Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Advanced outlook: Clemson-Virginia Tech projections
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

FB Update: Advanced outlook: Clemson-Virginia Tech projections

Sep 28, 2017, 7:08 PM

Advanced outlook: Clemson-Virginia Tech projections

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Advanced outlook: Clemson-Virginia Tech projections

Sep 28, 2017, 7:20 PM

A lot of mathematical metrics. Looks good for the Tigers, but the field of play will determine who's better Saturday, not math. Tigers have the talent and the heart. Even away, we're better. Gubble, gubble.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Math predicts what the talent and heart will do***

Sep 28, 2017, 8:40 AM

Re: Math predicts what the talent and heart will do***

Sep 28, 2017, 9:26 PM

Are you serious. Math will never replace heart. Proven time and time again.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's pretty much the opposite of what I said.***

Sep 28, 2017, 9:30 PM

Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Advanced outlook: Clemson-Virginia Tech projections ]

Does this account for the fact that VT has not faced a top 80 defense? It may be worse than that. Not sure about WV but I did see Kansas roll up 500 yes on them

Sep 28, 2017, 7:45 PM

I believe we will win. But ESPNs metrics are turd and we all know that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site...

Sep 28, 2017, 8:39 PM

As an engineer, I love the advanced stats. Keep it coming!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thx all above for proving my point : )***

Sep 28, 2017, 8:43 PM

Re: Thx all above for proving my point : )***

Sep 28, 2017, 9:30 PM

You've proved nothing yet. The game will tell the real, vs projected outcome. Tigers will prevail.

Re: Thx all above for proving my point : )***

Sep 29, 2017, 7:07 AM

This!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But one must consider that these "metrics" are based on

Sep 28, 2017, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site... ]

VT playing one "decent" team and 3 cupcakes (yes, unfortunately ECU is now a cupcake after they made the mistake of running off Ruffin). Meanwhile, Clemson has played one cupcake, two ranked opponents, and one very tough, hard-nosed BC team.

Stats are stats and you can pull any stats you want to make one team's position look stronger or weaker. Watching film of both teams this year, this game will not be close if Clemson actually plays to "leave no doubt"!

Re: But one must consider that these

Sep 29, 2017, 8:32 AM

To be fair, what you call a cupcake and a hard-nose BC team are certainly subjective... Don't you think?

Re: 2But one must consider that these

Sep 29, 2017, 9:22 AM

Lindy, to me if you look at the thin veneer you are right. But when you consider the underlying strength of the team like the coach, schedule, conference, recruiting calibre and opponent experience, there is a dramatic difference between some opponents. Cupcake is a subjective term that indicates, at least to me, a easy opponent. It's not derogatory, just factual based on the above. Hope this helps.

These are the same people that brought us ESPN FPI

Sep 29, 2017, 1:18 PM [ in reply to But one must consider that these "metrics" are based on ]

so I really don't put much stock in it.

GO TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Football study hall is in no way affiliated with ESPN

Sep 29, 2017, 5:32 PM

It's all Bill Connelly's S&P+ and the stats that go into that formula. Bill Connelly is extremely smart and co-hosts a pretty good CFB podcast that can be found on SB Nation (and a number of other places).

I understand that advanced stats aren't for everyone, but Connelly does a great job, he's very transparent with his formula and stats, and he's always looking for ways to improve it. As far as CFB analytics go, he's basically the best in the business right now (outside of Vegas).

Re: Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site...

Sep 28, 2017, 11:11 PM [ in reply to Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site... ]

Typical engineer response!

As a career sales guy and former player, a boring read and difficult to digest......spot the #### ball & I’ll take “ours” against “theirs” anyday!!!!

The fun is in the winning!!!!!!

Re: Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site...***

Sep 29, 2017, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I find your attitude to be quite the challenge.

Sep 29, 2017, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site... ]

What the heck is bubba-ish about this site?

Re: Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site...

Sep 29, 2017, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Wow. I had always seen this as a bubba site... ]

Says the freeloader . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Sep 28, 2017, 9:16 PM

So much math . All that to tell us that Clemson is about to serve notice once again all your ACC belong to us !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 AM

I pretty much think that the universe is made up of ONES and ZEROES, so there's that.

90% of stats are made up.

Sep 29, 2017, 7:20 AM

Re: 90% of stats are made up.

Sep 29, 2017, 8:07 AM

Stats are great, but we put up our stats against 2 top 25 teams. VT put up their stats against Sisters of The Poor. It’s not apples to apples.

I don't think Ray got your joke...***

Sep 29, 2017, 12:17 PM [ in reply to 90% of stats are made up. ]

Most advanced stats adjust for opponents. That makes them

Sep 29, 2017, 12:08 PM

better than things like total offense and total defense. Almost all of these numbers are accounting for the fact that we've played a much more difficult schedule than VT.

I'm happy to see Tigernet run a column with focusing on advanced stats and I hope y'all continue the effort despite those that are confused by and/or disinterested in them.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic