Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hurrican Hugo / 26 yrs ago today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Hurrican Hugo / 26 yrs ago today

Sep 22, 2015, 11:08 AM
images-4.jpeg(6.4 K)

I will never forget it . Tore the roof off of our Moncks Corner home , uprooted all of our pine trees and pretty much wrecked our lives through about the following Christmas .
How about any of you ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Clemson was relatively spared but I drove up to Gastonia

Sep 22, 2015, 11:17 AM

the next day and could not make it into town for all the downed trees, power lines, light poles and signs.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I was living in the Greenville area at that time before I...

Sep 22, 2015, 11:23 AM

move to Atlanta...Remembered being out late and it was very breezy that evening but no rain. Charlotte got slammed too...It was one hell of a storm for SC and NC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was living in Surfside Beach at the time

Sep 22, 2015, 11:29 AM

Just married and we spent the night at a friends house in Socastee. sounded like shotguns going off all night the way the pines were snapping. that next morning we drove to the beach and it was surreal. One of the most calm and peaceful shores I've ever seen except for the complete havoc for half a mile inland. Luckily our house was spared, had another CU grad and his wife move in with us for a couple of weeks and spent most of that time clearing driveways for older folk. My takeaway to this day is how everyone just pitched in and took care of each other, food drives, clothes drives. I was in the construction business, so it went wide open for a year. Got a new truck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hurrican Hugo / 26 yrs ago today

Sep 22, 2015, 11:37 AM

I lived 2 minutes from that picture and in my house during Hugo. Never again

I was standing on the beach at Kiawah at 5:30 that day.

Sep 22, 2015, 11:42 AM

It was an absolutely gorgeous day and no signs whatsoever of any storm out to sea. As it turned out, Hugo was such a large storm that the outer bands were beyond the horizon and had already swept in behind us from the landward side. When the sky darkened from behind and the wind/rain started, that's when I realized what was happening. My buddy and I were probably the last people on Kiawah that day as the the two guys and two firetrucks were gone when we left. There was nobody at the gate when we arrived. The next day, Kiawah was under martial law do to people coming by boat to ransack. I told the NG guy that if I wanted to steal something, I would have stolen it yesterday. They still wouldn't let us on... governor's orders.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lived in Florence, we were hit pretty bad

Sep 22, 2015, 11:42 AM

I slept through the worst of the storm (my mom insisted on making the night as "normal" as possible for all of us...didn't want us freaking out) but I remember going outside when the wind was really starting to pick up. The next day you could barely get out of my subdivision...trees everywhere. A friend of mine had spent the night and it took him over 2 hours to get home, 4 miles away. Some subdivisions were impassable for several days. Our house was not damaged and our yard was mostly spared, though a few trees did knock down the back fence in places. We were out of school for a week and when we got back everyone had a story. I remember one guy had a house literally split his house in half. My wife can remember hearing multiple tornadoes coming right past her house; they knocked down several trees in her yard (all fell away from the house, fortunately) and just barely missed crushing their family's cars. Florence was an absolute mess for several weeks--got hit roughly as bad as Charlotte.

No power for weeks.***

Sep 22, 2015, 11:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Sep 22, 2015, 11:46 AM

Yet we were still lucky. If the storms makes land a little further south and we get the northern side-Charleston would have had it even worse.

I was 5 months old, but

Sep 22, 2015, 11:49 AM

my parents have told me stories. We were living about half way between Florence and MB in a double wide trailer. My dad decided it would be a great idea to walk out on the porch during the height of the storm. He was pinned against the outside of the house by the wind and couldn't move. Had to wait until the wind died down a little bit so he could scoot along the wall into the house. Later on that night, A friend of mine I graduated HS with was born that night. The ambulance picked her mom up, and my dad along with some other people rode in front of the ambulance cutting trees out of the road until they made it to Florence (about 40 minutes, I believe they said it took 5-6 hours).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Hurrican Hugo I lived in Georgetown,SC

Sep 22, 2015, 11:53 AM

31 days of cold showers. Took me 4 days to carve a path to my front door. Lost everything in the freezer and refrigerator. My neighbors had it rough trees through their homes. I lost 4 shingles because I had cracked the windows in my house so when the barometric pressure dropped it wouldn't blow my windows or roof off. I lived at Belle Isle and soon realized I needed to be on the same power grid as the hospital so I moved in less than a year.
I has sent my wife and children to her mothers in Bamberg and they were spared. My wife and children moved back home after 45 days. I had lost my father that December, so I always thought the Lord spared me anymore hardship.

Sep 22, 2015, 12:03 PM

Lost our house on Pawleys. Found it a mile away on the mainland. Hard to believe it has been 26 years. Feels like yesterday. Hope I never see another one like it

WOW!!! Is that the Ashley Cooper Bridge?

Sep 22, 2015, 12:29 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ben Sawyer bridge, homie.***

Sep 22, 2015, 12:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok..... thanks for clarifying....***

Sep 22, 2015, 1:13 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ben Sawyer going from MtP to Sullivans Island***

Sep 23, 2015, 5:56 AM [ in reply to WOW!!! Is that the Ashley Cooper Bridge? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Ben Sawyer going from MtP to Sullivans Island***

Sep 23, 2015, 7:02 AM

I was 20 yrs old . My neighborhood , and my home in particular backed up to a large beef cattle farm in Moncks Corner between 17-A and Hwy 52 . My backyard had an easement of pines separating that farm and our yard that was about 100 yds thick .
That easement disappeared. Never will I ever forget looking at all those cows looking back at me the morning of the 22nd. It was as if they wanted to say " Man , did you see that wild schitt last night ? " . Lol. What a crazy planet we live on .
My old man had lived thru Hurricane Camille in his hometown of Biloxi in 1969 , so he had the wherewithal to take all of our freezer meats out , thaw em' and smoke em' the day of the 21st . That turned out to be quite a lesson for my brother and I , and we learned that day just how gamefaced our dad was ....dude was on it !
Storm ripped some or all of the roofs off of about 150 homes in our development , trees were decimated and there was litter and debris all over the place . Never forget that 2 asphalt ahingles had penetrated our solid core front door and ended up in our living room .
Found a baby possum that was obviously a little put out by all the events the night of the 21st/morning of the 22nd. Bamed him Fergus , he left his pen about a month later and never wrote home .

DB23

Sep 22, 2015, 12:30 PM

I was a Junior at the Citadel that fall. It was an interesting couple of weeks...

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Sep 22, 2015, 12:39 PM

Lived in Camden as city museum/archives director. My wife and I were nine days from our wedding! I spent the entire day before getting prepared. Camden that night was unforgettable! To many details to post. The next morning the city looked like a war zone! What was a ten minute drive to work took over an hour! Other than the loss of a magnificent tree in front of the museum the institution was spared. Many invited guests could not attend our wedding in the aftermath of Hugo. We will never forget that day and what followed.

It was 26 years ago yesterday actually. Good post,

Sep 22, 2015, 12:34 PM

just a day late.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was 26 years ago yesterday actually. Good post,

Sep 22, 2015, 12:45 PM

Technically no , the storm made landfall at McClellanville just before midnight on the 21st . My home was destroyed 30 miles inland as the crow flies in Moncks Corner , after Hugo mowed down the Francis Marion national forest that lied between the two towns.
All of , or most of the damage from Hugo for most in SC/NC occurred in the early morning hours of Sept. 22nd.

DB23

Tore the roof off our 150yr old Pinopolis home, too

Sep 22, 2015, 12:41 PM

My Grandmother rode it out like a champ!

Sep 22, 2015, 12:47 PM

I was in middle school living in Lancaster at the time. The afternoon the principle came over the intercom and announced school was canceled the next day in honor of his dog's birthday. When we got home of course we learned it was because of the expected hurricane. Everyone thought it was crazy to cancel school being that we were more than 2 2/2 hrs inland it hadn't even made landfall yet. The school systems always screw up closing school for inclement weather but they got it right that time. We didn't go back for a solid month.

Sep 22, 2015, 12:49 PM

I was deployed on the USS West Virginia headed for the Bahamas. We were submerged at 400' and still rocking and rolling. It went right over the top of us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a senior property and casualty claims examiner....

Sep 22, 2015, 1:02 PM

and although I lived in the upstate, spent the next two years of my life on the coast working the thousands upon thousands of insurance claims that resulted.

I had to drive to Moncks Corner the day after the storm to set-up a castrophy office and it took me more than eight hours to get there because of all the downed trees along Interstate 26.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

it was (only figuratively) like 9/11 to many locals

Sep 22, 2015, 1:36 PM

23 feet of water in mclellanville - 18 feet in the lincoln high school auditorium..evacuees had to stand on tables, on the stage and still hold children on their shoulders to keep them out of the water..nightmarish night up there.

destroyed my in-laws home and 100+ years of family photos and genealogical records..they lived on the harbor in mt. p and had 8 feet of water in their house..fascinating thing about the storm surge inside the eye..it was completely flat..my motherin-law had a baby grand piano in her family room, facing the water..that piano was moved 40 feet down the hallway and wound up lodged against the front door..the candelabra still on top and the songbook still open to the last music played at the piano..i had 30" of water in my garage in mt.p..it also wasd a flat line you could put a laser on.

will also never forget armed national guard troops preventing everyone (even homeowners) from getting onto sullivans or iop for a week or more..the jarring sight of them confronting private homeowners and threatening to shoot still shakes me..my wife's family has an old beach house on the southern end of iop, so my sister-in-law and i were allowed on the first legal trip to iop after the storm..they used harbor tour boats that probably carried 150, or so..all on the first boat owned property south of 10th..they docked at iop marina (on the north end of iop) and we all had to walk to the other end of the island..we only had 2 hours - you'd be arrested if you didn't return - so everyone "borrowed" bicycles found strewn around..i remember an iop police car loaded down, carrying 15 or more people nside and on the hood and trunk..it was a loooong walk..

sound of generators 24/7 for 3 weeks..clearing out the freezer and eating all the good stuff before it spoiled..thankful we had gas water heater and stove..

but in the end, i remember people helping people..fine people from everywhere east of the mississippi showing up to help strangers do whatever needed to be done..the owner of the engineering firm i worked for telling us to take whatever time we needed - with pay - to secure our homes and families..it was the best of times..it was the worst of times.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

It certainly tested our resolve....

Sep 22, 2015, 2:19 PM

and we're probably al la little better for it.

While I am a firm believer that which does not kill you will make you stronger, let's hope we never have to re-live it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Sep 22, 2015, 1:22 PM

It uprooted an entire 60 year old pecan tree orchard that my dad had planted with his dad when he was 10 years old. One of my brothers in law made a partial living for several years after that, hauling snapped off pine trees out of the woods on state contracts, to cut down on the potential for forest fires. To this day on Highway 15 outside Holly Hill, SC, you can still see the remnants of snapped off trees in the woods next to the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, I was working shift work at the time, drove home at

Sep 22, 2015, 1:25 PM

midnite in a 60-70 mph wind. Went outside around 2 am when the eye came through Orangeburg. We were relatively unaffected compared to the coast, especially around McClellanville.

my first evacuation

Sep 22, 2015, 1:26 PM

living on HHI at the time...

at the time i was leaving the island, it was supposed to hit HHI...or just below, right at the Savannah River...

from my memory/understanding (both of which could be very fuzzy after all these years) Hugo changed course about one degree and hit north of Charleston instead

HHI got nothing from the storm other than weird tides

there would be other evacuations over the years, but none as scary as that one

If you didn't live down here, you can't explain it....lol

Dec 29, 2021, 10:42 PM

Trees it takes two people to reach around layed down by the thousands.

We cut 5 trees off my parents house.....one branch off an ancient long leaf pine went thru the roof, thru the ceiling and thru the floor.

Another huge long leaf mashed her Olds 98 to the ground....right thru the front seats.

The prettiest clear blue sky ever the next morning.

And I think we ate more shrimp,dove breasts, fish and deer meat the first week or so than we did all year....till we got the generators hooked up.

Our favorite restaurant , The Atlantic House was nothing but about 40 broken off piers when it left.

"Breach inlet" on Folly became THREE breach inlets , after it took the road OUT.

Charleston isn't the only place it hit

Sep 22, 2015, 2:24 PM

In Columbia, my street wasn't even passible for 3 days afterwards from all the trees down. I didn't have power at my house for 10. This is in downtown Columbia, Five Points area. My buddy in West Ashley had power back before I did.

Went to Charlotte a few days after and saw 150 year old oaks uprooted in one of the oldest well-to-do neighborhoods in the city. I had no clue a hurricane could stay so powerful that far inland, but it did.

Also was in Charleston that next week and saw saltwater flood marks on the second floor of a parking garage. Huge pine forests with every tree leveled, some lying north, some lying south, as a tornado path will do. Some truly unbelievable stuff.

Point being, it was devastating to many places other than Charleston. Charleston got most of the publicity (and the bulk of aid). But it destroyed a bunch more than that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was in the eye. Knew it was going to be bad that afternoon

Sep 22, 2015, 3:27 PM

when I saw seagulls over Goose Creek and they were flying further inland. Power was out six weeks. I only had a branch through the roof of my apartment but little water damage until weeks later. Jerks who fixed the damage only put on tar paper and nothing under it. So the next rainstorm I was almost flooded out. So I had worse damage from Hugo repairs then I did from the storm.

Dad ran a lawnmower service and sold some chainsaws while I was using them at his house. Was cutting the tallest tree in the area. We didn't lose any trees, they just weren't standing anymore.

Friend from Charlotte told me that there were people in that area who were without power at about the same length of time as Charleston. Wasn't due to heavy damage but politics and stupidity.

Government was mostly useless the first few days. Fire departments and churches were the heroes those days.

Re: If you didn't live down here, you can't explain it....lol

Sep 23, 2015, 11:19 AM [ in reply to If you didn't live down here, you can't explain it....lol ]

Were you netting the shrimp from inland pools of seawater? I assume the deer and dove were hurricane kill. Am i correct? Were you worried about spoiled meat?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that the bridge where 41 crosses the Wando?***

Sep 22, 2015, 2:07 PM

similar, but nyet..mt p to sullivans***

Sep 22, 2015, 2:10 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

oh yeah..forgot about replacing the roof.

Sep 22, 2015, 2:13 PM

we lost all 12 pines in the yard, but they didn't damage the roof..we had several holes where green pinecones penetrated..also remember pine needles buried horizontally in everything.

GoTiguhs!!

I was in the 7th grade. My mom had to get a new tire about

Sep 22, 2015, 2:26 PM

every other month for a year or two due to construction nails all over the roads there!

It took at least 10 years for my street to start looking nearly like what it used to after all those trees were missing.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Hard to believe it's been that long. I was a scrawny little

Sep 22, 2015, 3:27 PM

Clemson freshman at the time. I remember walking from Johnstone to Hunter Hall for Chemistry lab that next morning and seeing a few branches down, but that was it.

Meanwhile, back in Rock Hill, my family had just experienced the most terrifying night of their lives.

Sep 23, 2015, 12:36 AM

Lived in Sumter then. Still had winds snapping huge trees. We had no power for 10 days, and as I recall our beloved Tigers lost to Duke that week. He who shall not be named was the coach then.

we beat Maryland 31-7 that Saturday.

Sep 23, 2015, 8:16 AM

Danny Ford was the coach in 1989.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: we beat Maryland 31-7 that Saturday.

Sep 23, 2015, 8:30 AM

True. Sorry, meant the week after. I remember having to listen to the game on portable radio since we still didn't have power. And I meant the Duke Coach.

I was a grad student at Clemson studying wind engineering

Sep 23, 2015, 4:53 AM

I learned quite a bit from Hugo. I did a research paper on Hugo.

Devastated as far inland as Rock Hill,

Sep 23, 2015, 5:23 AM

Remember it well. Some folks were without power for weeks.

I was only 12, but my family left Charleston for the safety of Santee. Well,

Sep 23, 2015, 5:42 AM

the roof of the hotel across the street was ripped off. I remember being with my grandmother, terrified, just waiting for the big front glass windows so many hotels have to blow out. Sounded like someone throwing a thousand pebbles a minute at the window, the howling wind.
For 2 years the wind across the window would make my stomach turn.

Now, the next month was a 12yo boys heaven. All those trees to climb and play on, forts to build, No School! Loved how all the neighborhood came together to share in work and joy alike.

Hope to not do anything like that ever again.

null

Sep 23, 2015, 8:09 AM

I was 18. We left our Charleston home to spend the night in Fayetteville with family. It took us 7 hours to get there. The next morning we returned home and when we crossed the Cosgrove bridge and saw the devastation. That was the first and only time I ever saw my Dad cry. He was in real estate. Owned about 50 properties that he rented out around the area.

We couldn't turn left off of Hwy 7. We just had to park and weed through the trees to get to our house. There wasn't too much damage to our home, but we didn't have power for 4 weeks.

One thing I remember is that instead of complaining (not sure if you folks watched the news after Sandy hit up north), we helped our neighbors, we had nightly neighborhood cookouts because we couldn't keep the freezer items cold for very long, we volunteered to collect items for those who were hit hard, we warmed water on the grill so that we could bathe, and we sat around by candlelight at night and thanked our lucky stars that it wasn't worse. I remember working hard during about a 6 week period.

Then it snowed 7 inches later that year on Christmas Eve and shut down the city. It was a strange year.

Sep 23, 2015, 8:14 AM

I was in Charleston for it. Enjoyed the three weeks out of school and ate as well as ever, lots of grilling!

Gave everyone TU.. loved reading your takes.***

Sep 23, 2015, 8:18 AM

null

Bought a house on James Island

Sep 30, 2021, 1:57 PM

three weeks before Hugo. I was sweating it out. House across the street, completely demolished. Could not get into my subdivision, so we took chain saws and cut an arch in the downed trees. Stayed that way for a month. So many stories to tell here.

We got married earlier that year and my wife worked at

Sep 23, 2015, 8:44 AM

Roper Hospital downtown....

There were fish in the first floor halls and lobby.

I can remember the utility trucks from across the southeast coming to help and a few with " Where Hugo, We Go " spray painted on their sides.

I know friends who lived south of McClellanville who climbed into the rafters of the pavilion at the boy scout camp to survive the tidal surge.

The creepiest thing they said was when the cars were floating and seeing the headlights and batteries coming on and shorting out.

The Francis Marion forest was a carpet of trees , all broken off about 10 feet up and layed flat in the same direction.....for miles.

Re: We got married earlier that year and my wife worked at

Sep 23, 2015, 9:03 AM

Had a good friend in Honey Hill ( near Jamestown/McLellanville ) that sat in his broken down pickup truck all night because he didn't wanna stay inside his old doublewide trailer .
Turned out to be a prudent decision . His trailer had one end completely chopped off by a pecan tree that fell on it , and then it flipped over on its side during the second half of the storm .
His truck was his home for a week until I heard he was dealing with it that way and we went out to get him . He and his invalid mother stayed with us a month , until FEMA finally got to that remote area .

DB23

I was in S'burg cutting the grass the day after landfall

Sep 23, 2015, 10:29 AM

weather was crazy. The sun was shining but windy as hell. Lost a tree in the back yard... while I was back there. Scared the crap out of me

I remember the water tasting like pine trees for months on

Sep 23, 2015, 11:49 AM

end. So many of them fell into the reservoir and tributaries.

I was very drunk that night going between Nick's and TTT.

Sep 23, 2015, 1:04 PM

Remember watching part of it on TV in Nick's.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Sep 23, 2015, 1:31 PM

Lived in Mt. Pleasant at the time. Things looked good from the front of the house, trees fell away. Knew I was in trouble when I found a pine cone in the kitchen sink which was located on back wall. Forgot about the pine trees in the back yard falling in the same direction as the trees in the front. Not pretty.

Sep 23, 2015, 1:33 PM

Lost to Duke that weekend. Good thing I didn't have electricity to watch it.

Sep 23, 2015, 1:35 PM

We were living in Atlanta so we were fine but thanks for asking...Seriously, the in-laws had some roof damage here in Cola and their place at Surfside was completely gone. Only the slab was left. They did find the kitchen sink several hundred yards away.

Sep 23, 2015, 1:45 PM

We rode the storm out in Florence.
Lost power at midnight it was back on the next day.
One shingle got blowed off my parents house.
We were lucky because Florence was hit pretty bad.

I was in it three times (trying to run away)

Sep 23, 2015, 2:26 PM

1. Living on a boat at Exuma Island, Bahamas when it hit there;
2. Fled to Charleston, it hit there;
3. Drove inland to Greenville, SC, it hit there.

It was a stronger hurricane than Katrina, but Charleston is not below sea level.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Katrina wasn't an awful storm.. the ignored levees are another story.

Sep 23, 2015, 3:17 PM

I've never understood the media fascination with the storm when the real story (where the real disaster occurred) was when the the levees that were well past due for maintenance and/or reconstruction broke.

I work in Sacramento, a city with a massive levee system per the Army Corp of Eng.. guess what was taken care of within 5 years of Katrina hitting New Orleans?

null

I was far enough west that we had minor damage but

Sep 23, 2015, 2:56 PM

my parents had the eye go over them near Rock Hill and described how the wind ripped metal roofing from their barn and wrapped it around trees. Then the eye arrived and everything was eerily quiet before the wind started from the opposite direction, unwrapping the metal and blowing it around trees the other way. They were w/o power for days. Had plenty of firewood for the next 2 or 3 years.

Was at a house party in Clemson and it was on the TV. A

Sep 23, 2015, 3:31 PM

girl in the room freaked out...saw what was left of her family house on TV.

I was in Bakersfield, Cal. watching in stunned silence

Sep 23, 2015, 4:43 PM

Since I was in the first class out of Wando, every picture of devastation had me trying to figure where exactly it was and who I might know, if they stayed or left.

Of course, a few weeks later, we were getting ready for the World Series at Candlestick when the world turned upside down.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2015, 5:45 PM

I was 4 living in Hunley Park base housing in North Charleston when Hugo hit.. We had sleeping bags in the hallway to keep away from the Windows.. I can still remember my mother walking us around during the eye of the storm.. It was one the most incredibly eerie feelings I've ever experienced..

I was working at the Country Club of Charleston on James..

Sep 23, 2015, 6:13 PM

Island. About 3 in the morning the chimney in the clubhouse cam crashing through the dance floor in the ballroom. The golf course superintendent (Clemson grad), the building maintenance man and his elderly mother were staying in the clubhouse that night because they thought it would be safe....none hurt thank goodness, but lots of excitement. The golf course was covered with about an inch of plus mud and a boat was sitting in the 18th fairway. Every tree on the course was either down or severely damaged!

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic