Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Chase Brice leaving Duke now. Makes me ponder the question...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

So Chase Brice leaving Duke now. Makes me ponder the question...

Dec 14, 2020, 9:41 PM

Have we had a QB transfer in the modern era and have much real success, i.e. Russell Wilson lite? Seems like all our transfers ended up being people who needed to transfer

Billy Luckie - Did he even play again?

Willy Zorn - Belly Flop at Marshall (got transferred to safety then left to N. Greenville), Natty at NGU

Chad Kelly - JUCO Natty, uninspiring career at Ole Miss

Zerrick Cooper - Moderate success at Jacksonville State

Tucker Israel - Entered transfer portal, nobody took him

Hunter Johnson - Belly Flop at Northwestern

Kelly Bryant - Belly Flop at Missouri

Chase Brice - Belly Flop at Duke

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Chase Brice leaving Duke now. Makes me ponder the question...

Dec 14, 2020, 9:45 PM

Chad Kelly was the best of the bunch. Just too much of a nut job.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 10:43 PM

You mean spoiled brat.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: So Chase Brice leaving Duke now. Makes me ponder the question... ]

He got into it with Ali Rodgers. Her Aunt was a vice president. He was gone a week later.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:49 PM

Seems like Cooper is the only one to do halfway ok. He did really well for 2 years. I don't know how he did this year. Looks like he hasn't played much this season. I see his team only played 4 games. That makes sense. He is a good one though it seems. I wonder if he will play on Sundays as a FA?

Yeah, but also feels like there's a lot of players on that

Dec 14, 2020, 9:51 PM

list that we flat out didn't develop.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, but also feels like there's a lot of players on that

Dec 14, 2020, 9:58 PM

Yeah anyone of them went to a regular quality football school ended up flopping.

Dec 14, 2020, 9:59 PM

Have any transfers from any position done well after leaving Clemson?

It's an interesting question. Other than my comments below,

Dec 14, 2020, 10:16 PM

I would say we don't have too many disgruntled 4-5 stars leave. Ours tend to remain firmly gruntled.

Kelly did well. It wasn't like he went to Oklahoma like Hurts did. And he wasn't Hurts.
Bryant was not really a pro prospect. He was a strictly drop back passer at Missouri, which was not a use of what he can do.
Korn couldn't make P5 throws after his injury. I thought he did great to do what he did at Greenville.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2020, 10:06 PM

Not disagreeing, but my recollection of those names is:

Don't know about Luckie.

Korn did really well considering the state his injury left him in. And he's having all kinds of fun at Coastal.

Kelly earned a really good pro look, and as someone said, just didn't have the emotional maturity for it.

I thought Cooper did well at Jacksonville. I saw one game, he looked good. But maybe not.

Israel: agree

Johnson: agree

Bryant: I think they consider him to have done well. Just wasn't a good team.

Brice: Jury out, but agree, hasn't looked great.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boss u ever leave from near flippers on 109

Dec 15, 2020, 12:45 AM

An drive ta spartanburg to see willy korn play in hs? THEN watch tigers v tarholes in dv on sat, and then sunday your way back to dang near flippers again?

I bet knot.

Most of that list are second QB takes for a given class,

Dec 14, 2020, 10:10 PM

besides Zorn, Chad Kelly (still don't really understand what Morris saw that made him so laser focused on that guy), and Hunter Johnson, but I THINK Trevor was already committed when HJ enrolled in early 2017. Of those primary guys, Zorn was way overrated AND got thrown to the wolves because Dabo was a bit of a moron his first year or two; Chad was a functional ######; and HJ, for all 5 of his stars, I think it was kind of understood that he was overrated (unless I'm just rewriting history in my mind). The rest of the list was depth guys, besides Bryant who got the chance to start, and confirm that he's a depth guy.

Billy Luckie...good question. That guy was apparently impressively dumb, like "what are you doing on a college campus even though you're a talented quarterback" dumb. Wonder what happened to him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check out this excerpt re: Billy.....

Dec 14, 2020, 10:18 PM

On Saturday, Luckie topped himself. But he was so excited and nervous.that he made the mistake of doing things backward in terms of letting everyone in the huddle know what play to be run. ``When they called the play in from the sidelines, I was yelling it to them at the top of my lungs. The guys were like, `be quiet.? he recalled. Said Priester:``I immediately grabbed him and told him to calm down. It’s just like practice.? Luckie quickly took to Priester’s admonition, but when he lined up under center he was barely audible while calling out the signals. Blame it on the adrenaline, right? ``In that kind of situation, it’s your first time out and you don’t want to do terrible,? Luckie said. ``You want to try to do something great. You don’t want to look timid.?

https://www.goupstate.com/news/19961001/a-luckie-shot-qb-impresses

I am the captain of the Willy Korn fan club.

Dec 14, 2020, 10:22 PM

And it may not be success by the standards of some, but I’m thinking this young man is on his way to a very successful career. So in some respects, NGU with Chadwell was the best thing to happen to him:

https://goccusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/willy-korn/1694

Interview with Walt from last week:

http://wccpfm.com/coastal-carolina-oc-willy-korn-on-road-rage/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was going to be the guy at Clemson

Dec 14, 2020, 10:25 PM

when he got hurt, I was devastated.

He is doing great and I am sure he will be a future big time coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, and as I recall, didn't we rush him back?

Dec 14, 2020, 10:39 PM

Or am I mixing him up with Kyle Parker and his ribs?

What I remember about the injury is that it was early in his

Dec 14, 2020, 10:43 PM

Freshman year, and he didn't try to play until the following year. If that was fast or slow, I do not know, but seems reasonable. I think I remember reading that labrum injuries are almost 100% career enders for MLB pitchers, the ones who do come back being able to win with less velocity.

Could be wrong on all that.

this is a pretty good autograph....

Dec 14, 2020, 10:45 PM

Yep, I was thinking about Kyle Parker.....

Dec 14, 2020, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Yup, and as I recall, didn't we rush him back? ]

Broke a rib against Auburn in game 1, we didn't catch it somehow, played him all season, and more broken ribs in bowl game.

The way he played after that hit in the Auburn game was like a light switch going off. He was a man avoiding hits at all cost after that.

54:30 mark......I realize I'm talking to myself at this

Dec 14, 2020, 11:11 PM

point, but I just got myself pizzzed over this whole game all over again...

https://youtu.be/p8yuWcUJzJ4

Is that when he gets speared by the Auburn player?

Dec 15, 2020, 7:21 AM

we shoulda won that game. But you wonder, if we had, would anything have changed?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes...

Dec 15, 2018, 8:24 PM

Don’t think I have ever been more incensed watching a game than feeling like they hurt him on purpose and got away with it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had to go look to remember what scrub WR Parker threw

Dec 15, 2020, 8:25 AM [ in reply to 54:30 mark......I realize I'm talking to myself at this ]

that pass to when we had a guy named "Hopkins" on the team, and turns out, it was actually 3rd Down Jaron Brown. Pass was off by a foot, maybe less. Brown got his fingertips on it. Make that catch, and Clemson possibly, POSSIBLY derails Auburn's and Cam's national championship. Imagine how the trajectory of various careers would have been altered. Malzahn would be worth about $50M less, I imagine, as he never would have gotten the Auburn HC job, AND hung onto it by the skin of his teeth for years, AND gotten a $23M buyout.

Because Kyle Parker threw a ball 12" off because of a broken rib because of an illegal spear.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even better, remember how, when we were up like

Dec 15, 2020, 10:53 AM

21-7 on Auburn in that game, the headsets conveniently went out on our side of the field and didn't resume working until Auburn had taken the lead?

NOW I AM EVEN MORE TRIGGERED WHY AM I STILL READING THIS

Dec 15, 2020, 11:13 AM

THREAD!!! #cAPSlOCK

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

That's nothing....

Dec 15, 2020, 11:15 AM

AU is my son's current 1st choice for college. This thread alone is making me consider implementing a ban.

What does he want to study any why is AU over CU?***

Dec 15, 2020, 11:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two completely different options

Dec 15, 2020, 11:24 AM [ in reply to That's nothing.... ]

Aeronautical engineering or Digital Marketing

sorry soccr this was a reply to you. ^^^***

Dec 15, 2020, 11:24 AM

Figured it was a different engineering we didn't have.

Dec 15, 2020, 11:27 AM

Could he get into Georgia Tech for Aeronautical?

But man, I'm sorry, would suck to have an Auburn kid ;)

Don't know anything about marketing, but that sounds like an interesting major.

Instead of Auburn, why not have him search for a school that

Dec 15, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Two completely different options ]

offers Aeronautical Marketing or Digital Engineering?

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for triggering me. It was a dirty hit, and Dabo

Dec 15, 2020, 11:11 AM [ in reply to 54:30 mark......I realize I'm talking to myself at this ]

didn't have the stones to bench a kid who was now only playing to save his baseball career (I hold no ill feelings towards Kyle Parker, I would do the same).

Learned on game day

Dec 15, 2020, 6:44 AM [ in reply to I am the captain of the Willy Korn fan club. ]

He was Dabo’s first QB

Wow. WOWWEE.

Dec 15, 2020, 8:18 AM

A floppy transfer thread a mile long and not one single mention of Feaster.

I'd consider it that if you went somewhere to start and showcase your talent for the NFL as THE guy and still end up as second string on a supremely untalented roster.

I knew I read something recently regarding our transfers....

Dec 15, 2020, 8:26 AM

https://rubbingtherock.com/2020/05/15/clemson-football-transferring-success/

Dec 15, 2020, 8:39 AM

The only one I'd push back on is Chad Kelly. From a purely football standpoint he did well at Ole Miss.

He threw for nearly 7,000 yards with 50 passing TDs and ran for 800+ with 15 TDs over a season and a half. Beat Alabama, LSU, and Auburn.

He's probably Ole Miss's most successful QB since Eli Manning. Although that's damning with faint praise.

NOW LISTEN HERE BOY, KELLY BRYANT BEAT USofC TWICE

Dec 15, 2020, 8:53 AM

ONCE AT CLEMSON AND ONCE AT MIZZOURI .. HOW MANY TIMES DID KYLE PARKER DO THAT, HUH BOY? TAJH?

Two things, looks like TL16 ran off three players on your

Dec 15, 2020, 9:36 AM

list, that has to be a record: Johnson, Bryant, Brice.

Lastly, I remember 1990s Clemson who had two future NFL players at QB. ONe was a LB and the other a CB. Such was the Hatfield years

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic