Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How did you honestly feel about Clemson Football after the 2010 season came to a close?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

How did you honestly feel about Clemson Football after the 2010 season came to a close?

Sep 25, 2019, 3:34 PM

It just dawned on me that 2010 was the last time we played in Kenan Stadium. Tbh, I still had hope at the end of the year that we were trending in the right direction. Sure, it sucked seeing our little stepbrother turn in an unbelievable season but history showed that it wouldn't last long. We lost alot of close games that year (including @ the eventual champs Auburn) and you could tell that we were just a few players away from at least going from good to conference contenders. After that USF game, how did you feel about the program at that time?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did you honestly feel about Clemson Football after the 2010 season came to a close?

Sep 25, 2019, 3:40 PM

I wished the coaches would've moved on from KP after the Auburn game, and played Tajh. Kyle just didn't seem the same after that game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How did you honestly feel about Clemson Football after the 2010 season came to a close?

Sep 25, 2019, 3:44 PM

Kyle was definitely injured after that late hit spear. Trainers and coaches should have stepped up and allowed it time to heal. He never recovered and played injured all season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2019, 3:55 PM

It seemed to affect him psychologically. It looked like he played scared after that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 25, 2019, 4:09 PM

I'd say that was more the actual issue than any physical damage.

I felt that 2011 was going to be make or break for

Sep 25, 2019, 5:11 PM

the Dabo Swinney experiment. He seemed to have a plan, but the team was still not executing that plan well enough to win some games that we should have. The biggest "what if" for the whole season was "what if" Auburn hadn't illegally speared Kyle Parker in the back, how differently would the season have gone?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I felt that 2011 was going to be make or break for

Sep 25, 2019, 8:16 PM

I think playing prevent defense before the half was the turning point in that game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sitting there at the Tire Bowl, I felt that our performance

Sep 25, 2019, 3:41 PM

was certainly less than our best effort. But this young QB named Boyd had some in the last few drives, and turned around the mood for sure. It make me think that maybe things might be looking up for next year!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The loss to USF was terrible

Sep 25, 2019, 3:54 PM

I came away from the bowl game loss to USF deeply discouraged about our play and our prospects. I was there at the game in Charlotte and there was almost nothing I saw on the field that gave me hope.
We lost a bowl to nearly unheard of team from Florida that was living off the dregs of the Sunshine State that FSU, Florida and Miami did not want.

I doubted that we'd made a good selection in picking Dabo Swinney, a guy I saw as a Tommy Bowden disciple as head coach at Clemson. I mean we'd just finished up a losing season in which we fell completely apart, losing 3 of the last four games, beating only 3 win Wake Forest to break up that terrible streak.

These days nearly everyone says they knew Dabo was the one from the beginning, were always confident and knew he could do it.

Not me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was right there with you. Thought about emailing

Sep 25, 2019, 5:16 PM

the AD and the president... which are things I never have done.

Sep 25, 2019, 3:42 PM

That long ride home from Charlotte sucked? I was sick with sinus infection and we just got beat by a team we shouldv'e beat.

I was at the bowl game in Charlotte too.

Sep 25, 2019, 3:48 PM

I was definitely concerned at 6 - 7 to finish the year. But the way I saw T Boyd battle back in that game I thought that we might have found something.

But I was nervous about the state of the program at that time. And now we have reeled off eight straight 10+ win seasons. My concern at the end of 2010 was thankfully misplaced. Tigers have been pretty spectacular since the end of 2010.

Re: I was at the bowl game in Charlotte too.

Sep 25, 2019, 4:56 PM

I was also there. The coaches and totally stagnant offense concerned me. But Tajh gave me some hope. And I was happy for KP to finally get to go play baseball which was his true passion. Then the hiring of Chad gave me a glimmer of hope.

In the back of my mind was what Thomas Austin told me and my wife shortly after Dabo was hired. He came to our church to speak to our youth group (dude flat out PREACHED, I tell you!). And he said Dabo is legit and Clemson is about to become a juggernaut. He said Dabo knew all the players names, their parents names, their schedules....everything! He made it his job to know all about his program. And not just WR but all the players loved him. So I clung to that....but that lost to USF was a dreary day.

Eternally hopeful, as always

Sep 25, 2019, 3:53 PM

Luck was not on our side in 2010; a bunch of close losses that could have gone either way

Yup...'10 was to '11

Sep 25, 2019, 4:14 PM

What '76 was to '77...and a young team learning how win and handle success. The difference was, the '10 team ended on a loss at a bowl game. In '76, Clemson didn't know what a bowl game was, yet despite all, they were quite familiar with blasting the Scoks...and did so that year, too! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2019, 4:19 PM

If I'm going to answer with as much honesty as possible, well then my answer is that I have had a lot of heart breaks in a lot of years as a Clemson Tiger fan, but I have never given up on hope that our FB team would make a come back after the Ford days. And that hope was real bc I knew that we had been a NC team once, and it could and would happen again one day as soon as a coach some where would see in Clemson what thousands of Clemson fans had already experienced and was waiting for the day that it happen for us again. Hope is one of those emotions that if you never give up on, it can reward you again, and it did, it has, and the reward has been greater than it paid off before!!!

Sep 25, 2019, 4:19 PM

Dont remember it at all anymore.

Very disappointed but also felt that no other big time coach

Sep 25, 2019, 4:23 PM

would come to Clemson...or we wouldn't have enough money to get one...so I had a "it is what it is" feeling...

However, throughout the season I was hoping that someone would actually CATCH the dang ball..If I remember correctly we started to give Nuk the ball only towards the end of that season and our starting WRs were folks like Xavier Dye and Marquan Jones...lol...Things changed dramatically the following year with Sammy's arrival and Nuk becoming the alpha dog.

Sep 25, 2019, 4:25 PM

Losing to scar 2 years in a row, and that state rag had run an article about how they were going in one direction and Clemson was going in the other. It was the nadir of the time of great sorrows. I had mixed feelings about Dabo to be honest, giving him the benefit of the doubt as long as he beat scar the next year. Kept doing that for the next 3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, that game

Sep 25, 2019, 4:33 PM

Dad and I drove to Charlotte, sat out there and watched some ugly football.

Still one of my best memories as it was the last time I got to sit next to my dad and watch Clemson play. He passed away before the next season.

Sorry to digress, but the memory of that game always gets me contemplative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Man, that game

Sep 25, 2019, 4:48 PM

No wonder you remember. Thats cool you have that memory. RIP your Dad.

Re: Man, that game

Sep 25, 2019, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Man, that game ]

To continue the digression, I know you, like me and countless other Tiger fans, wish your Dad could have been around to experience the years since that last miserable season.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 25, 2019, 5:02 PM

as sick as I did after that 70-33 loss to West Virginia in the Orange Bowl the next year, in hindsight, it was an obvious overreaction

Sounds like overreactions are your specialty.

Sep 25, 2019, 5:07 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Sounds like overreactions are your specialty.

Sep 25, 2019, 5:18 PM

you are now ignored, so no more of your posts will I ever see, and I am cool with that

Re: Sounds like overreactions are your specialty.

Sep 25, 2019, 5:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 25, 2019, 5:08 PM

The close games really hurt. The team was fighting but just didn't have enough to finish the close games. Then the Clucks beat us. Then a bowl loss to USF . All I knew was we hired the receivers coach. I wanted him to go. I'm glad I'm not in charge ??????????

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I felt like Napier was in over his head and had to go***

Sep 25, 2019, 5:10 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 25, 2019, 7:55 PM

I came away from the 2010 season most disappointed with the lack of fan support. I purchased 4 tickets to the bowl game in Charlotte for $100 ($25/ticket) and the package came with 4 T-shirts. With such a great deal and being so close to Clemson, I would have expected a sellout, but the stadium was only half filled. I suppose the bandwagon fans hadn't quite jumped on the wagon yet.

I was disappointed but not willing to write Dabo off yet

Sep 26, 2019, 8:14 AM

I still saw the vision he had for the program and thought winning the division in 2009 in his first full year (something that Tommy could not do in his 9.5 years) bought him some time.

And I should add, seeing Dabo fire his friend Napier at the end of the season gave me the confidence that he was willing to do the hard things, which was reassuring.

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was Dabo guy right from the time he got hired as interim

Sep 26, 2019, 10:15 AM

coach. Not to say some doubt didn't creep in but just his life story and how he persevered against incredible obstacles, I thought that had been getting thru to recruits and would continue to do so. I wasn't 100% sure after that USF bowl game but I still had confidence he was the man for the job. What I had no idea of was how successful he and our Tigers would be! No way anyone could have predicted that maybe other than Dabo himself, he was that confident! And I'm so glad he was and so glad he's our coach hopefully until he retires! Go Dabo and Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: Orange®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic