Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am not trying to take away Spurrier’s ability to Win as a HC but
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

I am not trying to take away Spurrier’s ability to Win as a HC but

Nov 16, 2020, 5:28 AM

his famous 3 year run at SC involved several factors. Spurrier was a decent HC at SC, he attracted local talented players like Sidney Rice, Conner Shaw, Clowney, Alston Jeffries and Marcus Latimore. Once the regional talent dried up Spurrier’s teams ans the coots came back down to what they are. An average football program. You also have to take into consideration Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and other SEC teams were down during the infamous gamecock run. Even Clemson was up and down during those 3 11 win seasons until Dabo built Clemson into an Elite program. Plus the coots always played a couple of cupcake team each year. In fact they were beat by The Citadel and came close to losing to Wofford. I believe this was during Muschumps tenure as HC. It just shows SC just cannot win consistently 9 or more games year after year.

Let’s look at Spurrier’s 10 full seasons the coots lost 5 or more games 7 of those 10 seasons and 1 season he lost 4 games. It was a 3 year run 2011-2013 when Spurrier won 11 games. Based on these stats I don’t believe any coach can consistently win in Columbia, SC. Those 3 years of 11 wins and the 5 year winning streak is the historic run of the coots. Since the they have been what they have always been. An average football team. When Spurrier stepped down SC was 2-4. Since then we have owned SC 6 consecutive wins. IMO they begged the SEC to keep us off their schedule in 2020.

That is the greatest moments in Coot football.

Go Tigers ??+??= 6 for those coots that cannot count past 5, it will be 7 next season.

Major changes to the U of SC will need to take place before they can even think of building a winning program no matter who the HC is. One is to below up WB, build a new stadium with a Main Street college village where it’s safe for students. Then they need to gamble on a late 30’s early 40’s energetic HC, build assume athletic facilities, then stop recruiting potential CCI recruits. Start over building the program with a new culture. Unfortunately their are to many coot fans that are not patient enough to wait 10 to 12 years for this to happen. Especially with no guarantees that things will ever change in coot town. But after 100 plus years they need to try something new!

I hope none of the current Clemson coaches are considering going to SC. I think it’s a career killer for HC’s. I can’t Name a HC who was fired from SC who has had success as a HC at a P-5 school after leaving SC. You could give props to Charlie Strong for his success at Louisville but he was not a coot HC at SC.

Going to SC as the Head Football coach IMO is like falling on a sword. If I were Hugh Freeze I would run as far as I could in the opposite direction from cootsville. Unless you like being considered a failure, living on Lake Murray and receiving buyout $$$$ why would anyone want to be the HC at U of SC???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am not trying to take away Spurrier’s ability to Win as a HC but

Nov 16, 2020, 7:11 AM

I'm not trying to take away from his abilities either, but what's your point. Spurrier is not even yesterdays news.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 7:20 AM

Sakerlina needs a coach that can cheat a little to get ahead, all eyes will be on Freeze making this impossible. I see UT firing Pruitt and hiring the freeze before Tanner can get his head out of his ash!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 7:24 AM

Hello Captain Obvious

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that was almost a decade ago. The kids we are recruiting

Nov 16, 2020, 7:28 AM

now were 8 or 9 at the end of their famous run that ended with no championships

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic