Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey Lakebum, know how you always distrust youth leaders?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Hey Lakebum, know how you always distrust youth leaders?

Feb 26, 2021, 8:07 AM

I'd put male gymnastics coaches up there on that same pedestal of distrust. I suspect the reason this guy killed himself is because he needed to die.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/02/25/john-geddert-olympics-gymnastics-coach-scandal-charges-dies-suicide/6823469002/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Males coaching females

Feb 26, 2021, 9:03 AM

I know a little about this. There's two buckets, and nothing in between

1. The super cautious male, who is never alone with the underaged athletes, follows the rule of two, usually breaks the ice with dad jokes and probably wears clothes that were fashionable 30 years ago

2. The Dee Bag who is there being a perv, tells edgy jokes to test the water pushes the envelope and is looking for a victim

It's about 90% guy 1 to 10% guys 2, but makes us guy 1s look sketchy as hell and makes me mad as hell.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have been there too.

Feb 26, 2021, 9:14 AM

You wanna see Obed go straight back to 9 years old when girls have cooties? Let a 13 year old on the team who's not his daughter come in for a celebratory hug after a big win. I'd go straight to the "hands in the air, stand up straight, don't lean in, I swear I don't find this enjoyable" pose for any parents in the crowd who were observing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is terrifying that you think it's 10%. Really needs to be

Feb 26, 2021, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Males coaching females ]

0.1% (actually really needs to be zero, but that's impossible).

Lot of Guy 1 also falls into they started coaching females because they have a daughter too, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

or because nobody else would coach the team

Feb 26, 2021, 12:44 PM

even though they know nothing of the sport

But yea for hugs and #### I end up like

Dont Touch Me Back Off GIF by Bounce - Find & Share on GIPHY

That comes from my middle school classes when I first started out and those girls wanted to hang all over you all day.

Would rather hurt feelings than somebody think I was a pedophteven

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

It goes like this with all youth coaching.

Feb 26, 2021, 12:50 PM [ in reply to It is terrifying that you think it's 10%. Really needs to be ]

You have child #1, boy or girl, and they want to play a sport...so maybe they're 6 or 7 and signing up for soccer or t-ball at the Y or church league. You go to the initial team meeting and they pass around volunteer sign up interest sheets.

Being a man who loves his kids but also enjoys a little free time, you think, "I'll sign up to help be an assistant coach.....none of the head coach duties and time demands....maybe help shag some fly balls in the outfield, pick up cones after practics....".

Then the league director calls you and explains they don't have enough coaches and if you don't serve as head coach, your kid won't have a team.

As for addressing your gender-specific question....I grew up in SC in the 80's.....you think I ever even heard of women's lacrosse? LOL. Dove in headfirst when my daughter wanted to play though and learned everything I could...helped coach, helped her individually, etc. Just from giving a crap and caring to learn, I bet I can coach the women's goalie position as well as anyone in the Southeast. At a team level I enjoyed coaching girls more. Far more daddy issues in that crowd that lead to lifelong self-esteem issues, and I think I made more of a positive impact as a well-intentioned semi-father figure than I did with boys. That same dynamic though is why it is hunting in a baited field for the creeper set.

LOL you just decribed perfectly how I got sucked into Y

Feb 26, 2021, 1:04 PM

coaching. After a while I just knew I could check the 'assistant coach' option all I wanted, and that wouldn't matter, I was automatic HC; running practice, planning lineups, and worst of all dealing with the ####### parents.

I even coached a season of basketball and I know almost nothing about the sport.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got sucked in coaching football that way

Feb 26, 2021, 1:08 PM

flag football, we ran the Air Raid.

When it was working we'd score 30-40 points

when it wasn't: sad trombone

I can proudly and honestly say that almost all the teams I

Feb 26, 2021, 1:10 PM

coached were in the top 3/4 of the league.

Lots, yes. Not me.

Feb 26, 2021, 12:50 PM [ in reply to It is terrifying that you think it's 10%. Really needs to be ]

One year the only team that formed was a girls team, and I got picked. It is soooooo much easier and fun with girls. Very little ego or showing off. I've coached boys since but it's a preference for me now.

Obed alluded to it. I used to coach at two schools where the majority of my players were at-risk. No dad around. I've had more than one mom come to me and thank me for showing their daughter that masculinity is not all about selfishness and making bad choices.

My current school, 99% white, you draw your own conclusion.

My daughters are coached by females or me.

I briefly attended a Catholic school and there was a

Feb 26, 2021, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Males coaching females ]

coach that was really, really, really, really flirty with a player on the volleyball team. It was a strong rumor that he was doing the deed with this chick. I was a junior and she was a freshman. Anyway, I left and eventually graduated from public school only to find out later that they got married like two weeks after she graduated high school.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My sister had a really creepy cheerleading coach

Feb 26, 2021, 10:49 AM

Who tried to fight my dad when he forbid her from having a spend the night at his house. Amazing how these people can be so obvious, yet fly under the radar for so long.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. It was really weird in middle school when the cute girl

Feb 26, 2021, 10:53 AM

who ran track had to report to the gym teacher/track coach for daily rehab sessions in the hot tub that was right next to his office.

Dang old ankle never did heal right.

We had a younger PE coach in high school, I always assumed

Feb 26, 2021, 11:13 AM

he was banging a couple of high school chicks. I guess it's hard to blame the girls, he sure was hot #### rolling up in his wind suit making $35k a year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you and I also had a different PE coach

Feb 26, 2021, 11:24 AM

And I know for certain she was banging a couple softball players.

LOL, I think she had moved up the chain of command a bit***

Feb 26, 2021, 11:48 AM

I had her twice

Feb 26, 2021, 12:41 PM

she was my PE coach at Beck AND Mann. I'm 95% sure she followed one of the previously mentioned softball players that was in my grade.

We lost a football coach who was fraternizing with a

Feb 26, 2021, 11:30 AM [ in reply to We had a younger PE coach in high school, I always assumed ]

young cheerleader. She was a smoke show and her daddy was on the school board (or something like that, I don't fully remember). He was probably 23-24 years old.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

eeww

Feb 26, 2021, 10:55 AM [ in reply to My sister had a really creepy cheerleading coach ]

pigs of sister?

I'd like to put money on that fight.

Feb 26, 2021, 11:31 AM [ in reply to My sister had a really creepy cheerleading coach ]

That would prob have gotten pretty ugly pretty quick for the PE teacher.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just what I was thinking.***

Feb 26, 2021, 12:43 PM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Three years ago, I had a couple of kids on

Feb 26, 2021, 1:01 PM [ in reply to My sister had a really creepy cheerleading coach ]

my two club teams that couldn't afford to pay for the hotel room in Savannah. So, I paid it for them, in my name, swore them on a stack of Bibles that I would make sure if I get charged anything for damages it was on them. Went great.

After check in, the first thing they wanted to do was show me the condition of the room.

As a male coach of females, you hear the alarm go off. Being seen in their room at anytime, constitutes that you have been in their room.

All the NOPES.

Texted me pictures instead.

It sucks, because we got predators like Nassar out there.

And, yes, soccerkrzy® it's closer to 10 than 0.1

Pictures of what?***

Feb 26, 2021, 1:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ############# room.***

Feb 26, 2021, 1:04 PM

Her high school was later linked to that whole Thornblade

Feb 26, 2021, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Three years ago, I had a couple of kids on ]

sex scandal ordeal, so hard to believe nothing was going on. You'd have to be a brazen MFer to deal with these kids parents, etc. then diddle them.

Do we have any updates on the Thornblade story?

Feb 26, 2021, 4:13 PM

That was better reading than the Ken Starr report.

Let me add a quick update. That dude should have been

Feb 26, 2021, 12:56 PM

alive to get his federal pound me in the ### moment.

It's lmost all men, BUT I had to run off a lesbian JV coach for getting WAY too chummy with players.

Know a guy who makes inappropriate comments to teens

Feb 26, 2021, 1:00 PM

has had a few dad's show up in his yard threatening to beat his ###. No clue how he's not fired.

I just don't get it. All you have to do is wait until they walk across the stage and out the door. Then you can go to town on it.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic