Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mountain Lion attack in Cali...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Mountain Lion attack in Cali...

Feb 17, 2020, 3:56 PM

at Rancho San Antonio County Park and Open Space Preserve in Santa Clara County, California.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/girl-6-attacked-mountain-lion-saved-adult-punched-103250397--abc-news-topstories.html
">

The reason I mention this? This was a place that Frank Kellers III used to volunteer a lot of his time after retirement.

It was also the place where I first met Frank.

Bob Pollock and I went to Stanford for a meet, and Coach said, "you've never met Frank. But if we come out here and I don't call him, and he finds out,....I'll never hear the end of it".

I went for a short run there. It hilly but beautiful country. I can see why he loved to volunteer there.

We would later have dinner with him and his wife, Sheila at their house. I'll never forget Bob said, I'm not sure if we should stay for dinner. I would need to run it by Becky in compliance first anyway. Frank said, "I'll handle that". He called her office (didn't even have to look up the number) and left a voice message: "Becky, Frank Kellers here. I have Bob and his runner here and they're staying for dinner. We're having spaghetti. If you have a problem with it, you know my number". Coach's head just dropped as he said, Frank, I have to deal with that women when I get back.

I don't think Frank liked Becky very much. LOL!!

I also remember him having a few Gin (Beefeater) & tonics and offered Coach on several occasions, but he declined. I could just tell Frank was a man that have a love for life and living it to it's fullest.

The next night, I went on to run a 17sec PR in the 5000 and qualify for Nationals. Frank and Coach running around the turn after the race with their stop watches in hand, is a memory I'll never forget.

That was the only time I meet Frank, but he left a huge and lasting impression with his knowledge and passion for Clemson. When the phrase, a Clemson Man needs no Introduction was created, I have to believe they were thinking of Frank!

May both these Clemson men, Bob and Frank, continue to Rest in Peace.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mountain Lion attack in Cali...Frank was quite a

Feb 17, 2020, 4:51 PM

character. Helped start a Tnet scholarship. I miss him and havent heard his name come up in years. Was my IPTAy rep

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I brought this up b/c

Feb 17, 2020, 5:18 PM

I knew there would be a few on here that would remember Frank!

Wasn't his handle CATigerMan?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I brought this up b/c

Feb 17, 2020, 5:31 PM

yes I think small m but that was it. He was actually a distant relative of the Judge (the store owner not the poster here). Thanks for your post. I had heard of the attack but did not know about him being close to that area

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank was the epitome of a Clemson man

Feb 18, 2020, 6:31 PM [ in reply to I brought this up b/c ]

Frank was the president of the Northern California Crimson club during the time the lovely bride and I lived in Fresno. This was in the early 90s. Our team back then was pretty poor, and the viewing options on the west coast were worse. Especially by today’s standards.

Frank would get local establishments in the Sunnyvale area to open early so we could watch the games which started at 9 AM local time. We would sometimes have up to 20 people there. Frank would always get a Reuben that was so hot it would make his forehead sweat!

There are several people I wish were still around just so they could know what it felt like when Renfro caught that pass in the end zone. Frank is at the top of the list.

Thank you so much for this post.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Club ... %#$& autocorrect***

Feb 18, 2020, 6:32 PM

Great story***

Feb 17, 2020, 5:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mountain Lion attack in Cali...

Feb 18, 2020, 10:59 AM

Here’s a few links pertaining to Frank Kellers III:

https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/mercurynews/obituary.aspx?n=&pid=151678664&referrer=0&preview=True

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/72487285

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All you youngins....

Feb 18, 2020, 5:06 PM

learn about one of the best men to come through Clemson.

Feb 18, 2020, 11:04 AM

I hate to be the one to mention this, but it was the way the girl was dressed. She was just asking for it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was she wearing a bunny suit ?***

Feb 18, 2020, 12:26 PM

thanks for sharing

Feb 18, 2020, 11:09 AM

Neat story

Why couldn't the Mountain Lion attack Becky instead?***

Feb 18, 2020, 5:31 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LMAO!!

Feb 19, 2020, 12:19 AM

He probably knew his limits.

Feb 18, 2020, 7:50 PM

I flew my family out to California a few years back on vacation and spent a day in Hollywood. To get a some good selfies with the iconic sign in the background, we drove to the neighborhood directly below the sign and parked in front of someone's house. From there we walked to the trailhead that would lead us directly below the sign and we came upon a sign that read "Danger - Rattlesnakes and Mountain Lions". Of course, we did what any smart South Carolinian would do at that point and we ignored the sign. I told my wife and kids that the people who live in that neighborhood only put that sign there just to scare tourists like us away. Well, luckily we didn't have a run in with any rattlesnakes or mountain lions, but I did google it when we returned home and learned the sign was legit.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic