Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What's the lamest environment you've seen in Death Valley ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

What's the lamest environment you've seen in Death Valley ?

May 22, 2019, 1:44 PM

For me, its always when the SEC comes into town.

Its almost like they don't want to be there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UTEP in 1997. 59,700 people in DV. And the weather wasnt bad

May 22, 2019, 1:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Yep. This game tops my list.***

May 22, 2019, 3:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS^^^^ Reminded me of a scrimmage

May 22, 2019, 3:49 PM [ in reply to UTEP in 1997. 59,700 people in DV. And the weather wasnt bad ]

Clemson in orange jerseys and them in white with both wearing orange helmets

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UTEP in 1997. 59,700 people in DV. And the weather wasnt bad

May 22, 2019, 4:49 PM [ in reply to UTEP in 1997. 59,700 people in DV. And the weather wasnt bad ]

i agree with you. UTEP didn't bring a pep band or cheerleaders. On the few occasions they did something

Panthers games in 95.

May 22, 2019, 1:49 PM

Although it was still pretty cool to wake up Sunday and walk over to an NFL game.
And it was a pretty big deal when the 49ers came in with Steve Young and Jerry Rice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's easy...most games during the Hatfield and West

May 22, 2019, 1:52 PM

era during the 1990's. I was just a kid and only went to a handful of games but the time of the early to mid 1970's BEFORE the rebirth of Clemson football in 1977.

Re: What's the lamest environment you've seen in Death Valley ?

May 22, 2019, 1:52 PM

1993 home game vs MARY. Hatfield's last year---Couldn't have been more than 35K at the game. People were done with Hatfield at that time. Very sad scene...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were 66,147 at that Maryland game, and we won 29-0.***

May 22, 2019, 5:10 PM

May 22, 2019, 1:55 PM

In 1998 when we went 3-8. Yuck. My dad and I still had season tickets back then and went to every game and stayed the entire time no matter what. Those were painful days. But now I’m glad I got to spend time with my dad. I got to go to over 70 games with him. Clemson forever. Lame or Lovin’ It!

The last game we partied like it was 1999 though

May 22, 2019, 3:42 PM

Tommy got a shoulder ride

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was down on the field that day, chanting, "Tommy! Tommy!

May 22, 2019, 5:00 PM

Tommy!" as he coached his last game. It was over, but he and Clemson fans were gracious in that win.

Tommy West Years***

May 22, 2019, 1:56 PM

as much as it pains me to say it, actually the last couple

May 22, 2019, 2:01 PM

of years haven't been so hot (referring ONLY to the environment) with the hill now being significantly gutted of people.

The heat has nothing to do with an empty hill, I’ve

May 22, 2019, 2:19 PM

Sat on a full hill in the 80’s with the temperature at the start of the game in the 90’s.

That time Julius Peppers ruined homecoming

May 22, 2019, 2:02 PM

It was miserable

That whole day was weird. Traffic was terrrible with wrecks

May 22, 2019, 2:07 PM

everywhere. It wasn't only hot but it was also humid with no hint of a breeze. The band sounded off key, the run down the hill was disjointed, etc..

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

May 22, 2019, 2:04 PM

SEC right? Definitely every single Louisiana State home game. It is like they ain't even trying and never bothered to recruit an offense. They can't score, let alone beat Alabama... but I hear Jawja has a hard time. I guess neither side wants to be there but Jawja folds faster. Oh well.

VaTech game under Tommy West 31-0 loss and it

May 22, 2019, 2:09 PM

Wasn’t that close. Death Valley had at least 30K seats empty to start the game and about 50K by halftime.

Re: VaTech game under Tommy West 31-0 loss and it

May 22, 2019, 2:21 PM

37-0. If you left early I’d understand!

Re: VaTech game under Tommy West 31-0 loss and it

May 22, 2019, 2:52 PM

I didn’t because my 7 year old son fell asleep and I didn’t want to wake him.

Oh yeah forgot about that one. The only game I ever left

May 22, 2019, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: VaTech game under Tommy West 31-0 loss and it ]

early. Those dudes had their way with us that day.

I just remember their DL shifted constantly, threw us off

May 22, 2019, 3:29 PM [ in reply to VaTech game under Tommy West 31-0 loss and it ]

Our O was 1 yard and cloud of dust that day... and that was a good run.

i sat beside a few VT fans at that game

May 22, 2019, 7:37 PM [ in reply to VaTech game under Tommy West 31-0 loss and it ]

I remember telling them their QB was pretty good. They said wait until next year, we've got a freshman red shirt that will shock the world.....they were right.

May 22, 2019, 2:11 PM

Tommy West's last year was bad. They didn't even open all the concession stands. You could pretty much sit anywhere you wanted because of the empty seats. It was actually depressing especially after experiencing Death Valley as a student during the Ford years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 22, 2019, 2:29 PM

I think it was in 1976 when Duke kicked a 50 something yard field goal to win the game. The ball skidded on the crossbar and went through. Duke was not that good that year.

The Game was actually a tie

May 22, 2019, 2:42 PM

with score 18-18.

Duke kicked 6 field Goals and I believe it was a Homecoming Snoozefest!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Going back to 1977, Hatfield's last season comes to mind and

May 22, 2019, 3:13 PM

also some Tommy West games, but for me the absolute worst was 2003 UGA. Easily the hottest day ever in The Valley, concessions ran out of all drinks and ice before half time, our center was puking on the ball (Tommy Sharpe), Fred Gibson made Justin Miller look like he'd never played a down of football, we got gouged 30-0, I had UGA fans trying to start crap with me in the concourse and waiting to get in the bathroom, I had to pull my 15 year old stepson away from one UGA fan and almost had to hit the guy myself. Easily the worst day I ever spent at any Clemson football game.

Re: Going back to 1977, Hatfield's last season comes to mind and

May 22, 2019, 3:39 PM

Wished you wouldn’t have reminded me of that Ga. game,my dad and 2 brothers had season tickets in
North upper deck,but my son bought 2 /50 yd. line seats in south upper deck,only bad thing was, they
were at the very top of the stands.Some idiot bulldog fan,(in a hard hat),barked the whole #### game.
Pissed so many people off that day, some young good looking gal took his hat and threw it down the
stands.Best part of the day !

May 22, 2019, 3:35 PM

It was the Wake Forest game during the Hatfield era. There was a lightning delay and the game was bleak. The crowd size was a tad larger than the coots spring game. Aweful times then

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loss to Maryland 2006

May 22, 2019, 3:40 PM

Noon game. No one wanted to be there. We didn't even score a TD. Final was 13-12 I think. Awful game.

Honorable mention: 2002 NC State

May 22, 2019, 3:48 PM

I think it was a Thursday night game. T.A. McLendon ran all over us. Only positive thing was Justin Miller's hit on an NC State guy.

My brother and dad (both NCSU grads) went to that game

May 22, 2019, 7:43 PM

It is my brothers favorite NCSU game ever. He loved bringing it up for 15 years.

He doesn't talk about it much now....

Started that season 7-1 with a 1 point loss to BC the only

May 22, 2019, 3:58 PM [ in reply to Loss to Maryland 2006 ]

blemish. Then proceeded to lose 4 of the last five, starting w/ a 24-7 loss @ VT.

When Wake kicked our but in the rain

May 22, 2019, 3:41 PM

there were only 5 of us left in the upper deck

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In all seriousness, the home loss to Wake under Hatfield.

May 22, 2019, 3:44 PM

About 40-45k. Most depressing football game I've been to in DV.

The waxing by UGA in the 2003 hotter-than-hades shutout, and the 2001 (?) annihilation by Julius Peppers and UNC against Woody and the crew are close seconds. The GT/Calvin Johnson catch against against Justin Miller was a heartbreaker as well. My lovely wife and I sat there in the stands for about 20 minutes after that game, in a depressed haze.

TIGERAMA in the mid '80s

May 22, 2019, 4:13 PM

Nothing but whacked out Greek Geeks yelling into a microphone that no one could understand.

May 22, 2019, 4:15 PM

Last half of the FSU game in 2013, such a sad memory

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TCU 2009...It rained buckets and we lost to Andy Dalton***

May 22, 2019, 4:15 PM

May 22, 2019, 4:25 PM

2006 Maryland game, a 13-12 loss. The team and the crowd had zero energy even during pregame.

May 22, 2019, 4:59 PM

Second half of the 1976 game against Top 10 UGA that played Pitt in the Sugar Bowl. We had beaten The Citadel 10-7 (that’s right I said 10-7) the week before and were coming off a 2-9 season. Game was on ABC and it was 416 degrees in the shade. Lost 41-0 and we didn’t have any National Championship memories to fall back on to cheer us up yet.

Probably not the worst but the most disappointing

May 22, 2019, 5:04 PM

environment in my time attending CU games was 2006 Maryland. Noon kickoff didn't help and we were coming off the whooping we got up at VT 9 days earlier, but we still 7-2 and had a very good chance to win the division and make our first appearance in the ACCCG. We just needed to beat that fairly mediocre MD team and then a really bad NC State team - both at home.

And it was like either nobody cared or nobody realized what was at stake. The atmosphere was just dead, nobody was into the game, and there was absolutely no crowd noise to help get the team going..

May 22, 2019, 5:42 PM

I sat through every game during the Hatfield and West eras. Once was enough. Not opening up that can of worms. Enjoying what we have now. I just want to see the hill packed. Spot the ball...

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic