Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Healthcare question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 493

Healthcare question

Jan 14, 2021, 2:32 PM

I don't know as much about healthcare dynamics as I should, but...

shouldn't all US citizens have access to healthcare? Similar to every citizen having the right to police protection, access to education, and others. I would assume you can still have private healthcare.

I have no problem paying something extra to provide that, just like we do with other services.

I just assumed that was the humane thing to do as a civilization.

I know there is always been pushback from the right, but I just want to learn more about that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone DOES have access to healthcare

Jan 14, 2021, 2:40 PM

Go to an ER and they will treat every single sick human being who goes.

And we do pay. There are non-payers who are just broke (most are on medicaid, and/or qualify for it). Then there are people with health insurance. Then there are payers who pay the full amount. The hospitals offset the low medicaid/care payments, and the non-payers, by charging insurance companies and those with insurance more, and then more even for full payers. Then you pay your taxes and that fills in the medicare/aid part.

Not an ideal system, but it works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ What he said***

Jan 14, 2021, 2:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

How does it work for someone without insurance

Jan 14, 2021, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Everyone DOES have access to healthcare ]

gets a cancer diagnosis (or another serious condition)? Would they, or even someone with Medicaid/care, receive the same level of care as someone with private insurance? A lot of conflicting info out there...and I’m not baiting you...honestly just throwing this out there for discussion.

Re: How does it work for someone without insurance

Jan 14, 2021, 8:15 PM

A few things that could be done about healthcare without breaking the country and to maintain quality of care. 1) For people under a certain income level and certain asset level, the tax payers will pay for medical expenses. Related to this there would be clinics that would treat low income people for basic needs (colds, resp infections, flu shots, etc). The government would pay for your medical school if you commit to working at one of these clinics for so many years for xx amount of dollars (which would be less than what you would normally make as a general practitioner). Patients would be referred out of the clinic for more serious medical issues. 2) Middle Income people will need to buy insurance. If your insurance doesn't completely cover a procedure that would wipe you out financially, then based on your income and non retirement assets you would qualify for some to most of your bill being paid for by tax payers. 3) If you are wealthy, then you can go the insurance route or self insure.
That's pretty simplistic, but some of my thoughts on healthcare.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How does it work for someone without insurance

Jan 14, 2021, 9:10 PM

That’s pretty much what we have now except for the govt picking up a catastrophic cost for the middle class.

Re: Everyone DOES have access to healthcare

Jan 14, 2021, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Everyone DOES have access to healthcare ]

Tiggety,

not ideal is a bit of an understatement.

Dozens of other industrialized countries provide better healthcare for their people and at less expense.

Re: Everyone DOES have access to healthcare

Jan 14, 2021, 9:08 PM

Yeah, tiny little countries who have a culture of not being obese. Far less bureaucracy because of the size and much less expensive because the people are smarter than Americans in this area.

Re: Healthcare question

Jan 14, 2021, 5:47 PM

Nope TD,

You are spot on. There are some complex issues to be discussed as to how to get from where we are to where we should be, but the essence is just as you have stated. In a truly civilized country, everyone should have adequate public healthcare. Dozens of other industrialized countries manage to do it - with less expense and better results.

Jan 14, 2021, 9:02 PM

What happens is that if you don't have insurance, you can get denied access to diagnostic tests, which can cause you to die if a serious illness does not get diagnosed in time.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2021, 9:18 PM

Yes, but the fear of dying should motivate the individual to quit being a leech on society and take care of themselves and not make me pay for it.

Jan 14, 2021, 9:16 PM

This question "shouldn't all US citizens have access to healthcare" is a philosophical issue.

One point of view asks why stop at health care? Shouldn't all citizens have an iPhone (with unlimited data) and 3 meals/day? How about a home with heat and AC? Or maybe a home where each person has their own bathroom - wouldn't that be nice? Do you want to deny citizens the benefit of bathing and dressing in privacy?

The more the country gives to people, the less the people are interested in doing for themselves. The USA has already gone way too far in freebies. There are entire generations of citizens who have never had a job - they live 100% off the government. And their kids will - and their kids will. The way this cycle of dependence happens is by using the logic and rationale that led you to ask the question above.

I like the philosophy that says...get your a$$ to school, don't #### up, don't do drugs, do your homework, graduate, enter the workforce, be responsible, and get a job that provides insurance.

Make the system encourage individual responsibility instead of the opposite.

Replies: 11
| visibility 493
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic