Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
LegalZoom question about Wills/Power of Attorney, etc
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

LegalZoom question about Wills/Power of Attorney, etc

Mar 5, 2021, 11:35 AM

Greenr is in a predicament. Greenr has all this stuff done already, was done by a local law firm years back. However, Greenr is kin to people that need this done. They are elderly and have children (not Greenr or WifeofGreenr) chomping at the bit to grab whatever they can from an estate that I can best describe as less than FBCoach's place. Wifeof wants to help but she wants to also keep her distance. This will save Wifeof and her sister alot of heartache in the end when these people eventually pass on and the children are fighting each other to get a 2003 Ford Ranger and a rear projection big screen TV.

Wifeof proposed we hire them an attorney and then let them go get it sorted out.
Attorney #1 quotes $1200. Greenr is generous, but NOT THAT generous.
Attorney #2 does it on the side, quotes $600 for will, power of attorney, and healthcare POA. $250 for Will only.
Greenr suggests LegalZoom to Wifeof, BUT we would be responsible for walking them through it which means we will be blamed when someone wanted to inherit the collection of clown figurines but it might be listed elsewhere.

Ultimately, I want to be completely hands off and then watch the world burn at the end, but this would stress Wifeof out waaaayyyy too much.

What do, Jounge? You got any experience with LegalZoom for wills?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have experience with a lawyer in Asheville

Mar 5, 2021, 11:40 AM

who was reprimanded by the State of NC for allowing my sister to talk my dad into signing over a house to her in his final days. No one there but my dad and her, lawyer never showed up (we have proof) and entered it as he was at the house when my dad signed and notarized.

State reprimands him, my sister still keeps the house. I paid nearly $2k to try and get it overturned and kept losing. I quit.

I HATE family attorney's with the passion of a 1000 burning suns.

end of terrible story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you talk to your sister?

Mar 5, 2021, 11:52 AM

Have a long time friend from HS who is in a similar situation, his sister basically tried to steal everything from his parents' estate when his mom passed a few years ago. Even his sister's attorney was telling him and his attorney in private that she is a crazy and conniving cunt who deserves to be hammered by a judge. And apparently she was, and agreed to sell the house she tried to keep for herself, but now, in a shocking turn of events, she hasn't done shit towards that end.

So...back to court they go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

###### is ######

Mar 5, 2021, 12:23 PM

But you can write ####

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nevermind, you did the workaround***

Mar 5, 2021, 12:23 PM

Well...SOME of us can.

Mar 5, 2021, 12:23 PM [ in reply to ###### is ###### ]

Not you, obviously, but SOME of us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can imagine this same scenario playing out but with

Mar 5, 2021, 12:04 PM [ in reply to I have experience with a lawyer in Asheville ]

it not being a house and instead, a used lawnmower and a few spare tires.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad told me years ago

Mar 5, 2021, 12:05 PM [ in reply to I have experience with a lawyer in Asheville ]

When I die - you and your brother better not fight over my ####. Or I'll come back and haunt you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know what to recommend, but I will say this.

Mar 5, 2021, 11:45 AM

FBCoach would try the Legalzoom method. So let that be your guide.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pay an attorney for something ironclad.

Mar 5, 2021, 12:09 PM

I'm sure in a case where there are no multiple parties to argue over the estate, the online method is probably fine. It sounds like in this case, even the guy that does it on the side is going to have more legs than LegalZoom when it comes to the ensuing battle that is brewing on the horizon. I'm speaking more from common sense than experience here, but maybe FordPrefect® can offer an opinion on potential pitfalls of the DIY will.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do know one thing from experience...

Mar 5, 2021, 12:12 PM

Number 1 on this list is very important.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/features_entertainment/liz-weston-how-to-write-a-will-that-won-t/article_cfacea75-0b21-505f-964e-b8c93953519a.html

^^^this. And singular.***

Mar 5, 2021, 1:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, obviously Real Life Attorney is going to tell you that

Mar 5, 2021, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Pay an attorney for something ironclad. ]

Robot Attorney sucks. He doesn't want to lose his job to automation like the rest of us.

Thanks a lot 19B.

Mar 5, 2021, 12:46 PM

There goes my referral fee.

I'll see you in Robot Court, good sir.***

Mar 5, 2021, 1:05 PM

Let your wife deal with it and make sure she has a blank

Mar 5, 2021, 12:14 PM

check from the National Bank of Greenr.

Meanwhile, you go about Greenering, and all is good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell them it’s not worth the heartache

Mar 5, 2021, 12:28 PM

My sister and I were sitting there dividing my mom’s kitchens utensils and then we realized that was dumb AF

We laughed and tossed it

She did have a $10k insurance policy meant for me that I did not know about. She passed away shortly before it became legit. Sisterof does not know this 13 yrs later

In the words of Aero

Mar 5, 2021, 12:38 PM

Aunt Bee The Andy Griffith Show GIF - AuntBee TheAndyGriffithShow  ThroatSlash - Discover & Share GIFs

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I don't do Trusts and Estates or Family law because too many

Mar 5, 2021, 12:51 PM

feels involved.

But my experience has been that most of the stuff that Legalzoom and like do is correct, but misses a lot of what a lawyer can add to the mix to make things go smoothly. You will get much better results from 1200 lawyer who does this exclusively but given the nature of the assets or lack thereof, it could probably be done pretty simply.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks. The lack of assets makes me not want to sink

Mar 5, 2021, 1:08 PM

my money into it when I know that funeral costs will probably fall on our shoulders and those dumbasses will think the estate doesn't need to pay that out first.

There are some free options too,

Mar 5, 2021, 1:12 PM

We actually used one of these for our very very very simple will and medical directive.

https://www.daveramsey.com/recommends/online-will-vs-lawyer-quiz?snid=free-tools.insurance-and-protection.online-will-vs-lawyer-quiz

This is the service we used

Mar 5, 2021, 1:20 PM

Maybe it was a few bucks? Really can't remember, but it was basically free.

https://meetfabric.com/

you get what you pay for***

Mar 5, 2021, 4:25 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic