Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am not a HUGE basketball follower but I do keep up...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I am not a HUGE basketball follower but I do keep up...

Mar 26, 2019, 8:30 AM

with Clemson basketball.

I keep hearing about how Brad Brownell needs to go.

What I don't hear, or maybe I missed it, is who is out there for Clemson to go after?

Who would you like to see lead Clemson basketball if BB is let go.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first choice would be Jay Wright...

Mar 26, 2019, 8:38 AM

He may not be a realistic options but you sure won't know if you don't ask. I also don't think Clemson would be willing to pay what it would take to get him here (probably something in the $4.5 to $5 million per year range).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: My first choice would be Jay Wright...

Mar 26, 2019, 9:54 AM

Sure, go after a NC winning coach at an elite program. I think Vandy has an equal shot at landing Dabo for their head coach.

Brad salary is roughtly 40% of the entire basketball budget. Wright is something like 25%. They toss more money on non-HC salary at Nova than we spend in total. You would need to spend 5+ million on Wright, and then add at least up the other spending by a good 5-7 million just to compete. Then renovate LJ into a major arena, not a mid-level site.

Nate Oats is likely the best up-and-coming coach but truly, he would be considered by and upper/elite program so slumming it with Clemson is likely out.

So where would we get a coach.

This isn't even in the realm of possibility.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:13 AM [ in reply to My first choice would be Jay Wright... ]

Why would Jay Wright come to Clemson? He has a great gig at Villanova. They are a basketball first school, have a great basketball history, and spend way more on basketball than Clemson does. They have great fan support. He has won a national championship there and has them as one of the best programs in college basketball.

Seriously, why do you think he would come to Clemson, which is considered a bad job by many people with far less history, administrative support, and fan support than he has at Villanova?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

He makes the same $2.5 M salary as Brad Brownell.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:33 AM [ in reply to My first choice would be Jay Wright... ]

and he's 56 years old. He's been at Villanova for 18 years. If he's going to make a change, now is the time to do it.

But, your post and the responses exposes why the Brownell sycophants think it is so important that Tigernet posters provide names of possible coaches and that they should know more than the millionaire that runs our Athletic Department.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He makes the same $2.5 M salary as Brad Brownell.

Mar 26, 2019, 1:01 PM

So Wright would want to go to a program that spends 3.5 million on non-HC salary basketball from a program that is spending 7.5 million... at the height of his career... to go to a lower-mid-level building project. And leave a program that has been fairly loyal to him. Now, he can recruit the kids he wants rather than figure out the kids he settles for.

Providing names is a good what to see if the poster actually follows basketball and has any clue of what is available and willing to plow the hard earth at Clemson. What the fire Brownell keep crowing about that somehow we can flash cash around and get a coach without realizing that our cash is shallow and not competitive.

You know why Bennett left WSU for UVA right? It wasn't the salary, it was the gain in resources (combined with WSU cutting basketball spending).

Re: I am not a HUGE basketball follower but I do keep up...

Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 AM

This, few folks realize that a .500 season and 20 wins is overachieving....

Mar 26, 2019, 10:10 AM

That's the thing. Everyone is quick to push Brad out the door but nobody has an answer for who his replacement would be. Asking Jay Wright to be our Head Coach is utter nonsense and comments like that are just a waste of time.

The thing is, our "fans" want a "get rich quick" solution to our basketball program. Guess what? If you wanted that we should've gotten Will Wade two years. We would've gotten rich real quick and then it would all come crashing down. I like what we got for now.

Hiring a cheater vs. mediocrity are not the only choices.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:24 AM

Dan Radakovich has a contract that will pay him $5 Million over 6 years. He has been in Collegiate AThletic Administration for 26 years. I am hoping he has a better grasp on the situation and inside knowledge of coaching options that posters on Tigernet may not be aware of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 10:43 AM

My personal preference is to give Brad another year or MAYBE two before we run him out of town because, as much as people around here seem to not like to hear it, the program has been as successful as its ever been the last 9 seasons.

HOWEVER, if it's time for a change to try and break through the glass ceiling, then my preferences would be Gregg Marshall (upstate SC guy, phenomenal track record of success) or Shaka Smart (history with the program, still young, great recruiter). Although, I don't exactly know if either would come here. Maybe Shaka if he gets fired by Texas.

I also think I'd take Avery Johnson. I think Bama gave up on him too soon.

Obviously, yeah, Jay Wright would be cool, but as others have said there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. Villanova to Clemson would be a lateral move at best but, if we're being realistic, is a downgrade.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:58 AM

If BB has another down season its time to let him go.10 or 11 years is too long.How about Johnny Dawkins,Avery Johnson, Steve Alford and even Earl Grant. Got get someone that is going to recruit lights out and have a brand of what Clemson basketball should be. I think we're selling ourselves short that we can't be a very good basketball school.A coach that can recruit recruit recruit then we'll really see what happens.

Mar 26, 2019, 10:59 AM

I definitely don't want to go anywhere near Alford.

Earl Grant and Avery Johnson would potentially be good hires, I think.

Mar 26, 2019, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I am not a HUGE basketball follower but I do keep up... ]

tigercat01 said:

My personal preference is to give Brad another year or MAYBE two before we run him out of town because, as much as people around here seem to not like to hear it, the program has been as successful as its ever been the last 9 seasons.

HOWEVER, if it's time for a change to try and break through the glass ceiling, then my preferences would be Gregg Marshall (upstate SC guy, phenomenal track record of success) or Shaka Smart (history with the program, still young, great recruiter). Although, I don't exactly know if either would come here. Maybe Shaka if he gets fired by Texas.

I also think I'd take Avery Johnson. I think Bama gave up on him too soon.

Obviously, yeah, Jay Wright would be cool, but as others have said there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. Villanova to Clemson would be a lateral move at best but, if we're being realistic, is a downgrade.

Do not want the scumbag Gregg Marshall anywhere near Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 1:20 PM

I know his wife has had some unflattering incidents in the past, but I've never heard anything about Marshall that leads me to believe he's a "scumbag". Most of the "issues" he and his wife have had seem to have related to passion for the university and the team. Do you have any personal knowledge that he's not a good guy? Just curious?

Mar 26, 2019, 1:39 PM

I work at Winthrop.

We do not want Marshall anywhere near Clemson. This is all I will say.

Not Happening, but

Mar 26, 2019, 10:58 AM

I'd make contact with Chris Beard at Texas Tech.

Winner multiple places
Winner in Lubbock Texas
In the Sweet 16 after losing 5 of his Top 7 Scorers from last year's Elite 8 Team
Bobby Knight Assistant
Some state of SC experience (just a little)
Clemson is nicer than Lubbock!

Potential problem is he's making more than Brad now.

Will the new ACC/ESPN contract help us out enough to pay extra for an established head coach???

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Shaka Smart, the Liberty Basketball Coach ...

Mar 26, 2019, 11:34 AM

The coach of Radford ... the Wofford Coach ... maybe Charles Barkley ...

Shaka Smart is my first choice ... but really, anybody that is NOT into the "hot potato around the key and throw up a brick in the last seconds of the shot clock" philosophy. I want a take it to the hoop, kick out to the open man get the ball up quick kind of a guy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2019, 1:17 PM

I think we should go after Dikembe Mutombo and when some hotshot recruit like Zion tries to turn him down

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic