Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don't get how the "experts" have Tua as the frontrunner
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

I don't get how the "experts" have Tua as the frontrunner

Jun 29, 2019, 8:36 AM

over Trevor. Coach BV figured out pretty quickly from film that Tua has patterned responses to certain looks, specifically blitzes, and was able to exploit that. Another way of putting it: Tua can't read coverages when under pressure. Trevor can. IMHO they're not even close. Tua is a great athlete with a great arm. But he's no where near Trevor is as a QB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NFL Executives have TL #1...it's all that matters***

Jun 29, 2019, 8:43 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NFL Executives have TL #1...it's all that matters***

Jun 29, 2019, 9:21 AM

They are the experts, and they put their money where there mouths are. The same experts thought AL would easily handle us, too, and how did that work out for them?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NFL Executives have TL #1...it's all that matters***

Jun 29, 2019, 3:10 PM

I agree with this assessment, Tua is playing in the SEC where no one knows how to defend a forward pass and has a very weak in and out of conference schedule. So Tua will put up huge numbers in the regular season and that's when the Heisman is awarded.

Re: I don't get how the "experts" have Tua as the frontrunner

Jun 29, 2019, 8:53 AM

In nuclear power we have a saying that "the closer you are to the reactor, the more important you are (perceived)." In college football, Nick Saban is the reactor. The closer you are to Nick Saban, the more important / talented you are perceived.

Jun 29, 2019, 8:56 AM

Jackson won the Heisman,; Watson won the Natty. It'll be fine with me if the same happens this year! Go TL and go Tigers!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very simple but astute analogy MO FO

Jun 29, 2019, 10:54 AM

Hope your Saturday is treating you and little mo fo well!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Front runner for what?***

Jun 29, 2019, 9:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2019, 9:09 AM

Easy to understand. They were so certain bama would win the Natty that they didn't watch so they're stuck with pre-smack down in their heads.

Jun 29, 2019, 9:24 AM

A front runner two months before the season starts is not a real thing. At this point they could be referring to name recognition, popularity, the experts bias or simply trying to gain clicks in a slow off season. Things always work out out...

I assume you’re talking Heisman

Jun 29, 2019, 9:30 AM

In that case it makes a lot of sense why Tua would be the favorite. QB on one of the 2 best teams in the country and there’s not another clear Heisman contender at Alabama compared to ETN who will likely steal votes away from Trevor. This would give Tua a better chance of winning the Heisman because his votes aren’t going to get cannibalized.

ETN @ 40:1

Jun 29, 2019, 9:44 AM

I picked up Travis Etienne at 40:1 for $100 this month in Las Vegas. In a little less than 6 months I expect to pick up my $4,000.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heisman is just about putting up huge stats

Jun 29, 2019, 9:48 AM

and Tua did that last year and likely will again this year.

Jun 29, 2019, 10:08 AM

The experts probably think that Tua will have to play more against that scary SEC schedule and that Trevor won't have to play nearly as much due to Clemson dominating the competition. In other words Tua will probably rack up higher numbers simply because he will be in the 4th quarter while Trevor will be chillin watching Chase ball out??

Jun 29, 2019, 11:46 AM

Uh .... didn't Bama dominate the competition, even more than Clemson last year? Also your choice of words "have to play more" should be "play more", since Bama does not play nearly as many players as we do, so yes Tua will play more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2019, 10:10 AM

SEC,SEC,SEC

Jun 29, 2019, 10:47 AM

I assume you do know who Tua plays for and the conference that is preranked the best at everything and yet you wonder why??

The only way Tua is ahead of Trevor is if you're going with

Jun 29, 2019, 12:27 PM

a list of initials from high to low. Then, and only then, TT > TL. At the footsball, not so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2019, 12:35 PM

It isn't always about how good you really are, it's about how good other say you are, and that is how it is fitting with Tua....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess they figure Tua will play 3 qtrs while TL will play...

Jun 29, 2019, 12:41 PM

2.5 qtrs?

So “better” stats accumulated and playing “better” SEC competition?

It’s a no-brainer!

??

OR...

Tua’s dad threatened him “Win the Heisman OR ELSE!!!” So Tua has to win. His life depends on it.

??

~JKB

Re: I guess they figure Tua will play 3 qtrs while TL will play...

Jun 29, 2019, 4:40 PM

Or the "experts" can't dislodge their noses from Nicky's ashhole.

Jun 29, 2019, 12:42 PM

When it comes to stats, Tua should be the front-runner. Alabama doesn't have an ETN in the backfield drawing attention away from the QB position.

TL is the better player, but Tua will have more opportunity to post superior stats. Plus, I think voters will reward him this year for losing by a nose last year.

We learned in spades in 2015 the Heisman Trophy isn't awarded to the best player. Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey finishing ahead of DW4 was a complete travesty. If DW4 played for Alabama, it would have been a blowout win instead of a fairly close vote.

Jun 29, 2019, 12:48 PM

I think there's a few reasons here. As someone else said, ETN is going to put up huge stats on the same team as TL so that works against him. I also think it's going to be hard(not impossible) for someone to win a Heisman here because Dabo is never going to play someone longer than needed simply to run up stats to try and win the award. That's not a knock against Dabo, as his way of doing things has been proven to work.

A lot of those easier games where players can pad huge stats during blowouts end up being average looking stat games for our starters due to Dabo rotating players, and getting the starters out early. An example of this was Watson having 152 yards passing against SC State during his Junior year. Again, Dabo's doing the right thing in putting the team first, but it's going to be harder for us to have a guy won it IMO.

Jun 29, 2019, 12:53 PM

I also think it's very shortsighted to act as if Tua has been exposed now based on the game against us. For starters, you're assuming that Tua isn't going to learn from his mistakes. Also, BV is the best DC in college football, and he had elite players on defense at all positions that most teams won't come close to being able to match. Even then Tua still passed for 295 yards in just over 3 quarters of play so it's not as if we completely shut him down either.

All that said, I do think TL is the better QB, and will certainly make a better NFL QB as well.

If we win another championship then it will be "Tua who"?***

Jun 29, 2019, 12:55 PM

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

There Really Are 2 Factors Unrelated To Talent That Drive It

Jun 29, 2019, 1:03 PM

1) Nick Saban will overplay Tua late into games and his stats will get fluffed. Tua against real defenses is average, against BV defenses he is total poop.

2) ESPIN - Will pimp SEC QB to continue to propagate their agenda of lies

TL is head and shoulders better than Tua. Tua will not be an NFL elite QB, he may play but he will not thrive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama will lose 2 games this year and miss SECCG.

Jun 29, 2019, 1:33 PM

Don't think every SEC DC on Alabama's schedule isn't dissecting Venables' schemes that worked against Tua. A few of these will catch up with them through the season.

Alabama and Saban have never been under more pressure than they are right now, having to prove that the title game shellacking was an aberration and not a telling sign of a new day. Their media supporters are definitely beating that drum, so even tougher to live up to.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic