Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Field goal kicker.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 3,343

Field goal kicker.

Oct 16, 2017, 5:59 PM

Does it have to be groomes or Spence to kick feild goals. Couldn’t they let the entire team kick in practice and go with whoever is better. Even if it’s a defensive end or wide receiver. I mean who knows one of these guys may have a great leg.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Field goal kicker.

Oct 16, 2017, 6:35 PM

Dabo joked that he found Hugel in the Bilo parking lot, so why not?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4DKSFRGgbeJNVNzT3lVdDJXWTg/view?usp=sharing

Oct 16, 2017, 6:35 PM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4DKSFRGgbeJNVNzT3lVdDJXWTg/view?usp=sharing

Oct 16, 2017, 6:49 PM

Go raid a soccer player.

We need another Ekwebekwe

Oct 16, 2017, 7:40 PM

I know my spelling isn't even close, but a soccer player who has kicked penalty kicks in clutch situations who doesn't care about American football might be a possibility, as the pressure may be similar in their mind (even if college football far outweighs their past experience in reality).

How do you have tryouts in game like conditions?

Oct 16, 2017, 7:37 PM

The problem with open tryouts is that is not necessarily how they perform in a game, especially on prime time national television with a championship season on the line.

I don't know the answer to this question, but how is Spence performing in practice?

I practiced kicking a lot during high school and college and even had some on the team wanting me to try out while at Clemson. The kickers allowed me to come out and try kicking with them with just someone snapping the ball and while I made them, it was a totally different feeling and didn't feel near as smooth. I can't even imagine having a full defensive rush, fans and classmates filling the stands, and the pressure of your school's championship run all on your shoulders.

Kicking is very much like hitting a golf ball, where it can feel perfect one second and the least bit of overthinking can cause everything to get off. So much of having to apply the opposite of what would seem to fix it. Pushes, pulls, hooks, fades, draws, slices, catching the ground first, off the toe. The biggest difference is you don't have all the time in the world, the ball isn't sitting still the whole time, nor do you get to place it down just how you like it.

I think just flat out abandoning the kicking game would make more sense than looking for a replacement mid-season from outside the team. Tommy Bowden did it a couple times and it actually worked out many times in our favor. Something about knowing fourth down doesn't mean settling for a field goal can wreak havoc on a defensive coordinator.

I feel Spence's pain and hope he can find his way into good mental vibes. We definitely need him.

State of Mind

Oct 16, 2017, 7:49 PM

Most kickers have the leg to make 40 to 45 yard kicks all the time. Only a select few have the God given ability to mentally block out everything around them and totally concentrate on what is required to make a kick when it is show time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 3,343
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic