Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I don’t believe a single Clemson fan would disagree with me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

I don’t believe a single Clemson fan would disagree with me

Jul 6, 2020, 4:27 PM

If I suggested that some kind of memorial be established within the athletic department honoring Herman McGee. I suspect that some things have been done to keep his memory alive at Clemson because he truly was a great Tiger. I’ve been a Clemson man involved with the athletic program for more than fifty years and I have never heard an unkind word about that great Clemson man. Truly loved by everyone who came in contact with him. Coach Howard would be the first to cast the vote for a monument of some kind honoring this black gentleman who loved Clemson more than anyone.

A lot of folks forget about these days at Clemson when the world was much different than it is now. Mr. McGee made up for every fault that Tillman or Calhoun may have had in earlier times. And we love him for it,

Go Tige

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don’t believe a single Clemson fan would disagree with me

Jul 6, 2020, 4:39 PM

I would like to see that happen.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I agree 100% - knew a number of guys.....

Jul 6, 2020, 4:40 PM

who played football at Clemson when I was in school. Everything they and others who knew Herman McGee said he was a fine man with class who represented Clemson University well.

100% agree***

Jul 6, 2020, 4:43 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 4:45 PM

I would donate to a memorial if needed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Start the petition!

Jul 6, 2020, 4:59 PM

Everyone of that era understands the value this man was to our football program. Ask any player!

Go, Tigers! BYOG!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 5:00 PM

I agree and I guess I thought something had been done to name a training room or something after him previously. If it hasnt it is overdue

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 5:06 PM

I think that this has been done but few outside of the Clemson family will ever see or know of this. I think that something within the stadium would have more meaning.

I disagree

Jul 6, 2020, 5:01 PM

with anyone who disagrees with this

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 5:41 PM

I'll donate to it. Herman was as fine a man as ever set foot on the Clemson campus!

Jul 6, 2020, 6:12 PM

I'm pretty sure something has been done to honor him. I have a relative that played Tiger baseball and he received a letter requesting donations for a bust or something to remember him. Don't know if they received enough to do something but he should be honored. He advised a lot of homesick white boys at the time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 7:31 PM

Thanks for the favorable and well thought out responses.

You'd have some fans disagree with you, FT, if you said

Jul 6, 2020, 7:45 PM

something unarguable like "ETN's a great running back."

It's just the way some people are. So don't expect a unanimous opinion on something much more subjective.

To your point, Herman McGee was GREAT guy and deserves recognition somewhere.

Jul 6, 2020, 7:51 PM

Who is he and what's his story?

Good write-up (link)

Jul 6, 2020, 8:13 PM

https://clemsontigers.com/clemson-vault-herman-mcgee-everyones-friend/

Re: Good write-up (link)

Jul 6, 2020, 8:22 PM

Sounds like an amazing person.

Jul 6, 2020, 8:16 PM

I think you did find something that everyone would agree on.....

Does anyone know how to kick start something like this? GoFundMe? Through IPTAY?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2020, 8:58 PM

If the opportunity presents itself I’ll mention it at an Iptay meeting. It’s amazing that things like this are NEVER mentioned during critical times like we heard after the shooting that captured all the headlines. It’s great that the Tigers had the “togetherness parade” but Clemson has been together for a long time! imo

When I was a student in the early 60s Herman and his staff were a common sight on campus. One of his assistants taped an ankle for me in Redfern one rainy morning after I took a hard spill running to class. I could see why the players held him in such high esteem.

Back in those days most of the ladies who worked in the dining hall were local black girls. Never in my years at Clemson did I ever hear an unkind word of any kind said to those girls. We all got to know them on a first name basis and they looked out for the cadets. It was a big moment then to be away from home and Mama for the first time just like it is now. Clemson had a lot of special people make it a lot easier. Like these ladies. I wish I had told them how important they were. Life is good... at Clemson

Jul 6, 2020, 9:10 PM

There is a large mural honoring our man Herman just outside of the locker/ training room in the stadium, but not available to the public to see and admire. I agree something more visible and public would be appropriate!

I actually met him before Coach Howard and

Jul 7, 2020, 7:03 AM

instantly developed a great respect for his knowledge and ways of accomplishing things. And I made a point of seeking him out to say goodbye when I graduated.

When he died in 1980, the news struck fairly hard, as his death was unexpected, and I thought then he deserved a special recognition.

Thus, FT, of course, I agree with you. He should be so honored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic