Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
House is for sale, wife just got a job that pays more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 877

House is for sale, wife just got a job that pays more

Jul 15, 2020, 9:26 AM

(a LOT more) that she can work from anywhere, and I can work from anywhere, too.

I'm trying to decide where to live next--it's not going to be Mt P or CHS. I'm done here. That, and when this house sells, I won't be able to afford moving back in my same 'hood.

I'm thinking either the Keys (Plantation, or even as far south as Marathon), the Bahamas (New Providence) or maybe even Barbados. I've been told (haven't looked yet) that they have enacted special tax rates to get people to come there and live because Covid has wiped out their tax base. I've got a buddy that lives in Curacao and he loves it there. Its 85/75 every day, all year round. They never get storms. St Thomas would be pretty cool, but its expensive AF there. Just not sure what fits.

Depending on where we move, I'll liquidate everything I own (cars, boat, furniture all the house stuff) and just take a container of clothes and stuff with us.

We missed this adventure when we were in the same position and moved back from Clemson. This time, my wife is all in, and ready to try it out. If we move somewhere and it sucks, I guess we'll just move to Beaufort or somewhere and restart.

Have any of you jungers lived anywhere in the Caribbean for more time than a vacation? Big part of this is "where do we go?"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DAMSON

Jul 15, 2020, 9:32 AM

You getting driven out of your home country by a 30 rack drankin NCST grad?

Weak bruh, weak.

Be aware that Barbados is I think on AST, which is an hour earlier than EST for half the year. Maybe. I think. That slides errrrything back earlier.

Belize might be worth looking into.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or...

Jul 15, 2020, 9:37 AM

Chester, which is 160 years behind Eastern Standard Time.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mood

Jul 15, 2020, 9:42 AM [ in reply to DAMSON ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I don't think we were ever on the same planet***

Jul 15, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to DAMSON ]

Since liquidating eveyrthing I figure y'all

Jul 15, 2020, 9:35 AM

ought to rent for like a year. This way, when it turns out just like Clemson, you can cut and run easier.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yeah--I woudn't be buying anything***

Jul 15, 2020, 10:17 AM

Hedonism has long term rentals.***

Jul 15, 2020, 9:36 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats Ineligible! How cool!***

Jul 15, 2020, 9:41 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sweet!

Jul 15, 2020, 9:41 AM

85/75 every day sounds nice although I do like seasons

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Seriously, this virus has me living like Groundhog Day

Jul 15, 2020, 10:09 AM

already. EVERY DAY IS THE SAME.

Well, that and retirement.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The most boring job in the world:Curacao weatherman

Jul 15, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to sweet! ]

If I was in this position, I would be moving to sunny

Jul 15, 2020, 9:44 AM

Boulder, CO

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Butt for real, congratulations. That is a dream for sure.***

Jul 15, 2020, 9:46 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After spending a few days in Breck

Jul 15, 2020, 9:59 AM [ in reply to If I was in this position, I would be moving to sunny ]

I might have to agree with you about Colorado. I was miserable those days due to altitude, but I would get used to it. Thats some absolutely beautiful country out there and almost endless outdoor possibilities year round.

Altitude killed us too. We were supposed to be there two

Jul 15, 2020, 10:04 AM

weeks ago. Maybe going at Halloween, but certainly next summer (well, as certain as I can be during these pandemic times).

Wife and I are both very interested in moving out of SC and into CO. A few things have to happen first in order for it to be a truly viable option though.

Can we come?

Jul 15, 2020, 10:48 AM

Wife swapping over such a long distance isn't exactly feasible, and what's 2 more kids?

also, does altitude sickness only affect some people? I don't think I ever got it in 6-7 trips

I think my biggest mistake

Jul 15, 2020, 11:21 AM

Was drinking my ### off on night one without even thinking how altitude would affect that. I have heard the comparison that 1 beer at sea level is comparable to 3 beers at altitude.

I must be immune to it

Jul 15, 2020, 11:27 AM

it's almost non-stop drinking when I'm out there, never even got a hangover

the 1st two times I was out there, I smoked cigs...THAT's weird, they burn a LOT slower

THIS. I drank entirely too much and did not hydrate so

Jul 15, 2020, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I think my biggest mistake ]

the hangover at 10k feet was TERRIBLE. A couple advil later and we were good to go though. Only happened the first night. The dry nose was a ##### though. Felt like I needed to pick my nose the entire time.

Dry nose is REAL

Jul 15, 2020, 11:40 AM

it's like someone made a plaster cast of my nostrils every morning

boogers comin' out like thimbles

booger suger surprisingly does nothing to help

Jul 15, 2020, 11:42 AM

I have heard

Mountains have never been my thing.

Jul 15, 2020, 10:18 AM [ in reply to If I was in this position, I would be moving to sunny ]

Too far from the salt air and it gets below 70 degrees.

Mountains win again

Jul 15, 2020, 10:34 AM

https://youtu.be/G4OTDztS_iA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I’d love Boulder too, but

Jul 15, 2020, 11:58 AM [ in reply to If I was in this position, I would be moving to sunny ]

Never been big on $900k 950 sq ft fixer uppers.

We came suuuuuper close to moving to Evergreen 7 years ago, but Nashville won when the option presented.

If I were moving anywhere in CO with high quality of life and realistic living costs, it would be Durango. Just an amazing town.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Durango was my suggestion too. WIfe thinks we can settle

Jul 15, 2020, 12:04 PM

for a small house in the $850k range near Boulder.

I lol every time.

plus, there's an immediate source of income

Jul 15, 2020, 12:08 PM

https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-Opportunity/Retail-Marijuana-Grow-and-Dispensary/1566418/

You and Obed want to go #AllIN with me and

Jul 15, 2020, 12:29 PM

Clemson Brothers' Grow House?

Nice situation...moar power to y’all!***

Jul 15, 2020, 9:44 AM

Pigs of all in wife? ****

Jul 15, 2020, 6:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or how about a before and after?

Jul 15, 2020, 9:47 AM

Before all in pig

After all in pig

She seems to be smiling a lot more now***

Jul 15, 2020, 10:19 AM

Look for some rich jet setter that needs a caretaker

Jul 15, 2020, 9:48 AM

for their island estate that they only use a few days out of the year.

We can call you Higgins.

https://youtu.be/tfRNi7zYozM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

And

Jul 15, 2020, 9:51 AM

A friend that plans to retire there in 2 more years has researched different places for several years and is planning to move to St Lucia

https://www.stlucia.org/en/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Can confirm after a 10 day stay

Jul 15, 2020, 9:54 AM

that place is sa-weeeeet.

They talk in some kind of french/creole/carib dialect though. Can't understand shat if they don't want you too. Don't think it can be learned either. Leads to trust issues, at least the way I see it. Buttthat's like everywhere in the carib though.

Ain't cheap, either.

I don't really trust anyone here, either.

Jul 15, 2020, 10:21 AM

And has been proven by my concubine neighbor, I have a hard time understanding yankees, too.

If you love the Charleston-area tourons...

Jul 15, 2020, 9:50 AM

then you're going to LOVE Key West year round. It'll be a great opportunity to expand the dolt base to far more cultures and nationalities.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keys are dirty

Jul 15, 2020, 9:52 AM

lots of undesirables down there. Jorts, gold chains, meth.

Have you been to North Charleston, West Ashley, Goose Creek

Jul 15, 2020, 10:22 AM

or Seneca?

Yes

Jul 15, 2020, 10:27 AM

And Gaston. And Cowpens.

Someone hasn't watched Bloodline...

Jul 15, 2020, 2:56 PM [ in reply to If you love the Charleston-area tourons... ]

100percent accurate depiction of FL trash

I've got some connections in Grand Cayman...

Jul 15, 2020, 9:52 AM

it's miserably hot/humid this time of year, stupidly expensive, but most people have a British accent.

ok, I guess that's 3 reasons NOT to move there

Go on

Jul 15, 2020, 10:22 AM

I like miserably hot/humid.

They drive on the left side of the road***

Jul 15, 2020, 10:50 AM

A Class A RV gives you an opportunity to check out

Jul 15, 2020, 9:56 AM

many places at their best season. If your neighbors suck, move on the next morning.

You meet the nicest people in campgrounds.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:00 PM

Wait, no you don’t. They’re sketchy AF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hold up. I've got the perfect place. Still in CHS area

Jul 15, 2020, 10:05 AM

no rent, no property tax, and access to a great cook. Live like 19B®s relatives, buy an RV, park it in his driveway, ??, profit.

The perfect retirement plan. You might even get to mooch off of his wifi

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats

Jul 15, 2020, 10:20 AM

Hope you are happy wherever you land!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My takeaway from all of this:

Jul 15, 2020, 10:20 AM

Kids ruin everything. You lucky sonofabitch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could have told you that.***

Jul 15, 2020, 10:38 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know how folks do it***

Jul 15, 2020, 10:39 AM

I like the Belize rec too. If I were doing Bahamas,

Jul 15, 2020, 11:34 AM

I’d be all over somewhere like Marsh Harbor before the big island.

Lastly, you should try south padre island, Panama City beach, or Daytona. Lots of culture there for the art and food connoisseur.

Lulz. Let me recount some Clemson spring breaks, based

Jul 15, 2020, 11:43 AM

on your list:

'92: Daytona
'95: South Padre Island
'96: Panama City

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much more culture at Murder Beach

Jul 15, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to I like the Belize rec too. If I were doing Bahamas, ]

You got Dolly Parton's place, the go carts and dinosaur golf at Broadway at the Beach, Brazilian steakhouse, all you can eat seafood. Biker rallies.

I mean, Murder Beach really has it all

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my aunt lives in barbados

Jul 15, 2020, 11:38 AM

and loves it. retired big wig from a gov agency. she was stationed there toward the end of her career.

While you're at it, also check out New Zealand and Costa Rica (pacific side). Haven't been to New Zealand, but looks sick and english speaking.

Costa Rica is my pipe dream retirement spot. people are awesome, fishing is dope, chicks are hot, just all around bad ###.

My cousin the retired preacher moved to Costa Rica

Jul 15, 2020, 11:55 AM

He says pretty much the same thing about it you did.

Rents a nice 2 bedroom house with a live in housekeeper/cook and gardener/driver (married couple) in the cottage out back all on a Methodist preacher’s pension (not to be confused with a mega church preacher’s retirement)

Isaac Asimov

Had a cousin that lived in St. Thomas. Every time

Jul 15, 2020, 11:54 AM

I talked to him I'd ask "How are things in St. Thomas?" and he'd reply "Sunny, 82 degrees, nice breeze blowing. Just like every day!".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

APM has also heard great things about Curacao.

Jul 15, 2020, 12:35 PM

out of the storm belt, quaint Dutch stuff, relatively cheap...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIRST DIBS ON YOUR BOAT

Jul 15, 2020, 12:40 PM

Being able to travel exclusively by golf cart or boat would be magical.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But have you done your taxes yet?***

Jul 15, 2020, 4:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Still haven't.

Jul 15, 2020, 4:55 PM

Maybe I'll do them tonight, maybe I won't.

They'll get their dammm money when I'm ready to give it to them.

Re: House is for sale, wife just got a job that pays more

Jul 16, 2020, 6:42 AM

Definitely the North Shore of St Thomas!! It the area near the zip line and get up high on the mountain so you can see the BVI's and enjoy the cool breezes. Plenty of restaurants are nearby. Magens Bay is a 5 minute ride away. Cool shopping in Charlotte Amalie is 20 minutes away. Plus its in the US so hassle free travel and land ownership.

Replies: 61
| visibility 877
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic