Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships

Aug 13, 2020, 6:36 PM

NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships

Editor's note: The NCAA decision does not apply to FBS football teams like Clemson. NCAA President Mark Emmert said on Thursday that the NCAA will not hold DI f Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was going to lay big bucks on the PAC-12

Aug 13, 2020, 6:47 PM

Winning water polo

Guess that’s out

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It looks like the ACC is going to delay at least till late Sep

Aug 13, 2020, 7:08 PM

September at this point. Every conference is going to have a different start time and realistically a different season and player development.

This is another time NCAA leadership could have been really useful. Getting every conference on the same page and delaying together would have been the right move. Maybe the northwest needs a few more weeks, we can make that work. Maybe the northeast is concerned about temperatures for winter games, we can work around that. The NCAA had an opportunity form a collective front and shoulder the blame/responsibility away from individual colleges on these hard decisions. But they handed it off to ADs and presidents, where at least in my mind severely tarnish any season results. If we play September -> December and another conference plays December->March and another plays January -> April, how do you have a national champion? Wait and let Clemson be out of conditioning and preparing for the draft in late spring? Let a team that's 4 games deep go to the playoffs?

Its a cluster.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It looks like the ACC is going to delay at least till late Sep

Aug 13, 2020, 7:22 PM

I have already ruled the number 1 team as 2020 National Champions!! Clemson has won its 4th Championship!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Aug 13, 2020, 8:30 PM

I really approve of your thinking on this one! +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: It looks like the ACC is going to delay at least till late Sep ]

Yeah, like the old days. Whoever is number one at the end of the season is the National Champ.

RE:

Aug 14, 2020, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: It looks like the ACC is going to delay at least till late Sep ]

Why not? According to UCF, you don't have to be awarded a national championship by any service to claim one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Aug 13, 2020, 7:28 PM [ in reply to It looks like the ACC is going to delay at least till late Sep ]

Or getting every conference on the same page and NOT delaying together. Why is the premise always one sided?

lol

Aug 13, 2020, 7:58 PM

nm

This is stupid.

Aug 13, 2020, 7:49 PM

They say that fall sports won’t have championships because you can’t have a lot of teams not participating, but that this doesn’t apply to FBS football.

Why is football exempt? Why would a football championship with only a partial number of teams participating be valid, but not any other sport?

Oh that’s right, because football makes money.

Good luck coming out looking like you care about health and safety when you do stuff like this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: This is stupid.

Aug 13, 2020, 8:46 PM

I assumed this meant because the NCAA does not control/own the CFP. Separate program.

Aug 13, 2020, 9:38 PM [ in reply to This is stupid. ]

It is stupid, and you're right. But it's not about all the bucks, it's about the most important "championship" in all of sports - the College Football National Championship! Where would this country be without it? Cmon' man, straighten up and fly right!

Go Tigers!!!

You’re right, it is a great championship and college football is great.

Aug 13, 2020, 9:49 PM

I’m just becoming a bit jaded because of all the dollars involved, the entitled players, and the political crap.

I feel that the student in student-athlete is gradually being minimized. It seems less about representing your school as an amateur, and more about being a celebrity and making it to the NFL. It really cheapens the whole idea of college sports.

For me, the schools are more important than the teams. I care more about Clemson University than I do Clemson football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Judge, I naturally 'assume' you're always jaded.

Aug 14, 2020, 12:09 AM

Especially if it's not a story showcasing basketball.

#CLEMSONFOOTBALL > #basketball

Thanks for sharing.***

Aug 14, 2020, 8:20 AM

Aug 14, 2020, 9:27 AM [ in reply to This is stupid. ]

It's because the NCAA does not control the college football postseason. I thought we all knew that.

Nope, not everyone here knew that.

Aug 14, 2020, 2:12 PM

Including me.

What's the reason for the NCAA not controlling it? Seems that the should, since they oversee championships for all other sports.

History

Aug 17, 2020, 11:13 AM

Back "in the day", the final polls and the national champion were selected *before* bowl games. Bowls were more or less exhibition games designed to draw tourists to town. Bowls grew in importance and prestige, and several conferences had lucrative tie-ins to specific bowls. In a nutshell, by the time a championship postseason became important, the bowl system was too powerful for the NCAA to dislodge.

(The AP poll didn't move their final poll until post-bowls until 1968, and UPI until 1974.)

Because....FOOTBALL

Aug 13, 2020, 8:01 PM

is king.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know a lot of people on here don't care for Walt,but he

Aug 13, 2020, 8:08 PM

read an article today about Mark Emmert....and, well, let's just say he has a lot of very questionable history....

Re: I know a lot of people on here don't care for Walt,but he

Aug 13, 2020, 8:34 PM

There you go again, Spud. Reading and doing research are not necessary, nor wanted by many folks on this board. (Just Kidding, for all you folks out there with no sense of humor).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships-yes

Aug 13, 2020, 8:49 PM

Emmert said. "We want to make it work for the students." But yet they didnt care if athletes at UNC were students. What a worthless biased incompetent organization he runs

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The schools, alum, fans, players and staff need to

Aug 14, 2020, 1:11 AM

reach down and grabs their stones. They need to realize that the power lies with them and NOT the NCAA. There can be college athletics without the NCAA and the Conferences as well. But there cannot be an NCAA without college athletics. If a couple of the big, big money schools give the NCAA the finger, the rest will follow.

I've been saying since before they voted on Conference only, that Clemson v USC, should happen despite what anyone says. The entire state needs to band together with both schools, the legislature, and give a great big screw you to anyone that opposed. Even if the NCAA or Cinferences won't allow it or won't recognize it, we can "scrimmage" and do a Neutral site. It might never show in the NCAAs records or may have an asterisk next to it but amongst fans and inside the state it will. This game has been played far too many consecutive years, to just throw it away because of the overblown situation we are experiencing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 14, 2020, 1:11 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships-yes ]

reach down and grabs their stones. They need to realize that the power lies with them and NOT the NCAA. There can be college athletics without the NCAA and the Conferences as well. But there cannot be an NCAA without college athletics. If a couple of the big, big money schools give the NCAA the finger, the rest will follow.

I've been saying since before they voted on Conference only, that Clemson v USC, should happen despite what anyone says. The entire state needs to band together with both schools, the legislature, and give a great big screw you to anyone that opposed. Even if the NCAA or Cinferences won't allow it or won't recognize it, we can "scrimmage" and do a Neutral site. It might never show in the NCAAs records or may have an asterisk next to it but amongst fans and inside the state it will. This game has been played far too many consecutive years, to just throw it away because of the overblown situation we are experiencing.

Jun 23, 2021, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships-yes ]

Aug 14, 2020, 1:11 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: NCAA President rules out D1 fall championships-yes ]

'7' eh...? Do you intend on posting everything 7x...? ;~)***

Aug 14, 2020, 1:55 AM

Look man. He just wants someone to reach down and grab some stones.

Aug 14, 2020, 5:29 AM

Is that so bad?XD

Look man. He just wants someone to reach down and grab some stones.

Aug 14, 2020, 5:30 AM [ in reply to '7' eh...? Do you intend on posting everything 7x...? ;~)*** ]

Is that so bad?XD

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic