Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I understanding correctly,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Am I understanding correctly,

Dec 31, 2020, 7:57 AM

As the Majority Leader, Senator McConnell can prevent action on any bill at any time? What if he's the only one out of 100 who doesn't like it? It seems kind of unfair.

Does Speaker Pelosi have the same sort of power in the House?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not aware of the majority leader having that power.***

Dec 31, 2020, 8:53 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: I'm not aware of the majority leader having that power.***

Dec 31, 2020, 8:59 AM

Mitch can count votes as well as Pelosi. Typically, if either wants something they can round up enough votes to get it by offering concessions to their caucus. While it seems simple that they can either bring something to the floor or not I don't believe either would or could go against the entire body.

I think the error in this thread is the presumption that Mitch is alone. It's more likely either majority wants pork or concession in any bill to get their vote.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why isn't the House bill to increase stimulus checks

Dec 31, 2020, 9:01 AM [ in reply to I'm not aware of the majority leader having that power.*** ]

being debated and voted on? My perception was that Senator McConnell single-handedly stopped it. Is that not true?

Re: Why isn't the House bill to increase stimulus checks

Dec 31, 2020, 9:02 AM

I don't think that's true. I think a 51-vote majority can bring it to a vote. But the votes aren't there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

He's not agreeing to separate the vote for the stimulus

Dec 31, 2020, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Why isn't the House bill to increase stimulus checks ]

from the vote for 230 and election investigation.

Fundamentally, what you are saying is accurate, procedurally they are different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It looks like any Senator has this procedural ability.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Why isn't the House bill to increase stimulus checks ]

Still not sure what the procedural ability is, but...

The GOP leader did not directly address why he objected, but under the Senate's rules any one senator can block efforts to set up votes or pass bills.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/531968-mcconnell-blocks-vote-on-2k-checks-signals-new-package

- Jonathan Swift

Also from that article.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:07 AM

Sanders tried to set up a vote on the House bill for Wednesday. When McConnell objected, Sanders blocked the GOP leader from scheduling a quick vote on overriding Trump's veto of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

No idea how that rule works, since it can't be right that a single senator is always empowered to stop the process.

- Jonathan Swift

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me.***

Dec 31, 2020, 9:19 AM

LOL, that'd better be sarcastic since I still don't get it.***

Dec 31, 2020, 9:20 AM

- Jonathan Swift

Well, at least you showed it's not just a sole power

Dec 31, 2020, 10:36 AM

of the Majority Leader. That's what I meant.

That cleared it up for me.

Dec 31, 2020, 12:13 PM [ in reply to LOL, that'd better be sarcastic since I still don't get it.*** ]

I don't know either and that's perfectly clear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Also from that article.

Dec 31, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Also from that article. ]

spoon,

The process that you are talking about is not used in the normal passage of laws.

In the House: When Trump hollered about wanting $2000 stimulus checks, Speaker Pelosi said - OK. The next day she tried to get the increase approved by acclamation (If every Representative agrees - then that's it - it is done) But if even one Representative objects (which they did) then the acclamation door is shut. When that happened, Pelosi had to present a bill with the change in it and bring it to the floor for a regular vote. It passed (with some Republican support)

Then the bill goes to the Senate.

In the Senate, Senator Sanders tried to get the $2000 check passed by acclamation (see above) but McConnell objected, so the acclamation door was shut. Now McConnell is working on bringing the bill to the floor for a vote but he is poisoning the bill with 230 and election legislation that is intended to keep it from getting Dem votes and the majority needed for passage. Or at least forcing those unsavory (to Dems) things passed in order to get the larger checks.

With Trump back in DC, we will see whose will prevails - Trump's or McConnell's. Time is short and Americans are suffering in the meantime.

Dec 31, 2020, 12:15 PM

That explanation is impressive.

Dec 31, 2020, 1:32 PM

Why, thank-you 88

Re: Why isn't the House bill to increase stimulus checks

Dec 31, 2020, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Why isn't the House bill to increase stimulus checks ]

Prod,

Mitch stopped the Dems from getting a vote just on raising the stimulus check amounts,

Now he is angling politically by tying the new stimulus checks to 230 legislation and election investigation, effectively holding the Dems over a barrel. They can't get the larger stimulus checks without swallowing these other bitter pills.

IN the bigger picture, Speaker Pelosi used her significant power in the House to restrict THEIR vote to just the change in stimulus money.

Then Majority Leader McConnell used his significant power in the Senate to either kill the $2000 checks or force Dems to vote for 230 legislation and election investigations that they adamantly oppose.

The President just jetted back to DC so we will see what happens next.

Just saying, if 99 senators want the bill

Dec 31, 2020, 12:11 PM

and McConnel were the only one who didn't, there is a way for a vote to happen, no matter what McConnel thinks, right? I know that's just a hypothetical.

I apologize for both misspelling Senator McConnell's name

Dec 31, 2020, 12:14 PM

and for not using his title, "Senator", in that last post.

Re: Just saying, if 99 senators want the bill

Dec 31, 2020, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Just saying, if 99 senators want the bill ]

prod,

Yes, if a Rep Senator is willing to buck McConnell and face the consequences.

Re: Am I understanding correctly,

Dec 31, 2020, 11:42 AM

MItch cannot completely control that process, but any Rep Senator that bucks him could face a number of ways that Mitch could (& would) damage them.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic