Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How do we know how good the B10 is - and by extension how good Ohio State is?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

How do we know how good the B10 is - and by extension how good Ohio State is?

Dec 10, 2019, 3:36 PM

The B10 played a total of 7 power 5 out of conference teams and 6 of their teams, including Ohio State played no out of conference power 5.
Add to that, the teams they played were:
Vanderbilt, Colorado, Stanford, BC, Arizona State, Syracuse and Notre Dame. Worse, they only won 3 of those.
The ACC is viewed as a comparatively bad conference because our teams beat up each other and list key out of conference games. But the ACC played 17 out of conference power 5 teams - 12 not counting Notre Dame. And the ACC scheduled teams like UGA, Florida and TAMU.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do we know how good the B10 is - and by extension how good Ohio State is?

Dec 10, 2019, 3:39 PM

And if Nardouchey wasn't incompetent Pitt could have very well beat Penn St. Fields threw for less than 200 yards against penn state.

The more I look into this game the more confident I get

Because sports talk says they good***

Dec 10, 2019, 3:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do we know how good the B10 is - and by extension how good Ohio State is?

Dec 10, 2019, 3:50 PM

Ohio st. Is overrated. Been saying it all year. Badly overrated.

Ohio State and Notre Dame are always good...

Dec 10, 2019, 3:51 PM

until the play a team from the south

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Accidentally left PSU out

Dec 10, 2019, 3:54 PM

So the B10 played 8 power 5 out of conference and won 1/2 of them.
My mental slip was probably due to Pitt totally blowing the game with PSU.

Overall, I know that the B10 is better than the ACC

Dec 10, 2019, 4:04 PM

We will still beat tOSU by double digits. I wouldn't call tOSU "battle tested", but they've played three teams that are superior to anyone we have played. Yes, I'm using the eye test. That is how I roll.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2019, 4:12 PM

How can we be upset when others say Clemson isn’t good because of our conference then turn around and say the same thing about another team because of the conference they are in?

which station is saying the ACC is amazing?

Dec 10, 2019, 4:16 PM

I'll turn it there.

Re: which station is saying the ACC is amazing?

Dec 10, 2019, 4:20 PM

I don’t think I said that. What I ment was judging a team by their conference is misleading.

well yeah....

Dec 10, 2019, 4:23 PM

I know you didn't say that.

My statement is just demonstrating WHY we would make comments about the Big10 because we are being told how great they are.

I'm not judging a team by their conference, the "experts" do that.

Good Question!

Dec 10, 2019, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: which station is saying the ACC is amazing? ]

We can ask the question based on the fact Ohio State isn't this overwhelming favorite to beat Clemson and Clemson has played in the presumed "weaker conference"!

Michigan and Penn State along with Ohio State will get ranked every year no matter what they do. No matter what they did the year prior. No matter how many starters they have coming back. None of that matter because politics come into play! So, with that in mind, when you say the Big 10 had more ranked opponents - sure they did. Per OP comments though they were .500 against the middle of other conferences teams opposed to Alabama playing Duke. FSU playing Florida. GT playing Georgia. All the uper echelon of that conference. Stanford in most years is a good test; but they were terrible. BC, Cuse, Pitt - meh. Cuse was bad this year! Pitt blew the game against Penn St no question.

I don't think anyone is discounting them so much as asking the question. They likely are saying the same thing about Clemson. But, we have proven to be just as good against the so called cream of the crop as we have against the ACC. Has Ohio St? I recall Baker Mayfield planting the Oklahoma flag right in the middle of the field at "the shoe"!
OSU did beat them the year prior; but was Oklahoma a contender then?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think he's saying what's good for the goose is good for

Dec 10, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: How do we know how good the B10 is - and by extension how good Ohio State is? ]

the gander

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i think he's saying what's good for the goose is good for

Dec 10, 2019, 4:47 PM

RC Tiger® said:

the gander

Yep! And answered.

What besides help the SEC-hype machine has Big 10 schools that leads anyone to believe it's a top tier conference? Nobody except Ohio State has made a serious run for the National Title since Michigan in 1997. Since then "CURRENT ACC SCHOOLS" VT(2000), Miami(01 & 03), FSU(multiple times including 2013 defeating Auburn), Clemson(15, 16, 17, 18, 19) have either played for it or won it!
Also, the reputation for being slow was earned in large part during bowl season! Not my words and I am not the writer of that narrative. But, it's out there! Big 10 schools much like SEC schools get a pass b/c of their "perceived" strength of schedule. The actual data tells a different story!

I'm not really making a point as much as pointing out an

Dec 10, 2019, 4:47 PM [ in reply to i think he's saying what's good for the goose is good for ]

known. All the experts say the ACC sucks so our wins are questionable.

But when a conference plays very few power 5 teams out of conference against middling ones at that, how do you know how good the conference (and therefore the competition) really is?

Re: I'm not really making a point as much as pointing out an

Dec 10, 2019, 5:36 PM

The eye test! The "eye test" called Alabama last year the greatest college football team ever to put on a uniform as a team. How did that turn out for them.

Keeping that in mind. You asked a great question. You play and beat bottom tier P5 teams "if" you play P5 teams. But, mostly you play G5 teams. You feed off them and boost your OOC record as a result. Great!
BTW, I wonder if the Big 10 schools schedule very few FCS opponents because there aren't that many in that part of the country? Where as in the South we have plenty. Just in SC we have Furman, Wofford, SCSU and Charleston Southern!

Any who - you give credit where it is due. Ohio State has done nothing but win so you have to respect that. The conference conversation is legit in my opinion because you really don't know if the teams in a conference are just good against each other and sorry competition or if they are just that good.

Again - Clemson has proven who we play has not hindered our performance on the big stage even against the best competition available.

They are overrated and will be crushed.***

Dec 10, 2019, 4:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We won't know until

Dec 10, 2019, 5:52 PM

we destroy the team that destroyed all of them.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic