Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hunter Johnson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Hunter Johnson

Jan 17, 2020, 7:40 AM

Looked up his stats for the season... 50 completions / 108 attempts 432 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT.

Ouch...

The 2017 Syracuse game all of a sudden makes a lot of sense. I hate to say it but I can't believe he was graded as a 5*. Goes to show you some of these guys can't make the transition from HS to College. Hopefully he figures things out and has a good 2020 season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

interesting...

Jan 17, 2020, 7:42 AM

He often looked the best of the crop of QBs that came in with Brice, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the 4 game redshirt rule existed in 2017

Jan 17, 2020, 7:44 AM

Brice could have come into the 'cuse game and saved the day.

Re: Hunter Johnson

Jan 17, 2020, 7:50 AM

He chose a bad Northwestern team, and was hurt most of the season.

I still contend we would have won that game with Hunter as the starter, and Kelly Bryant sitting the game out to get healthy.

Hard to know for sure, but Tennessee might have been the better choice, or even Purdue.

I think our team would have had a better chance

Jan 17, 2020, 7:55 AM

of winning if Hunter was the QB instead of Kelly. He was third string behind Cooper most of the year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think our team would have had a better chance

Jan 17, 2020, 1:34 PM

It has been reported several times that the reason Hunter didn't get more PT in his first year is because he really struggled to grasp the playbook and to read defenses when he got to Clemson.

He wasn't prepared at the high school level for any sort of complex defense and he didn't adjust quickly.

His tools were there and he was a great kid, but if he is still having problems that could explain a little of what happened this season along with his injuries.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson ]

Agree w/ all u said-transfers are at a disadvantage at any pos?smooth transition & success enjoyed by transfer QB's to Oklahoma is not the norm-

Jan 17, 2020, 8:07 AM

He also was dealing with an illness with his Mom. Head wasn't in it this past year.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:41 AM

Absolutely. Not only was Northwestern terrible this year, Hunter actually took time off from football during the season because his Mom's cancer came back and was going through treatment. Some things in life are more important than football, no matter who you are.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 9:43 AM

Yes. Really tough year for Hunter. To make a transition from Clemson to Northwestern and then have to watch his mom suffer.....not easy and not good. And it appears as though the Wildcats just were not very good, regardless who the qb was.

Didn't know that. Had to be weighing on his mind heavily***

Jan 17, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson ]

In retrospect, it appears Chase Brice was better choice if

Jan 17, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Hunter Johnson ]

... if we needed to pull Kelly Bryant.

But, maybe he was just a year away from having the moxie to play the hero vs Syracuse.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I watched a Northwestern game early in the season -

Jan 17, 2020, 9:48 AM

I remember thinking on many of his incompletions - "A Clemson receiver would have caught that..."

Add in his Mom's health issues - it was going to be a tough season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish him well....

Jan 17, 2020, 9:52 AM

Personal life issue, not a great team - but he should be getting a NW degree, which face it, has pretty good cache where he is from and nationally - good for him.

He had a really bad offensive line this year

Jan 17, 2020, 10:13 AM

plus he had injuries himself as well as health issues with his mom.

He's a talented QB and I think his skill set is much better than Zerrick Cooper's. I still think it was a bad decision by our coaches to play Zerrick over Hunter in that Syracuse game (just as it was a mistake to play Kelly Bryant with obvious injuries).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 17, 2020, 11:48 AM

Wasn’t he injured for a lot of this season?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jan 17, 2020, 1:29 PM

I watched most of the NW games that were on tv. They had a terrible offensive line and HJ was sacked many times, hurried most of the time, and the team was overall bad. I was surprised he transferred there, but it was closer to home. Had he been with a better team, he would have done much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic