Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How does Bama sign 25 players every year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,644

How does Bama sign 25 players every year?

Jan 3, 2017, 11:05 AM

I went to Rivals and it appears Alabama signs at least this many every year? Cu doesn't do that. Has CU ever recruited 25 players in multiple years? Someone explain if you know the answer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the $EC way....

Jan 3, 2017, 11:07 AM

sign as many as you can every year and then send the ones packing who don't work out as expected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

They have a lot more attrition and probably more JRs

leaving for the NFL every year although we are starting to catch up in that regard.

players leave so they can sign 25 and stay under the 85

limit

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is the SEC sign and cut routine...happens every year

Jan 3, 2017, 11:08 AM

Also, the difference in place like Clemson, we sign what the team needs, and don't lose a lot of players. We have 2 or 3 every year, but compared to some of the SEC schools that cut players, lose players transferring for playing time (minus QBs, they get the ACC rejects for those most of the time), and failing due to "fit" issues we don't normally lose a lot to attrition (I don't count the NFL as attrition, that's just the nature of the beast these days with our success).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How does Bama sign 25 players every year?

Jan 3, 2017, 11:09 AM

All I know is that the sec allows for a max of 25 players. I know they all cull through the herd and rid themselves of those who don't perform. It's just business, imo. It is taking the lives of 18-20 year olds and merchandizing them to the fullest extent of economic principles. Sounds kinda hard when you put it that way, don't it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

higher attrition rate-- keep in mind 85 schollies and a

Jan 3, 2017, 11:32 AM

perfectly balanced system/0 attrition would lead to an avg of 17-21 schollies per year depending on redshirting philosophy- no where near 25. 85/4 is 21.25. 85/5 is 17(5 different recruiting classes when you redshirt).

there are various reasons for attrition-- grades/eligibility when signed, discipline, forced transfers, nfl entry, playing time-- the first 3 we basically eliminate with the scouting we do upfront and really don't have many transfer on playing time(maybe 1 a year possibly 2). Most SEC teams don't put as much into the front end identification and have no issue washing players out/taking chances. Bama is better than most in the SEC though as their status gives them the ability to be more selective than say a Ole Miss, Ark, UT or Coots so my guess is the majority of their attrition is NFL related and possibly playing time.

We have averaged 24 a year the last 5 years.***

Jan 3, 2017, 11:12 AM

I don't think that happens in 2017 or 2018

Jan 3, 2017, 11:14 AM

barring some unforeseen departures of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 3, 2017, 11:20 AM

Sh sh!...$$$, gift, auto, hooker...keep their secret

Jan 3, 2017, 11:24 AM

The Coots do the same thing. They carry on about how "young" they are, and yet they hand out schollies like Santa throwing candy at the Christmas Parade.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol. The good old the other team cheats narrative.***

Jan 3, 2017, 11:33 AM

Who said they cheat? I didn't. It isn't considered cheatin

Jan 3, 2017, 11:44 AM

in the SEC. My point was Clemson identifies the potential problem students, and backs off of them. Sometimes that is later in the game that most like, but I look at Richardson as a possible casualty in that regard. I hope the kid gets into college somewhere and has a stellar year (as long as we don't have to play him), but I'm assuming his grades thing/potential illegal participation deal put up a red flag and we backed off of him. I that Mckinney was a casualty too.

I read somewhere, hyperbole or whatever it may have been, that he would have had to take more classes in the spring to get in at Clemson, but he can get into Alabama as an early enrolle. I have no idea if that is true about either of them, but it is what is being said. Clemson keeps the kids they bring in for the most part...as long as they don't cause trouble, and isn't a cancer to the team. Some teams don't.

They Then SCREW OVER 7-8 / Year After They Get Them

Jan 3, 2017, 11:38 AM

If you are a High 3 Star or Low 4 Star Bama will cut you lose if you don't fill their need.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many times those guys really do choose to transfer

Jan 3, 2017, 11:46 AM

because they want to see the field. It's not always Bama or whoever sending them packing.

These kids want to play because they are typically highly recruited and dream about NFL. Hard to do from the sideline.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,644
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic