Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It would not surprise me if Bama does NOT make the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

It would not surprise me if Bama does NOT make the CFP

Jan 11, 2019, 1:45 AM

next season. TAMU looks pretty good, and between LSU etc they might lose more than 1 game. CLEMSON exposed them plus they lose their only good backup QB. The other SEC teams will be like sharks closing in on the kill once any team beats them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It would not surprise me if Bama does NOT make the CFP

Jan 11, 2019, 5:20 AM

Yea they got copy cat videos I guess?

Bama is still the tallest midget in that room.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:22 AM

They'll be back to the #1 ranking before fall camp if not before next Monday.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama is still the tallest midget in that room.

Jan 11, 2019, 5:34 AM

sec sec sec!

Jan 11, 2019, 5:52 AM

Possibly but I don’t think the SEC has a team capable of exploiting their weaknesses like Clemson can. LSU has proven they can’t score offensively on Bama. Kirby is coach Cline from Waterboy and Jimbo looks like a panhandler. I’m not sure why that last point means he can’t beat Bama but I think it does.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:00 AM

My early picks are Clem uga osu Texas

I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it...

Jan 11, 2019, 6:06 AM

We've been spoiled by BV, but he's got a hell of a job next year to get that defense up to standard, and I don't trust teams that have to rely on their offense never having a bad day to go 12-0 or 11-1.

Honestly Clemson fans should lower their expectations for next year a bit. 10-2, ACC Champs and win a NY6 bowl would be a tremendous season.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it...

Jan 11, 2019, 6:09 AM

We've been spoiled by BV, but he's got a hell of a job next year to get that defense up to standard, and I don't trust teams that have to rely on their offense never having a bad day to go 12-0 or 11-1.

Honestly Clemson fans should lower their expectations for next year a bit. 10-2, ACC Champs and win a NY6 bowl would be a tremendous season.

Oh boy, this thread fixing to get interesting.

Jan 11, 2019, 6:12 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it... ]

Maybe you have missed the last few years but I don’t think anyone is lowering expectations for next years team. Did you miss all the guys playing this year? DT will take a step back but I’m not sure what other position on D will take a step back.

Losing

Jan 11, 2019, 6:19 AM

Cle, Dex, Huggy Bear, Christian, Austin Bryant, Jalen Williams, Tre, JD and Judah, Kendall Joseph, Mark Fields, and Treyvon Mullen.

You don't lose six of your front seven starters and two of your top three CBs PLUS a bunch of experienced, quality depth and just maintain greatness. It ain't that easy. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but there is NO WAY next year's defense will be as good.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Losing

Jan 11, 2019, 6:31 AM

You’re probably correct next years D will not be as good as this one but a good chance no D at CU will ever be as good as this one. That said a lot of talented guys got some experience last year. I don’t expect a huge drop off. Too much talent for that to happen. Not as deep sure but very talented still.

A lot like Alabama's D this year...

Jan 11, 2019, 7:30 AM

how'd that work out when they faced a real offense? TAMU is going to be legit good next year, IMO. Home game or not they get us early before this D will have a chance to figure out who they are, and the lack of depth will likely be exposed as well.

Or maybe a bunch of freshmen play out of their minds and we go back to back. But...that's what happened this year and asking it to happen again is not reasonable fan behavior, IMO. I stand by this, if we go 10-2, win the ACC and the bowl game, I will not complain one bit. Even that is asking a lot, to be honest.

Re: A lot like Alabama's D this year...

Jan 11, 2019, 8:02 AM

Mond had passes going through the arms of defenders all night into the hands of his receivers. The coverage was not as bad as it appeared in that game. I don't see that happening again. Even if it does we would still likely win a track meet. Remember, they have to come here next year. Yes the defense is going to take a step back next year, but it is not like our backups have not had significant playing time this year. Our offense on the other hand only gets better. I won't say that we will go undefeated next year, but there is not a game that I see that worries me either. I will be happy next year with the accomplishments of the team even if they do not meet expectations, but I sure as heck am not lowering mine.

Jan 11, 2019, 7:02 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it... ]

This is also the same narrative that came after Vic and Grady and those guys left, then again after Shaq and Mackenzie and those guys, then again after Deshaun, Mike, Gallman, Leggett etc left.

I think you’d be foolish to not expect some drop off but BV has done this before. Even if the D falls 10 spots (which it’s still very capable of being), we’re not looking at an Oklahoma-esque defensive situation.

Oh no, I'm not saying we'll be incompetent and horrible

Jan 11, 2019, 7:24 AM

which Oklahoma was. We just won't be the force we have been and we won't have the depth we are used to.

Mid 30s is about as low as I could see it get, but with the way our schedule is scrutinized (more than an Alabama, OU or 0SU), one bad game is likely all it takes to get left out. Two and we're definitely out. I wouldn't be shocked if we made it, but I'd be completely unsurprised if we didn't.

And yes, it's the same narrative, but I challenge you to find a year where we have lost THIS amount of talent. It's insane. I see like five should-be first rounders, though NFL GMs like to get cute and some will probably fall to the 2nd. We've never HAD that kind of talent. This team was unbelievably special, not just a link in the chain of great teams, but better than any of them without argument. EXCEPT the '16 team. There's an argument there, but I still think a lot of these are the same guys two years older, and I guarantee they'll tell you today they are better than they were two years ago to a man.

All fair points

Jan 11, 2019, 7:28 AM

But I’d also argue that we’ve never had as much talent waiting to replace all the talent leaving as we will have next year.

The way our schedule sets up, what are the games you’re most worried about? I’d say A&M a clear #1, @ Cuse and then it’s a steep drop off after that. I agree that a 2 loss team gets left out of the CFP barring crazy upsets, but an 11-1 Clemson gets in I believe.

Those are the main two.

Jan 11, 2019, 7:38 AM

But it's the overall identity that I expect will develop. Unbelievable offense, above average but not elite defense.

That's a recipe for a couple of unexpected shootouts. lose one of those and go 50/50 in the tough games, and you're out.

Re: Those are the main two.

Jan 11, 2019, 8:14 AM

I would flip those 2 since we have A&M here and travel to Syracuse. Regardless, those would be unexpected shootouts. I would give us an 80/20 advantage at least in those 2. What is the next scariest game? FSU or USuC? I don't see one loss but things happen. I sure don't see 2.

'Cuse loses Allen and Dungey

Jan 11, 2019, 8:48 AM

We lose more but they also lose a lot. They don't worry me as much as aTm, but the Aggies caught us at a good moment last year. We will have a better idea of what to expect from them in 2019. I like our chances in 2019 and hope for / expect another strong season.

Win or lose, I'm proud of our Tigers.

And yet this is exactly the type challenge

Jan 11, 2019, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Those are the main two. ]

this staff has thrived on. It's why they play so many people. I'm actually excited about it. I want to see who steps up, and we'll have guys step up. Next year's defense doesn't need to be the best in the nation again. But I'd be shocked if we fall from the top 15-20. This is where our player development has outshined everyone in the country, and it will do so again

that’s what i said when Watson left

Jan 11, 2019, 7:28 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it... ]

I was pleasantly surprised to be back in the playoffs last year.

It will all sort itself out

Same. Sugar Bowl was hard to swallow

Jan 11, 2019, 7:39 AM

but when I looked back on it I was quite happy with the year as a whole.

Jan 11, 2019, 7:32 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it... ]

I can’t agree more, I’m not saying we can’t do it but it wouldn’t surprise me if we can’t. I think 2020 we are Champs again though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed on 2020.***

Jan 11, 2019, 7:40 AM

Same was said when jarett, Beasley. And the rest left***

Jan 11, 2019, 7:44 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Considering the seasons we had during my time

Jan 11, 2019, 7:48 AM [ in reply to I wouldn't be surprised if Clemson doesn't make it... ]

at Clemson in the 60's, consistent, winning seasons are a luxury.

That we've won two national titles in three years is a triumph. Thus, I'm happy for what we've accomplished...regardless of future endeavors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d be surprised

Jan 11, 2019, 7:09 AM

Most of their offense coming back, only losing a couple defensive pieces, and they were barely challenged until the SECCG. Let’s not pretend their roster isn’t chock full of 5 stars and they still gained a whole bunch of yards on our defense.

They were a great team this year and they’ll likely still be a great team next year, they just ran into a historically elite team Monday night who was firing on all cylinders.

I don’t see UGA being as good next year, A&M is improving but they’re still a step or two behind, LSU still a bit behind, as is Auburn.

I agree

Jan 11, 2019, 9:00 AM

Bama will be there in 2019 - and will be motivated next year like they were in 2017.

They have too much talent. I think that they were out-coached Monday night more than they were out-played. No one expected their secondary to look lost. I don't think that they (BAMA players and coaches) knew what was coming, and they weren't prepared.

Pardon the comparison, but perhaps they looked at us like we looked at the Cluckers in our last game. Our secondary was consistently out of position. They looked like they didn't know what to do. Of course, we still stuffed the Chickens by three TDs, but they surprised me. Were Bentley & Co. much improved that night or were we unprepared for what they offered? My guess is that they weren't that good. We just got caught flat-footed.

So, I don't think that Bama will miss the playoffs next year. They will be back with a vengeance; however, I will never again see them as Big Bad Bama. The Tigers burst that balloon Monday night.

Agree. They will in all likelihood return to CFP. Just no

Jan 11, 2019, 10:48 AM [ in reply to I’d be surprised ]

others in SEC ready to be the top dog yet.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. No one is scared of the bully anymore.***

Jan 11, 2019, 7:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 11, 2019, 7:50 AM

Bama will be in the playoff next year. A&M will lose 2 games without question, as will LSU.

Jan 11, 2019, 7:59 AM

They’ve pulled in the #1 ranked recruiting class according to 247 composite 8 of the last 9 years man. Until that changes Bama ain’t going no where.

Jan 11, 2019, 8:30 AM

Like us, I don't know if Bama goes into next year thinking that they will be as good as they were this year, but it is because this year is a known and next year is not. I did not start this year thinking that we would have the juggernaut of an offense that we had this year. Next year, our defense will be the unknown and theirs will be as well. However, both teams have shown to be very capable of reloading, and the initial drop off only brings us and Bama back to the pack, not behind it. Personally, I will be surprised if we don't have Clemson/Bama 5 in one of the rounds of the CFP.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic