Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shaka wins a championship
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Shaka wins a championship

Apr 4, 2019, 8:59 PM

Texas, NIT champs.

Still think he sucks?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lobbied for Shaka to get the job at Clemson when BB

Apr 4, 2019, 9:33 PM

was hired. the common point for most that didn't think he should have been hired was his lack of experience... we got experience but that hasn't translated into anything more than disappointment... IMHO...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas?

Apr 4, 2019, 9:35 PM

I certainly do.

He’s a .500 coach at Texas, despite inheriting a solid program who supports basketball well. Yawn.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas?

Apr 4, 2019, 10:04 PM

Judge, you are becoming too predictable.

Judge is right***

Apr 4, 2019, 10:36 PM

Would Shaka make more than 2 tournaments in 9 years

Apr 4, 2019, 11:17 PM

And increase fan enthusiasm.

The answer is obvious.

Why is it obvious?

Apr 5, 2019, 2:00 PM

What is it about his performance at Texas so far which makes you so confidently believe that?

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Um seriously?

Apr 5, 2019, 5:59 PM

Shaka has done more in less time, so there's that.

He did more as a mid major, but in a Power Conference, Brad

Apr 6, 2019, 1:03 PM

has done more with less

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really...

Apr 6, 2019, 9:46 PM

Shaka's first four years includes 2 ncaa tournament invites and the post season NIT championship... Brad's first four years only achieved 1 ncaa tournament invite and no post season championship.
Both coaches inherited programs that had consecutive NCAA tournament invites at the time of their hire.
I had a couple of different discussions with people in and around Clemson while I was on campus today and unfortunately, there are some things that Brad needs to change, but as an older coach, he isn't likely to improvise and adapt to them...

Becoming to predictable?

Apr 5, 2019, 7:12 AM [ in reply to Re: You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

Worst poster on the site, by a long shot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Becoming to predictable?

Apr 5, 2019, 12:01 PM

Apr 5, 2019, 7:32 AM [ in reply to Re: You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

This is one thing judge is right about

Shaka or Coach B ?

Apr 5, 2019, 12:13 PM

Do we really need to take a poll? I dont see what Judge is right about here?

Re: Shaka or Coach B ?

Apr 5, 2019, 12:16 PM

Brownell has done more with less than Shaka has. Shaka isnt the answer

Coach B hasnt done more

Apr 5, 2019, 12:49 PM

So stop right there.

How can you claim that?

Apr 5, 2019, 1:58 PM

Shaka Smart at Texas is 71-66 (.518) overall, 31-41 (.431) in the Big XII.

Brad Brownell at Clemson is 169-127 (.571) overall, 76-82 (.481) in the ACC.

Brad has done this with a lower salary, lower buyout, and less funding support from the administration, and plays in what most consider to be a tougher conference.

Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Has Coach B ever won an NIT tournament?

Apr 5, 2019, 5:58 PM

Or a tournament of any kind, in 9 years? I think not.

In a real conference he has***

Apr 6, 2019, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Coach B hasnt done more ]

Brownell inherited a program in the midst of 4 straight

Apr 4, 2019, 11:29 PM [ in reply to You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

NCAA tournament appearances... he's totally responsible for the regression

Smart hasn't had UT in the tournament every year but he has has them in the tournament just as many times as Brownell has had Clemson in the tournament in less than half the number of seasons...

I contend that if Smart had stayed in the region where he was known, he would have recruited better than Brownell and would have done at least what Brownell has done. but I would say that Smart would have been able to do better because he would have been able to get better players... he did it as an assistant under OP. make him the closer as HC, and he would have done a better job closing on a Josiah James, Aaron Nesmith, Sindarius Thornwell, Sharon Wright Jr., LJ Peak, Trae Hannibal, Juwan Gary and Christian Brown or identifying an AJ Lawson, Cartier Diarra, Kris Middleton, Ja Morant, Devonte Shuler, Tevin Mack, Trae McGowens, Jalyn McCreary, Dillon Williams, or some other hidden low key talent.

But two things in this discussion are absolutely true: my thoughts on Smart are all supposition but Brownell's results are undeniably underwhelming... I would take my chance with an assistant that has been on the bench coaching and recruiting at this level than taking the chance on an older coach who has never coached or recruited on this level (as you so ably pointed out in a previous post)...

Shaka has recruited very well at Texas.

Apr 4, 2019, 11:40 PM

That isn’t his problem. Coaching and developing players is.

Brownell hasn't excelled at either of those nor has he

Apr 4, 2019, 11:47 PM

recruited well... when you get the talent, you have a much better chance of at least bumbling into good coaching and development than when you don't...

Re: Brownell hasn't excelled at either of those nor has he

Apr 5, 2019, 8:13 AM

Nope, with the turnover in player transfers, etc... you can't bumble around on development.

Recruiting has been par for Brownell. Neither good not really bad. But the development has been better. Brownell has had more NBA-level players develop under him than other Clemson Coaches rather than finding gem of a a Booker or Buckner.

Brownell is the HC, the vast majority of players that have transferred

Apr 6, 2019, 12:33 PM

are players that HE recruited... player development is about maximizing they're growth potential for their time at Clemson to maximize wins. When the HC selects players to recruit and choose to sign, he is 100% responsible for his evaluation of those players to be their best for the concept of the team that he defines...

Message was edited by: Knuck®

Re: Brownell inherited a program in the midst of 4 straight

Apr 5, 2019, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Brownell inherited a program in the midst of 4 straight ]

Texas made the tourney 15 of the 16 previous years.

Shaka has had an easier road in a weaker conference with more school support.

You can't just look at NCAA appearances otherwise you miss this gem:

Brad was robbed in 13-14 as he was 23-13, 10-8 in ACC play and 6th of the ACC's 15 teams.
Shaka made the tournament last year being 19-15, 8-10 in conference play and was T-6th... which that year was tied for second to last of 10 Big12 teams

Also, Brad was responsible for the 4 straight appearances.

Re: Brownell inherited a program in the midst of 4 straight

Apr 5, 2019, 12:19 PM

We finished 23-13. We didn’t get in because we choked against Pitt that year up like 7 or 8 points with 30 seconds or something crazy like that. Didn’t deserve to get in

UT went to the NCAA 16 of the 17 years before Shaka got

Apr 6, 2019, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Brownell inherited a program in the midst of 4 straight ]

there, they've already missed it twice in the 4 years he has been there...Tells an intelligent person all they need to know

Clemson missed 3 of Brad's 1st 4 years as HC

Apr 6, 2019, 10:00 PM

after OP built the program up from no invites to 3 consecutive invites...
Texas isn't a perennial Final Four program and their high mark in the tournament was the Elite 8 under Barnes, IIC...
Shaka may not have done anything more than Brad has, but it would have been a lot more fun to experience those highs and lows...

Apr 5, 2019, 7:30 AM [ in reply to You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

I will say it is very impressive that Judge Keller can type so well with his lips firmly planted on Brad's backside. That's got to be a difficult task. BTW, when/how do you eat?

Why are you so obsessed about Brownell and what others think about him?

Apr 5, 2019, 8:42 AM

My post was about Shaka Smart. So is this thread. Please keep up.

Apr 5, 2019, 7:34 AM [ in reply to You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

Texas also has more money than just about anyone else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texas is a football school and a football state.

Apr 5, 2019, 8:44 AM [ in reply to You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

Everyone knows this.

And he was able to win the prestigious NIT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A football school that also supports basketball very well

Apr 5, 2019, 8:46 AM

in a football state with lots of very good basketball players.

That’s unpossible.

Apr 5, 2019, 11:57 AM

So I’ve herd

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UT went the the Dance 16 of 17 years under Barnes***

Apr 6, 2019, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Texas is a football school and a football state. ]

Apr 6, 2019, 12:57 PM [ in reply to You don’t think Shaka has been underwhelming at Texas? ]

Judge, you keep saying that there little to no support for the basketball program. In 2016 Clemson wrapped up a $63 million dollar renovation to Little John and basketball athletic facilities. What number in your mind would be considered adequate support that would translate into wins?

Yep

Apr 4, 2019, 9:36 PM

69th does not mean you can coach. If he wins 3 straight NITs he will be fired at Texas.

Very prestigious.***

Apr 4, 2019, 11:14 PM

I'd take it over losing in the 2nd round

Apr 4, 2019, 11:19 PM

at home..with 4 seniors.

I certainly don't want to be a perennial NIT team

Apr 4, 2019, 11:32 PM

but, if you are going to play in it, you might as well play to win it just like we play to win any of the preseason tournaments we play in... the NIT is the championship that it used to be, but Clemson has ZERO tournament championships; I'll take that NIT trophy and the players would too...

Every day.

Apr 5, 2019, 2:52 PM [ in reply to I'd take it over losing in the 2nd round ]

And twice on Sunday.

Re: Shaka wins a championship

Apr 5, 2019, 8:09 AM

Yes. He is averaging a 6.5 place finish in the BXII, is 31-41 in conference, and has yet to win a Tourney game. I consider Clemson's last 4 years to be more of a success, especially considering the level of support different between the two. I think the lack of success in the BXII is more of an issue as while it is not a completely weak-sauce conference like the P12, it isn't as competitive as the B10 or ACC. Even the SEC might be stronger - at least at the top and middle.

Texas was dancing 15 of 16 year prior and has done 2-4 under Shaka.

Worse, the team isn't just under-performing, Shaka is often outcoached in the few Texas games I have watched.

Shaka has the same consistency issues as OP. He will knock off Kansas in a weak year but also turn around and lose to Radford and Georgia.

After all, we beat Lipscomb. I was there.

Re: Shaka wins a championship

Apr 5, 2019, 8:54 AM

The NIT is meaningless.

Championship count

Apr 5, 2019, 3:09 PM

Shaka-1
Clemson-0

Replies: 43
| visibility 1