Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Regarding Venables and our defense...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 2,268

Regarding Venables and our defense...

Jan 2, 2021, 1:40 PM

the cold, hard facts are that we have given up 91 points and 1,267 yards in our last two playoff games.

This is unacceptable. I’m confident Venables, Dabo, and the entire team find it unacceptable as well.

How do we fix it? My understanding is that we have the talent, based on recruiting rankings. I’m not aware of any major misses in recruiting for specific position groups, but someone more knowledgeable about recruiting can hopefully correct me if I’m wrong.

I know we had some early departures last year for the NFL, as well as some injuries this year. But I can’t accept that as a legitimate excuse for a program that recruits so well and is known to say “we too deep.” We must be able to reload if we hope to be more competitive in the playoffs.

At this level, with our unmatched investment in coaching salaries and facilities, our coaches must figure this out. I believe they will.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Regarding Venables and our defense...

Jan 2, 2021, 1:47 PM

We went into the year with 4 new starters on OL, 3 in secondary, 2 at LB and 2 at WR. Yes we had some experience at those positions but not the same as starting for 2 years. Those are the things that hurt this year plus more injuries than I remember lately. Need to work during off season and hire an assistant or at least an analyst from the B1G to coach OL holding.

Message was edited by: djones73®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to blame the OL and WRs for our defense playing poorly.

Jan 2, 2021, 1:55 PM

I expected our offense to do better considering we have who some believe to be the best college QB ever, as well as the ACC’s best RB in history. Obviously the OL had a lot to do with our struggles, as did WR injuries, but despite that our offense shouldn’t have to score over 40 points to keep us in the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

How about this. In both games, our field general

Jan 2, 2021, 1:47 PM

James Skalksi was kicked out for almost 30 minutes in each. Once he was gone the defense went into complete meltdown and had no opportunity for their second half rebound. This is the primary reason the defense has such horrible numbers. Now, should we have depth and backup capable of being that on field general on defense? Yes, and that needs to be addressed in 2021. Losing one person on defense shouldn't have that impact but it has.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skalski needed to do a better job of keeping his composure.

Jan 2, 2021, 1:57 PM

But I agree that losing one player should not have that kind of an impact.

Re: Skalski needed to do a better job of keeping his composure.

Jan 2, 2021, 2:11 PM

We didn't lose one player. His backup was already out with a broken arm. I still think that we should have done better, but many of the problems are at least understandable when you are down to the 3rd string field general.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 1:52 PM

I must have missed that part about you suggesting we fire B V and hire WiLL Muschamp.He certainly doesn't need that much money so we should be able to get him cheaper than keeping Brent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are you talking about?

Jan 2, 2021, 2:00 PM

I think BV is the best defensive coordinator in college football. I wouldn’t trade him for anyone. But it’s his and Dabo’s job to figure out how not to give up 40+ points and 600+ yards in the playoffs.

Wouldn’t you agree?

What CFP team - outside of the 2018 Tigers - had an ELITE defense?

Jan 2, 2021, 1:59 PM

None, zero.

The game, the coaching, the schemes, the athletes, the officiating - all of it - are geared towards the offense, towards scoring points.

We all need to come to this realization soon and the sooner we an accept it, our own defensive limitations, that better we will be able to adjust.

We needed to go for it on 4th and 2 last night (tied 14-14?). We were moving the ball well enough (400 yards passing). We didn't go for it and the game got out of hand in a hurry. Our best defense last night and against LSU would have been to keep the other offense off the field.

We have yet to accept this, we think we can rely on defensive scheme to stop elite, high powered offenses and we can't. At best, our defense can hold tight in red zone and limit these types of offenses to field goals, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

The ONLY reason we beat tOSU last year was bc we limited them to FGs rather than TDs in the first half.

To win these games we need, at least, 30+ points.

Defense was/is not the issue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

So you want to just concede that we are going to give

Jan 2, 2021, 2:02 PM

up loads of yards and points when we play good teams? Why have a defensive coordinator then? Why pay one $2 million a year if we are okay with a shootout?

Good luck asking our offense to score at least 50 points a game just to give ourselves a chance to win.

No, but the statistics do not lie. Look at Bama, LSU (2019),

Jan 2, 2021, 2:06 PM

and tOSU this year. Each of those teams give/gave up yardage to us (or others), but mustered 2-3 stops a game and outscored the opponent.

We made stops (early last night) and got an interception. That was enough.

We needed the offense to do more, to play all four downs (go into each series assuming four plays/no punt), which would have also kept tOSU off the field.

We played a very "traditional" football game, and against tOSU (last year and this year), LSU (2019), Bama (this year) that is simply not enough.

Bama has realized this. Look at their drop-off defensively this year, but it doesn't matter - their offense more than makes up for it.

Message was edited by: Matthetiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Congratulations on your dumbest comment ever ??

Please, tell me, what was dumb about it?***

Jan 2, 2021, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Regarding Venables and our defense... ]

This is nowhere near his dumbest post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Replies: 13
| visibility 2,268
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic