Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Considering Radley-Hiles and Ross seem to be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Considering Radley-Hiles and Ross seem to be

Dec 21, 2017, 1:37 PM

Considering that Radley-Hiles and Ross seem to be distinct possibilities and we have outside shots at some others, it looks like we could potentially get into the over-signed territory. I'm sure that Dabo would never do it, but just curious at how the NCAA would view things if Jake Venables's scholarship was rescinded and we just gave Brent a little raise to offset his expenses. I don't think we can now that we have hit the LOI stage, but had wondered would he skip it to give some wiggle room. Can anyone educate me on what would be legal, whether it is ethical or not?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't matter, won't happen.

Dec 21, 2017, 1:39 PM

Class is guaranteed to hit 17 and will probably get to 20. We won't have to oversign and Jake has earned his scholarship. Doesn't matter who his father is.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Doesn't matter, won't happen.

Dec 21, 2017, 1:56 PM

Wasn't questioning Jake. He is rated higher than a few other recruits and is obviously going to have a knowledge of the game and in particular his Dad's defense that will not show up in the rating. I don't expect anything to be done or I think they would have gone about things differently earlier in the process. However, I am still curious if this type of situation is addressed in NCAA rules.

Dec 21, 2017, 3:09 PM

Also , the entire staff has already received raises.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Doesn't matter, won't happen. ]

I think that he was just wanting Dabo to have some room and if he could have that through Jake surrendering his scholly. If they could have, they would've created a bonus of some type for BV. The sec has it figure out, and I'm sure Dabo would have also for an elite DB or elite O lineman!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Considering Radley-Hiles and Ross seem to be

Dec 21, 2017, 1:53 PM

Pretty sure we cannot pull any scholarships from the 15 players that signed LOIs yesterday.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2017, 2:22 PM

I think you are correct and I tried allude to that in my question. I'm not trying to question whether Jake Venables is worthy of a scholarship either. If the situation was switched and Jake Venables and Trevor Lawrence had the other's skill set then I would still wonder was it allowable. Even if we were giving the scholarship to Drew Costa, wouldn't it make more sense to essentially pay for Jake through his father and have the university pick up the bill for someone else where the family ties do not exist?

Dec 21, 2017, 1:56 PM

Where do people come up with these outlandish scenarios? What if Venables fakes an illness and decides to wait until December to enroll? What if we give XTs family enough bitcoin money to cover his tuition can he be considered a walkon? Since the Davis brothers are twins can we only count them as one scholarship if only one of them dessses for each game?

Dec 21, 2017, 2:10 PM

Everybody probably not as knowledgeable of the NCAA rule books as you are, and they just want to come up with a reasoning that could make room if we needed to. The best way to learn, is to ask about what you know nothing about. It has always worked for me, and I'm sure that it has for Bareftn also!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have 11 spots already. 9 SRs + Hearn + Trapp

Dec 21, 2017, 2:35 PM

There's plenty more attrition to come.

Wilkins is gone, Ferrell is likely gone given the 1st round projection, i think Cain will leave, Hyatt is still deciding but may very well leave, and Bryant might go as well. Who knows, maybe more. I think at least 4 of those guys will leave to put as at 15 spots open, and that meets our current needs with the guys that signed Wednesday.

And then there will be more transfers. Hard to say who or how many (and people here always get mad when you speculate), but it wouldn't be surprising if 1 QB and/or 1 RB transferred, and perhaps a certain WR.

I think 17+ spots open is a safe bet.

Re: We have 11 spots already. 9 SRs + Hearn + Trapp

Dec 21, 2017, 3:29 PM

I would bet a $20 dollar gold piece that as of this moment, Dabo knows the exact number of spaces we have open, even with the maybe's that guys have told him that they wasn't sure yet!!!

9 seniors

Dec 21, 2017, 2:52 PM

+ Trapp
+ Cote (got scholarship from being walk-on)
+ Hearn
+ Van Smith considering going pro
+ Jalen Williams who has a degree and might transfer...he could stay but who knows
+ Cain who sounds like he is gone

= 15

that's perfect for where we are right now. but we are after Ross, Bookie, and a few others.

I think we get to 18-19 bc I think that

Wilkins is gone
Austin Bryant is gone
Ferrell is gone

= 18

and if Hyatt does well in playoffs and gets a 1st round grade he might be gone too

= 19

Re: 9 seniors

Dec 21, 2017, 3:14 PM

Wilkins is definitely gone. IMO this was decided before the season began. Dabo only takes seniors or underclassmen that are planning to go pro after the upcoming season to the ACC preseason media day. Wilkins went this year.

Cain should not go imo. I think he needs vastly improve his ability to make contested catches to play in the league. I don’t recall him making a contested catch or 50/50 ball all season.

I think Hyatt will go because he at worst will be a second round pick if he comes out this year. Not sure another year at clemson is going to change his draft status.

I agree on Cain's weakness, but I don't know if that's

Dec 21, 2017, 5:15 PM

going to stop him from leaving.

Re: 9 seniors

Dec 21, 2017, 3:35 PM [ in reply to 9 seniors ]

Clelin Ferrell is a RS Sophomore, I'm betting that he stays!!!

Hold this thread

Dec 21, 2017, 3:15 PM

As I walk away

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last Year we had 6 transfers coming off a NC.

Dec 21, 2017, 3:23 PM

You never know, but Dabo should have a pretty good idea by the end of January.

About Jake, there's always a difference between being a scholarship player and a walk on. It would be extremely unfair to take that status away from a young man because of who his father is. Manage your number to the amount of transfers and graduates you have.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Last Year we had 6 transfers coming off a NC.

Dec 21, 2017, 3:39 PM

At this point of this thread, I think that the Jake Venables discussion is moot, just saying!!!

Re: Last Year we had 6 transfers coming off a NC.

Dec 21, 2017, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Last Year we had 6 transfers coming off a NC. ]

I ain't Dabo and ain't qualified to speak for him, but I think I know what he would say. Pulling a scholly from one of our signers yesterday, AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. He would also say anyone that signs after yesterday will be window dressing. He would also say that they all had the opportunity to sign with us yesterday and chose to wait. If there is not a place for them it is their fault not ours.

Message was edited by: gunstock15®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Try that and there will be a need for BV's get back man***

Dec 21, 2017, 4:02 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Try that and there will be a need for BV's get back man***

Dec 21, 2017, 6:25 PM

I’m betting 1 or 2 QBs transfer and probably a RB also.

I too believe Cain would benefit from another year but look who’s breathing down his heck on the depth chart. Even if he stays, I don’t think he can hold off Overton and Higgins. I don’t think he’s an ideal fit at the 9 and those guys are. I think he would be better at the 5.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic