and actually winning a tournment game the goal...it would be a start

I say we get behind Brad and support him all the way.***

Mar 28, 2017, 8:47 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: I say we get behind Brad and support him all the way.***

Mar 28, 2017, 8:48 PM

that would involve having a brain and a little class.

I think everyone supports him winning and doing a great...

Mar 28, 2017, 8:51 PM [ in reply to I say we get behind Brad and support him all the way.*** ]

job, but many don't think that will happen. Who doesn't support him doing well?

Re: I think everyone supports him winning and doing a great...

Mar 28, 2017, 11:17 PM

I was 100% behind Brownell for 5 years, and that fell to 90% the other two. Now it's at rock bottom, I don't have 1% faith or support for Brad any longer. Stick a fork in me, I'm done with the Brad!!!

Mar 28, 2017, 9:18 PM [ in reply to I say we get behind Brad and support him all the way.*** ]

Win some big games and give us a reason to support the program.

Mar 28, 2017, 9:32 PM

did you ever say when was the last time went to a game coachmac.

Mar 28, 2017, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I say we get behind Brad and support him all the way.*** ]

I have been b ehind him for 7 years and all it got me was hum COMFORTABLE and BLOWING a 20point PLUS lead in a HALF 2 A pc EQUILIVENT!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 28, 2017, 11:02 PM [ in reply to I say we get behind Brad and support him all the way.*** ]

I was behind him for 7 wasted years, I can't and won't support him another day. He has a whole lot of proving to me now. I won't be his idiot for 8 to 10 years and nothing changes!!!

That DRad sure is a smooth talker, but here's my takeaway:

Mar 28, 2017, 8:51 PM

Brownell's seat is red hot, and he has to produce next season, or else. He's a dead man walking unless he produces a miracle. Otherwise, he would have been offered at least a one-year extension.

I think DRad expected bigger things this year, so much so that he was caught off guard by the basketball team's failures this year, even right up until the end. It was the worst possible scenario for which he was unprepared. Plus, because Brownell has done so many good things with the program and is such a stand up guy who showed up with a real plan for improving the situation, he's giving him one more shot. In the mean time, it gives DRad plenty of time to put out feelers and court our next coach.

I don't like it, and I don't agree with it, but I think that's what is going on.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: That DRad sure is a smooth talker, but here's my takeaway:

Mar 28, 2017, 9:08 PM

I hope you are right. It's just his words say otherwise. Over the next few weeks we will see if changes do happen. If Brad fires an assistant coach, we will find out. If recruiting tactics change, we will hear about it. Watch Williamsons and Wrights recruiting tales. See how this team starts next season. The most successful teams in the big dance were physical and played tough nasty defense. That should be us.

I'm just speculating, of course, and trying to fill in the

Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 PM

blanks as to why he kept Brownell without offering an extension, which really puts Brownell in an even tougher position going forward. I said all along that money was not a factor, and that has pretty much been confirmed. DRad's explanation for keeping Brownell is that he has done so many good things here and was really close this year. I believe all of that is true, and is the only reason he was kept, however, that alone is not enough to keep a coach with Brownell's on- court record here; it just isn't, not even for DRad. The only thing that makes any sense at all is that DRad just wasn't prepared to make a new hire, and was shocked by the way we finished. Therefore, he opted to give the good guy (and I truly believe he is and DRad truly holds him in high regard) another shot while going about the business of looking at possible replacements in a more thorough and deliberate manner. Of course, if we make the dance next year, then "mission accomplished" and Brownell gets an extension.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: That DRad sure is a smooth talker, but here's my takeaway:

Mar 28, 2017, 11:07 PM [ in reply to That DRad sure is a smooth talker, but here's my takeaway: ]

I think that you are right, but that don't excuse throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Aaaaaaand there you have it. The goal isn't winning anymore

Mar 28, 2017, 9:10 PM

Never thought I'd live to see/hear that from a Clemson AD's mouth.

Unreal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Face it, at Clemson, Basketball is a "Value Added" Sport

Mar 28, 2017, 9:15 PM

Much like when you go to the car dealer to get your car fixed. they might have free coffee in the waiting room, might give you a ride if the destination is within 5 miles, etc ...

At Clemson, Basketball is the "free coffee", the "free ride ..." ... our main focus is FIXING CARS (Football, Baseball) Basketball is just something to keep the Clemson name out there inbetween Football and Baseball seasons

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're just reinforcing the existing culture that says

Mar 28, 2017, 9:24 PM

we can't be good at basketball therefore let's just accept being good citizens. Nobody gives thousands of dollars and buys season tickets to watch Boy Scouts. The object of the game is to win, not to be nice.

Try telling Dabo a bowl game isn't a goal, it's just a nice thing that happens every now and then. I have no desire to be there in football and basketball should be no different. The message DRad is sending is that the basketball bar isn't set very high and we really don't have any intention of raising it.

Re: We're just reinforcing the existing culture that says

Mar 28, 2017, 9:31 PM

That's the way most of us took what Drad said. We need a winning culture change in basketball but that is not going to happen with Drads attitude.

Re: We're just reinforcing the existing culture that says

Mar 28, 2017, 11:12 PM [ in reply to We're just reinforcing the existing culture that says ]

Well DRad said that when he said, there were several close losses for the tough conference that we play in!!!

Pure Poppycock

Mar 28, 2017, 9:53 PM

B.B. is a multi-millionaire good guy working his dream job. No one should dispute this fact. The well-documented problem is he cannot recruit, and his many years at Clemson have demonstrated he is in over his head at the ACC level of competition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pure Poppycock

Mar 28, 2017, 10:00 PM

Plus1

Mar 29, 2017, 7:15 AM [ in reply to Pure Poppycock ]

Our incoming class has several 4 stars

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 29, 2017, 7:21 AM

NOT a bad class at all for the 1st class in the new building.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:25 AM

Yep amazing how those people manage to ignore that

Mar 29, 2017, 7:31 AM

i also was in favor of change but it didnt happen. guessing there were several reasons. hence he is my coach and will get my support. unlike the idiots that get on here and post the same drivel over and over again. sad pups.

Mar 29, 2017, 9:02 AM

I too was in favor for a change as I have stated over and over again.

Cool, I guess we're okay with being mediocre... :(***

Mar 28, 2017, 10:09 PM

Re: Cool, I guess we're okay with being mediocre... :(***

Mar 28, 2017, 10:18 PM

Since Drad values only gradation rates and having good people over winning games, he needs to make basketball an Olympic sport. Make it a free event to get a crowd. He said winning doesn't matter. Why pay for game where all you care about is participation?

Re: Cool, I guess we're okay with being mediocre... :(***

Mar 28, 2017, 11:20 PM

BinGo

Mar 29, 2017, 12:58 AM

Why is Keith Olberman our AD ?

I would have asked if these same standards applied to

Mar 29, 2017, 7:38 AM

football. In football it's "best is the standard." I wonder what the vision statement for the basketball program is given this?

Re: I would have asked if these same standards applied to

Mar 29, 2017, 8:22 AM

Drad is smart enough to know that he would be run out of Clemson if he applied his basketball core beliefs to football.

I accept the situation. But... tourney or bust.***

Mar 29, 2017, 8:48 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm calling BS...

Mar 29, 2017, 9:31 AM

"The 3.5 million dollars was never going to be 3.5 million dollars because it was mitigated. Somewhere during that period of time, Brad - who is a very good coach would have found another job and we would never pay that amount of money to him."

Does the name Tommy Bowden ring a bell?

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: I'm calling BS...

Mar 29, 2017, 9:34 AM

Bowden could have found another job if he wanted after he was canned by Clemson.

Exactly.

Mar 29, 2017, 9:35 AM

Why work when you can earn millions by not working?

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Mar 29, 2017, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm calling BS... ]

Leave then.

Mar 29, 2017, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm calling BS... ]

Name one power 5 school that would hire him. Indiana hired Archie Mitchell.

Mar 29, 2017, 11:07 AM

You are changing your argument again little troll.

No where did I say it would be a P5 school.

Mar 29, 2017, 11:13 AM

What you are saying is that only a mid major school or less would hire Brad. That is a statement about Brads true coaching and recruiting skills. He is over his head in a power conference but can only win at a mid major school. UNCW is available.

Mar 29, 2017, 10:47 AM

the double standard is now the new standard for the men's basketball program...a big screwup by AD Rad...we know the end result...a firing and a large payout which is another AD Rad screwup!...

The season was a huge success. Last year..

Mar 29, 2017, 11:52 AM

Robertin had a 3.2. This year he had a 3.4. Also, Ty Husdon had 2.5 last year. This year he is up to a 2.7. And to really hammer it home, nobody on the team was arrested. This has been an amazing year and I completely agree with DRad. We will be telling our grandchildren about this past successful season. Goose bumps.

Re: The season was a huge success. Last year..

Mar 29, 2017, 12:04 PM

I sense the sarcasm.

Mar 29, 2017, 12:00 PM

Yeah, but how's he plan on significantly improving his recruiting of players??????

Graduating players is expected and I am underwhelmed with

Mar 29, 2017, 12:23 PM

the coliseum renovation. We need a coach that can recruit.

Wow, that was a whole lot of nothing. Coach speak, ad speak,

Mar 29, 2017, 12:25 PM

or whatever, but nothing.

Re: Wow, that was a whole lot of nothing. Coach speak, ad speak,

Mar 29, 2017, 12:26 PM

did you forget to change names?

Like I've said, the real story here is you. Very odd. You

Mar 31, 2017, 2:46 PM

get pleasure from something that is very odd for a 32-year old person with a family and grown up responsibilities. Everyone knows my post and deal, but what about you? I wonder if you'd be proud for your wife, son, alum association, or friends in Mt. Pleasant to know of your behavior? You are the story here, not me. You're obsessed and its not a good look.

To answer your question, I jut haven't gotten around to changing the screen name. I might and I might not. I'm just curious to see how obsessed you are. I said my post was idiotic. But a 32-year old man that is the only one on the net that can't get over it looks like the biggest idiot of all.

Re: Like I've said, the real story here is you. Very odd. You

Mar 31, 2017, 3:13 PM

Holy #### dude take a #### joke. You replied twice saying two different things that is all I was pointing out.

Maybe the issue here is a guy who stewed over something I posted TWO days ago and is now bumping it to the top of the page.

Nice try, but not holding water. Everyone knows what you've

Mar 31, 2017, 7:52 PM

been doing and everyone knows how you have obsessed and stewed over my three-year old post. Right on up until as recently as two days ago and today for that matter.

Two days old? That's rich. You've been

Apr 1, 2017, 1:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Like I've said, the real story here is you. Very odd. You ]

bashing me for a post I made that is 3 years old! And the post had absolutely nothing to do with you. You're a sick puppy.

I'll let you know when I change it Todd***

Mar 31, 2017, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Wow, that was a whole lot of nothing. Coach speak, ad speak, ]

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic