Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How does Etienne stack up against all time great RBs?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

How does Etienne stack up against all time great RBs?

Oct 12, 2020, 10:58 AM

I'm not suggesting he's the "best RB in college football history". But, I'm also not suggesting that he's not. He's in the conversation.

Etienne is a freak, and I really think he's the best player we've had at Clemson (unless TL comes back for a 4th season). If you take away the importance of the QB position, I think he's the best ever at Clemson.

These stats were before the Miami game. Imagine if he carried the ball more in the 4th quarter when defenses are gassed. Imagine if he played in a more run oriented approach.

Thank you to Cordarrien Richardson for being a "dumb@ss " so that we accidentally recruited ETN at the last minute. Thank you to Burton Burns for telling us about him.

https://twitter.com/WDonaldMunson/status/1313629216441851905

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Ever.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:02 AM

No doubt.

Re: How does Etienne stack up against all time great RBs?

Oct 12, 2020, 11:04 AM

1st - Those numbers are eye-opening.

2nd - Don't make Richardson the "dumb@$$". His high school was falsifying grades for athletes and we didn't want to be involved. It was my understanding that he had no knowledge. He clearly still qualified for NCAA eligibility because he signed and was eligible to play upon arrival.

I am still happy it happened and we got ETN, but don't put it on the kid.

3rd - Let's allow Travis to play his last snap here before we try to make his place in history. Who knows what is to come in his remaining games. There is certainly a discussion to be had though.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:07 AM

I believe it, as others here do. No surprise there. But one thing I think he needs to do (so that more people see and hear the story) is for him to take over and run wild in a CFP game.

I personally don't think he needs to, but if he does then he gets all the pub and media stories to paint that picture.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 11:12 AM

He stacks up there with the best of them!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 11:19 AM

ETN no doubt!

He deserves the Heisman as much as TL. Dude is awesome.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:33 AM

He always ran hard, but this season he runs violently, he punishes tacklers. He is the total package, speed, vision, patience, balance, strength, good hands, capable blocker. He may not be as shifty but he doesn't need to be.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:35 AM

Conversations over the greatest ever are always debatable, especially when comparing different eras. I'll say this much though, I can't think of a single player that I'd replace him with where I'd feel confident that my team was getting an upgrade.

I was a huge fan of CJ Spiller, and Spiller might be the only other Clemson running back that compares and perhaps even beats ETN when it comes to being a homerun threat. However, I've never seen a running back have such a great combination of speed, power, balance, reading blocks, finding holes, keeping his legs moving, running forward, and being a threat to score each time he touches the ball. He's now becoming a huge factor in the receiving game which really makes things unfair.

Spiller was great in the return game, but I actually think ETN would be dangerous doing that as well if given the chance. I think he only doesn't do it for us because we don't need that spark as much as we did during Spiller's time here so it's simply not worth tiring him out and risking injury.

Oct 12, 2020, 12:59 PM

As much as I love some of the running backs of the past, Travis would be my choice if I were building a team and program. It wasn't that long ago that I was wishing we had a All-American caliber running back, and now, here we are.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

IMO, Etienne is the best football player Clemson has

Oct 12, 2020, 1:01 PM

ever had.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: IMO, Etienne is the best football player Clemson has

Oct 12, 2020, 4:15 PM

To me personally, he is there with CJ as one of my favorites, but CJ's speed was off the chain fast!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 1:10 PM

I think Herschel is ETN only true competition of that group. Just from a individual to rest of the country gap.

Hover there are a few folks missing from that comparison. Dorsett is an obvious one. Ricky Williams is another. Tomlinson was epic out of TCU I think Wisconsin or Minnisota has someone in the late 90s that is the all time rushing leader and then they had Jonathon Taylor too. But then again, ETN has had to get the yards with a effective passing game... which would make it harder or easier depending on perspective.

Oct 12, 2020, 4:30 PM

Probably thinking of Ron Dayne but he was no TE in my opinion.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2020, 4:23 PM

Best running back in Clemson history? Check

Best football player in Clemson history? Hard to say but certainly top two or three

Best running back in the nation? Check

Best running back in college football history? Definitely in the discussion

Jonathan Taylor is sitting at over 6000 yards after 3 years.

Oct 12, 2020, 4:42 PM

I imagine he'll get to top of the career list passing Ron Dayne at 7125. Travis should get to at least 5100, which would pass George Rogers and get him to #20 all time. If he averages 100 yards a game and we go back to the CFP championship game, he'll get to 5400 and pass LT for #13. I think #8 is not out of the question, needing 5622 to do that. Would have to pass 6000 to move any more, which would mean significantly more yards than the 1600-ish he's put up each of the last 2 years.

Best ever at Clemson and ACC, absolutely. Best nationally? I would say in the discussion given other measures like receiving, blocking, and yards per carry. LOVE that we can have this discussion!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic