Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How ACC Basketball Helps ACC Football (Money)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,424

How ACC Basketball Helps ACC Football (Money)

Mar 21, 2016, 10:35 AM

Its not the be all end all, but the revenue as always been closer than what people like to think. This is just a basic take on the NCAA Tourney revenue. Id love to know the difference in money made on the ACC tournament/Championship game vs. SEC tournament/championship game.

http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/03/how-bb-helps-out-fb.html

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

It helps, but even if the ACC knocks it out of the

Mar 21, 2016, 10:49 AM

Park this year and gets 4 teams in the final 4 we are only looking at around a $40 tournament distribution. The SEC gets around $15 - $20 million. So, the 20 million extra helps, but it only goes so far against the $100 million revenue gap from the SEC network.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It helps, but even if the ACC knocks it out of the

Mar 21, 2016, 11:01 AM

Correct! The ACC doesn't have the cash cow the SEC or BIG does but another 45 mil is on the way from ESPN this year every year the league Doesn't have a Network in place. We're behind but its not as bad as it seems. Can't rest on our laurels though.

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: It helps, but even if the ACC knocks it out of the

Mar 21, 2016, 11:47 AM [ in reply to It helps, but even if the ACC knocks it out of the ]

Hope you don't mind me chiming in, but just for the sake of accuracy: if the ACC were to place 4 teams in the Final Four, the payout would be $49 million (not just $40 M), and the BEST the SEC can do at this point is only about $14 M. So we are actually talking $26 M... you point about the SEC Network stands, however; all this really does is make up for the Sugar Bowl vs. the Orange Bowl.

And would help even more if they allow more ACC

Mar 21, 2016, 10:50 AM

schools in the tournament. It is ridiculous that the league gets less teams in post expansion years.

Does the NIT bring in any money adjustments as well?

TIA - Asking for multiple SEC fans. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: And would help even more if they allow more ACC

Mar 21, 2016, 11:02 AM

Louisville should have been in this year. That would have been a conference record. Pretty sure the NIT accounting takes place after the .

I wonder about the long term financial outlook for all the

Mar 21, 2016, 11:19 AM

conference networks.

Other than the live game broadcasts, who watches the miscellaneous crap on these networks especially since the Internet offer so many opportunities for re-broadcasts. What are the advertising revenues and how do they match up versus expenses. My guess is that the initial contracts overestimated revenues and viewership.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO conference networks aren't a long term strategy

Mar 21, 2016, 11:47 AM

they are subsidized on the backs of non-sports fans. Its easy for us to say "sure pay that extra $1.30 a month" because we are sports fans. But the vast majority of cable subscribers aren't sports fans and aren't college sports fans in particular. The more of the non-sports fans that cut the cord the more that cost goes up for the rest of ud. Sports programming is 10-12/month, and that is if you are under contract. I know its a hard decision in my house to get the wife to go along with paying for cable. I can't imagine what it would be like if you didn't follow a college team with religious fervor.

I would rather the folks that run the universities in the ACC figure out the NEXT revenue source rather than going with a conference network. If they could guarantee me that for a subscriber fee, any Clemson sporting event regardless of TV carrier would be on an internet-based feed, I would sign up in a minute and seriously consider dropping cable.

Re: IMO conference networks aren't a long term strategy

Mar 21, 2016, 11:51 AM

The trend is for conference networks to be pushed off the basic cable tier and onto the sports tier... where they will get paid the "out of footprint" rate. For the SECN that means dropping from ($1.30 X every cable customer in the South) down to ($0.30 X just the ones with the sports tier).

As for the "next thing", note that ESPN and the NFL are both testing a la carte, direct subscriptions (in the $10/month range). That could be the future of the ACC Network, IMO. Fewer subscribers, but at a much higher rate.

If ESPN/NFL is going that route

Mar 21, 2016, 11:58 AM

maybe the ACC should just go with someone like Comcast. They could control the content AND the delivery network.

In a direct to consumer TV world the internet providers will rule and not ESPN.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,424
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic