Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How long until beer sales are a thing at Death Valley?***
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 4,401

How long until beer sales are a thing at Death Valley?***

Sep 21, 2017, 10:42 AM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How long until beer sales are a thing at Death Valley?***

Sep 21, 2017, 10:43 AM

Hopefully never.

Sep 21, 2017, 10:49 AM

^ THIS!! You want beer, have it outside. Last thing we need is a bunch over overly drunk people that never stop and start fights. Game time is a good time to sober up.

Sep 21, 2017, 11:00 AM

I don't particularly want it either. I was just asking the question. It's a pretty big potential revenue source...too big to ignore forever? That's what I'm wondering.

Sep 21, 2017, 1:23 PM

Rather see $20 soft drinks than drunks in the stands. Would hate to see fans on the field after the game stopped due to falling down drunks.

Do away with passouts also.***

Sep 21, 2017, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Re: How long until beer sales are a thing at Death Valley?*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This?????***

Sep 21, 2017, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: How long until beer sales are a thing at Death Valley?*** ]

Hopefully it NEVER happens***

Sep 21, 2017, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That should NEVER happen

Sep 21, 2017, 10:45 AM

One of the things the makes Clemson special is it's family type feel on gameday. You can bring your kids without things getting too out of hand. Bring alcohol sales inside the stadium, and that changes dramatically.

It doesn't have to happen.

Sep 21, 2017, 10:47 AM

We just need to keep spending our money wisely and live on what we have. To date it seems we've done nicely with our spending.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

add sales in the stadium and many will not feel the need

Sep 21, 2017, 11:01 AM [ in reply to That should NEVER happen ]

to go overboard before the game as much

Sure they will...

Sep 21, 2017, 11:06 AM

Why pay $8.00 for a beer in the stadium when you can get a twelve pack for that same price to drink before and/or after the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That should NEVER happen

Sep 21, 2017, 11:38 AM [ in reply to That should NEVER happen ]

Totally illogical argument. Stop with the slippery slope. The beers would be crazy over priced, my guess would be over $10.

At the numerous bowl games I've been to, they've all served beer and have never seen anything like what you are suggesting. Its not even true. The same argument was used to defend prohibition and looked how that worked out.

Plus, if people want to be belligerent and intoxicated, they will do it regardless. People, including myself, sneak in drinks every single game. I hide a flask of scotch in my boot. I earn a nice buzz but I never have problems, I also dont act belligerent and I am friendly to the people around me.

There is no substantial or rational argument you can make to reject selling beer at a game. You sound like a paranoid soccer mom that is angry that people dont want to drive 15 under the speed limit while they drive behind your minivan.

Well, you are talking about selling beer where

Sep 21, 2017, 11:52 AM

at least 40 % of the people in the crowd are not old enough to buy/drink it. That is your first problem.

More importantly, you would be selling this beer at an event sponsored by a state university, on that same University's property.

Are there any state funded universities anywhere across the country selling beer at their on campus stadiums???

My guess is the answer to that question is a resounding no.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WVU comes to mind***

Sep 21, 2017, 11:54 AM

Got a link that verifies this and that it meets

Sep 21, 2017, 12:23 PM

all the criteria I listed?

Re: Got a link that verifies this and that it meets

Sep 21, 2017, 12:29 PM

http://www.wtae.com/article/wvu-drinking-policies-at-games-working-officials-say/7475447

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got a link that verifies this and that it meets

Sep 21, 2017, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Got a link that verifies this and that it meets ]

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/beer-map-shows-trend-stadiums-selling-beer/

34 total; 23 on-campus stadiums***

Sep 21, 2017, 12:31 PM

and that is 2 years old; CITADEL now selling beer at games

Sep 21, 2017, 12:35 PM

http://www.postandcourier.com/sports/the-citadel-will-sell-beer-at-football-games-for-the/article_28327094-8776-11e7-b63a-6fe3d29fe149.html

Not a lot of Power 5 schools on that list. UL, Syracuse, and

Sep 21, 2017, 12:49 PM

UM from the ACC.

Not a good idea for Clemson. It is definitely more popular at urban Universities, and the majority on that list are not The Who's Who of college football, only a handful are heavy weighs.

The rest are trying to get people to show up for the games.

Ohio State and Texas not big enough for ya?

Sep 21, 2017, 12:53 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/12/05/beer-sales-exceed-1m-in-first-year-at-ohio-stadium.html

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/06/texas-football-alcohol-sales-miller-lite/

Did I say big? No, I said a lot. There are not A LOT of

Sep 21, 2017, 1:00 PM

Power 5 schools on the list.I saw that Texas was on there too.

Shoot, I managed the biggest bar in Clemson in the early 80's (Bollwinkles). I'm not against drinking, I just think it is a bad idea for on campus college football stadiums to sell beer. Nothing good will come from it. Shoot, I just read where some "lost" money selling beer.

the SEC bans it as a conference, so that's why those don't

Sep 21, 2017, 1:19 PM

7 ACC schools do it, and FSU sells it at baseball & basketball games.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/college-notebook-bc-latest-acc-school-to-offer-beer-wine/article_9322c2de-3f0f-50a2-9a0b-b74209d1fd64.html

Boston College has become the seventh ACC athletic program to approve the sale of wine and beer at sporting events.

Schools that had made the move earlier were Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Wake Forest.

Various restrictions are in place, with Miami and Pittsburgh only allowing alcohol sales at the NFL stadiums where they play their home football games.

Syracuse has been selling alcohol since the early 1980s at the Carrier Dome, the indoor facility that has been the Orange’s football and basketball home.

Florida State approved the sale of beer at baseball games prior to the 2016 season. Beer also is served at FSU basketball games because the Seminoles play at an off-campus arena.

At Florida State and some other ACC football venues, beer is available in suites, club seats or other premium areas.

Wake Forest began selling beer at concession stands last fall at BB&T Field.

WVU sells beer at both its football and basketball games...

Sep 21, 2017, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Got a link that verifies this and that it meets ]

but I'm not sure if either venue is actually on campus.

https://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/6/3/2204836/west-virginia-beer-sales-approved-vote-rules

Re: Well, you are talking about selling beer where

Sep 21, 2017, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Well, you are talking about selling beer where ]

There are actually several across the country, and SC state law says that universities are allowed to sell alcohol at extra curricular events, otherwise frats wouldn't be able to have mixers and

Furthermore, universities in SC are allowed to serve alcohol to students who are underage if the consumption is relevant to a particular academic course.

it's inevitable, the $$$ is "pouring" in

Sep 21, 2017, 12:51 PM

heck, universities are getting official sponsors and craft-brews named after the schools now.

- On July 26, the University of Houston named Bud Light its official beer, making it available for sale during athletic events. And the beer’s parent company, Anheuser-Busch, has the rights to use elements of the university’s brand in its marketing.
- The University of Texas-Austin announced a similar partnership with Corona in July, the first for that beer company with a university. The campaign — taglined “Horns up, Limes In!” — will include a special “Corona Beach House” tailgate area located near the university’s football stadium, where fans can take photos with Corona’s “iconic” Adirondack chair, the company said.
- Like Tulane, Louisiana State University and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette have both made branded beer deals with breweries in recent years.

The alcohol industry news site VinePair reported in 2015 that 34 college stadiums allowed the sale of alcohol, a figure that doubled over the previous six years. Currently, the SEC restricts alcohol sales in stadiums, but the Tuscaloosa News reported in April that those rules might be relaxed.

And these sales can mean big money. Ohio State reportedly made over $1.1 million in alcohol sales in the 2016 season, its first season of selling alcohol in the stadium. UT Austin brought in over $3.3 million last fall from stadium sales, a 70% jump over the previous football season.

http://college.usatoday.com/2017/08/09/college-football-beer/

Welcome to the Bud Light Pavilion at Clemson University

Sep 21, 2017, 12:54 PM

No thanks !!!

But alas, as you said, it's probably inevitable.

Don't want it!***

Sep 21, 2017, 10:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I'm fine as long as they keep it in cans so it doesn't spill

Sep 21, 2017, 10:45 AM

I hate how they often pour it into cups at sporting events. Makes no sense and spills very easily.

A the Lousiville game this past Saturday....

Sep 21, 2017, 10:52 AM

a guy sitting a few rows in front of me, who had clearly been over-served, was standing-up holding a full cup of beer. As he celebrated a good play, he poured quite a bit of his beer right down the back of the lady sitting in front of him. Fortunately the lady was nice about it but I'd just as soon not see that in Clemson.

Agreed. I'd rather not, but at least keep it in cans.

Sep 21, 2017, 11:22 AM

The cup thing is really dumb.

Sep 21, 2017, 10:47 AM

When the chickens win a football Natty-ie never.

hopefully never

Sep 21, 2017, 11:00 AM

...and this is coming from a 27 year old

Re: beer sales in Death Valley? New Bud Light commercial

Sep 21, 2017, 11:10 AM

havent we all been at a funeral and wished a beer vendor would show up like that? Come on Tnet- you know you have. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never....that'll mark the end of pass-outs.

Sep 21, 2017, 11:14 AM

And if I wanted to be held captive in a stadium and forced to buy overpriced beer, I'd go to an NFL game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or literally any other sporting event but Clemson football.

Sep 21, 2017, 11:26 AM

It's pretty crazy that Clemson still allows people to come and go from a football game.

I appreciate that they do it, but it's the only venue that allows it. You can't even leave and return to a Clemson basketball game.

Isn't Beer a baseball guy?***

Sep 21, 2017, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2017, 12:44 PM

Until it's sold? Uh, guessing I wasn't supposed to buy it from the entrepreneur selling water...

They would need to install nets to keep drunkards from

Sep 21, 2017, 12:56 PM

falling out of the upper decks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right after we relocate the stadium to Cootlumbia***

Sep 21, 2017, 1:23 PM

Re: Right after we relocate the stadium to Cootlumbia***

Sep 21, 2017, 1:43 PM

I'd be fine with it, but I wouldn't want to half-time re-entry option taken away.

As far as family atmosphere or "there would be drunk people everywhere!" statements. . .please.

At my daughter's first Clemson game, a screaming drunk lady projectile vomited some fruity smelling high-test all over the bathroom door as my daughter was walking toward it.
My little son for some reason liked collecting orange plastic cups after games. Had to tell him no when he was filling them with copious empty mini-bottles he also found everywhere.
Please don't think people are so naive to think that the stuff in plastic cups all over tailgates is koolaide.

It's the deep south, it's football. To act like there's not an abundance of slobberin' drunks around Memorial is either hypocritical or blind.

Selling beer wouldn't make it more or less pronounced.

Replies: 41
| visibility 4,401
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic