Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern

Feb 12, 2019, 9:25 AM

Is so 2015, please use your snowflake powers to whimper or protest about something new. I’m pretty sure in the 80s we didn’t protest the Vietnam war. Jeeez

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern

Feb 12, 2019, 9:40 AM

:) Actually, Jane Fonda came to CLEMSON to protest the Vietnam War in the 80's. I chose not to attend that protest on our campus. I considered her a traitor to America.

That being said - I'm very tired of hearing all the griping, moaning, and complaining about CLEMSON. I love CLEMSON, and am offended when people try to tear down our traditions or disrespect our history. History cannot be changed, so deal with it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually Jane Fonda came in the late 1960s..

Feb 12, 2019, 11:29 AM

She was a nut case but she sure looked hot...

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Actually Jane Fonda came in the late 1960s..

Feb 12, 2019, 4:22 PM

I was there for her visit to the amphitheater too.

Feb 12, 2019, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern ]

She came to Clemson in the early 70’s for a speech in the amphitheater which she didn’t finish because of the jeers and booing. I think she was generally considered a traitor and POS!

Feb 12, 2019, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern ]

War was over in 75.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern ]

Actually, she was there in the early 70's, giving a speech in the amphitheater. I listened to her a little as I was walking over to the physics bldg. Just the same vitriol she gave anywhere else. It was all rancor and very little substance. As Nixon was getting us out of Nam, who really cared.

Feb 12, 2019, 9:51 AM

situational irony: broflake inspired to post about how people protesting are snowflakes. Grow up.

Feb 12, 2019, 10:16 AM

The whiners can always go to another school. No one is begging them to stay here. Plenty of students are waiting in line to get accepted to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 4:44 PM

Exactly....if you don’t like it here you are welcome to leave........and don’t let the door hit you in the rear end........maybe you would like it better in Cuba or Venezuela ....so go give it a try.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Feb 12, 2019, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern ]

Since when is having an opinion considered whining?
(Using that logic) Wouldn't that mean your whining about others you consider to be whiners...??

Check Meter Bee Bop Boop Beep***

Feb 12, 2019, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Hey clueless Students...The Calhoun Concern ]

Vlastimil_hort, thank you! This board has far too many people who say they love everything Clemson...yet ##### about students, coaches, players, professors administration and etc.

Respectful criticism is fine but it's often name calling and hateful. It gets old after awhile.

Peoples wuz smrt in the 80s. They made kick ####

Feb 12, 2019, 10:16 AM

Movies about the Vietnam war instead.

Missing in action 1-3
Rambo 1-2
Full metal jacket
Platoon leader
Miss Saigon
Top gun
Red dawn
Deer hunter

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Peoples wuz smrt in the 80s. They made kick ####

Feb 12, 2019, 10:24 AM

The history of Clemson University and the founder is public knowledge. If anyone doesn't agree, stay away.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't recall Porky's 1or2 having anything to do with the war in

Feb 12, 2019, 10:28 AM

Vietnam..but I can't say for sure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It's a public university***

Feb 12, 2019, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Peoples wuz smrt in the 80s. They made kick #### ]

Re: Peoples wuz smrt in the 80s. They made kick ####

Feb 12, 2019, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Peoples wuz smrt in the 80s. They made kick #### ]

John C Calhoun had nothing to do with the founding of Clemson and would not be a factor except he left his estate to his daughter whose husband willed it to the state with very strict stipulations that it be used to educate the citizenry of South Carolina in the arts of agriculture and mechanics (engineering) and that it be named Clemson. Had he wanted to so honor his father-in-law, we would have all attended Calhoun University (or College). In some of my reading, John C. comes over as a mean and vengeful man who was not very much liked by his contemporaries but rose to power based upon his wealth, intellect and sway over the southern states. His only connection to Clemson seems to be that his home is on the campus.

Is it right to honor his memory in some way because he was a Vice-President from S.C.? Yes. Is it right for some students to question the naming of their Honors College in his honor because of his not only being a slave owner but also a most staunch supporter of the institution? Again, yes. The subject should be vigorously debated and a sound decision made based upon the weights of the argument on each side. Remember, these are smart kids and they didn't get where they are by being slackers. They are at Clemson to think and explore and hopefully one day lead this state and nation. I could never have dreamed of studying in their select company but highly respect their ambition and determination. Please don't put them down on this forum where many of us can't compose a coherent paragraph.

The debate belongs somewhere besides an athletic discussion forum (and if there, then in the Amphitheater).

I had to google to know what this was about, but there's no

Feb 12, 2019, 11:02 AM

good reason anything on campus needs to be named for John Calhoun or Ben Tillman. It's not about rewriting history; it's about honoring people and values that are representative of the Clemson University of today.

Re: I had to google to know what this was about, but there's no

Feb 12, 2019, 11:22 AM

Then that's re-writing history....guess some don't get that. The Clemson campus is built on the plantation grounds of Calhoun. Wouldn't it be re-writing history to act like it isn't?? Fort Hill is the John C Calhoun mansion, which is on campus...that's also the name of the color white Clemson uses in its primary colors.

Remember that come this Fall when you want to go

Feb 12, 2019, 11:30 AM [ in reply to I had to google to know what this was about, but there's no ]

sit in Death Valley. This was all Calhoun's land. I'm sure you'll be principled enough to not come back again, especially since you'd have to see his house up on the hill. Or do you want to burn that to ground?

Of course you'll have to change the name of the University also. Thomas Green Clemson was a slave-owning Yankee who served in the Confederate States Army to mine gunpowder. Are you proposing that too?

And Pickens and Anderson counties' names ouhgt to go, not to mention our State Flag since it's a Confederate Flag, designed by secessionists in 1860. Might as well tear down old George Washington's statue down in Cootville.

Dang, we've got a lot of work to do to erase history. Maybe we can get some old Soviets to help us out. They were really good at airbrushing out history they didn't like.

TG Clemson was a saint compared to Calhoun & Tillman

Feb 12, 2019, 12:09 PM

Re: TG Clemson was a saint compared to Calhoun & Tillman

Feb 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

Will you change your last name if you find out your great great grandfather was completely in line with the attitude and thinking of those two gentlemen?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember that come this Fall when you want to go

Feb 12, 2019, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Remember that come this Fall when you want to go ]

Really, you need to Google the history of our state flag. You'll find it came from a regimental flag of the Revolution. Find out how Sgt Jasper was a part of this history.

Your report is due 9:00 Friday morning.

Feb 12, 2019, 4:12 PM

Remember to include what people say is a crescent moon really represents.

Feb 12, 2019, 6:45 PM

Here's one of the two secession flags. The other was red with a white crescent moon and star. I'm sure there were many others fabricated by our ancestors.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no good reason to change it.

Feb 12, 2019, 12:10 PM [ in reply to I had to google to know what this was about, but there's no ]

If you think the name of a building is holding you back, uz gots bigger problems.

Seems it is getting hard to find stuff to protest these days.
Protest the rising cost of secondary education... that will benefit you waaay more.

Me too..I have 3 kids and one may actually get into clemson.

Re: There's no good reason to change it.

Feb 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

Appreciate those sentiments. My son got into Clemson and did not attend. Said it was his life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So...who gets to decide? And how frequently would names change?

Feb 12, 2019, 6:36 PM [ in reply to I had to google to know what this was about, but there's no ]

This could get confusing...

Feb 12, 2019, 11:17 AM

Move to P & R board please>>>>

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't get why people come to a school and then

Feb 12, 2019, 12:26 PM

Segregation is part of Clemson history too***

Feb 12, 2019, 12:40 PM

Re: Segregation is part of Clemson history too***

Feb 12, 2019, 1:11 PM

They better worry about graduating. They r spoil and really their ask kicked. Hers something to worry about. My first day at Clemson shake hand with man on rt shake hand man on left. Four yrs from now one of you will graduate. To hell with something that happen before you whiny askes were born

Feb 12, 2019, 4:40 PM

English major?

Feb 12, 2019, 5:24 PM

That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day. ??

Feb 12, 2019, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Segregation is part of Clemson history too*** ]

I do wish some would atleast acknowledge the tremendous progress that has been accomplished the past 50yrs while the names of buildings remained unchanged. From that perspective I question if these reminders of past history have had any significant impact holding back the ideals and culture that Clemson now upholds.

Feb 12, 2019, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Segregation is part of Clemson history too*** ]

segregation is part of US history, it did not just happen in the South

I blame it all on the parents and grandparents.***

Feb 12, 2019, 2:22 PM

As a student, my protest was over

Feb 12, 2019, 6:08 PM

having to go to class, do homework, and what was it with all those dang tests?
Clemson was still great, but it would have been a lot better if they followed my vision.
Even with all of that, my time there was still the best seven years of my life!

Maybe these yank snowflakes coming down here

Feb 12, 2019, 7:11 PM

and whining should do more research about the school they plan to attend.. before stepping foot on to Calhouns land? I really hate to break it these poor snowflakes.. but absolutely nothing will be done. No changes will be made. just like last time.. and the next time after this... Go ahead and have your little protests and sit ins like last time. Feel free to hit the "transfer portal" back outta here. To answer someones question.. yeah thats exactly what they want. They have admitted they want to tear down Fort Hill they would attempt to have the name changed from Clemson and so many other awful things.

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic