Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The things that stick out to me on Bradford Brownlee...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,163

The things that stick out to me on Bradford Brownlee...

Feb 6, 2020, 7:37 AM

are his inconsistence and his seeming lack of big game coaching ability. Almost every single season he struggles in either the preconference slate or conference slate. This is usually paired with being mediocre to above average in the other portion of the schedule. We almost always have 3-4 games of promise followed by 3-4 games of excruciating struggle. This pattern has repeated itself in pretty much every one of his seasons.

I always pay attention to a coach's body language in big games and Brad seems very average in this regard at best. He doesn't seem to be "gnawing at his fingernails" nervous like Tammy Bowden. But he also doesn't seem to be razor focused and in the moment like DC Swinney. Rather, he almost seems to be thinking about something else, like a post game meal or getting back to the house to relax. He lacks that big game presence I recall in Barnes and even Ellis to an extent. I think this will always limit our results regardless of the amount of talent Brad accumulates which has always been limited. We pick up two solid guys next year but will lose Simms. It seems Brad will get the opportunity to coach next season so we will see what he can do.

As with many here, last season stands out as a huge thorn in Brownell'a side. To fail to get out of a 2nd round of the NIT with a squad he took to the sweet 16 speaks volumes of his inconsistency and ability to coach when it matters the most. Throw in the fact that he has gotten defensive on a few occasions when his success was questioned and it leaves me thinking he is not the man for the job. Why settle for mediocre? I would prefer the continued quest for being great every now and again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big game coaching ability? where is this coming

Feb 6, 2020, 8:43 AM

from? Just this season we have won probably the two biggest games of the season so far. This is really not a good take, I mean yeah I guess we lost to FSU and Louisville, but that’s because they’re fantastic teams with experience. All teams have good stretches and bad stretches, and yes that tends to happen during conference or non conference probably because that’s the whole season. Of the 5 biggest games in the last probably 20 years for us he’s won 3 of them and even the game against Kansas we were real close even though they were rediculously more talented than we were.

Re: Big game coaching ability? where is this coming

Feb 6, 2020, 8:56 AM

I like to watch body language in tight or big games. My experience in talking about this reminds me that many fans don't pay attention to this or get it. I understand it may not be something you dive in to.

The other thing I emphasize here is that we always seem to fall off of a cliff after a good stretch under Brownell. He is rarely able to capitalize on momentum. This also speaks to his ability to put forth solid leadership. Just my opinion.

My recollection is that we got blown out by Kansas and we're down by a ton at half. We caught fire at the end when Kansas had the game well in hand. The ending score was not indicative of how close the game was.

Re: The things that stick out to me on Bradford Brownlee...

Feb 6, 2020, 8:51 AM

I’m not sure about the big game comment but agree with most of the rest. Remember how charming it was supposed to be that Brownell never got technicals? Because rolling over for ACC refs has always been such a formula for success at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Feb 6, 2020, 9:02 AM

Yeah. He never seems to give it to them when they totally deserve it. I guess on the big game comment the main thing is that we really have not been in more than a few big games in BB'a tenure from a national perspective. I think of the many failures in the NIT and first NCAA. Also the failure to keep momentum going when we string together 2 to 3 impressive wins. Seems he has always been terrible on the road.

Feb 6, 2020, 9:40 AM

After thinking about it, take away 2 NCAA tourney wins, and he is bad at big games. Everyone is excited about Duke and UNC this year but those aren’t big games in any meaningful sense. In the regular seasons games necessary to make the NCAA tourney would be big games. He’s pretty much 2-8 or worse in this category. Then there is the ACC tournament. He’s 4-8 there. And he’s 3-5 all time (3-2 at Clemson) in the NCAA tourney. So that puts him at about .333 in big games. Pretty bad for a coach compensated in the Top 30 of all of college basketball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Feb 6, 2020, 9:13 AM

The fact that we suck year after year after year might be an indicator we need a new coach.

IDK

BB is kind of like TB was - consistently inconsistent.

Feb 6, 2020, 9:58 AM

Personality-wise BB is fine. And while I am not a basketball guy when it comes to the modern game, I think most knowledgeable people believe he is a good Xs and Os guy. To me, proof of that is the way he switched up to the zone last night and the way he did not call a time out on the last sequence against Syracuse. He knows what to do, I think.

My biggest concern has always been that I think for a coach to be successful at Clemson he has to have an edge, an angle. That's what made Barnes so good (a lil'banty rooster who got in Schnozz and K's face) and to some degree OP with his "havoc"-like press game. We need that angle because we are not a traditional ACC basketball power and will never be a Dook or UNC, the way they will never be us in football.

I was at CU in the late 80s. Football was great then and so was basketball. We *should* be able to have good basketball success because that should feed on the football success. Ellis was a good coach and he did have that big game presence you're talking about. Barnes was even better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guarantee his big game demeanor would change if

Feb 6, 2020, 11:49 AM

he recruited better players.

Re: I guarantee his big game demeanor would change if

Feb 6, 2020, 12:11 PM

That is, indeed, another factor. He has never really been good at recruiting.The two guys coming in next year coupled with pretty solid talent leftover should give him the chance to save his #### starting next year. We have a bad year next year and he should be gone.

Feb 8, 2020, 10:49 PM

Last year's team, while very disappointing for sure, was not nearly the same squad he took to the sweet 16. That is a bogus statement that many people on here continue to make. Last years team was missing 2 key factors from the sweet 16 team in Gabe Devoe and a somewhat healthy Shelton Mitchell.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,163
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic