Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

TNET: DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever

Sep 8, 2020, 12:46 PM

DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever

A member 'WRU' is getting a historic payday. Arizona Cardinals receiver DeAndre Hopkins has agreed to a two-year, $54.5 million extension guaranteed, per multip Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a year for this guy!

Sep 8, 2020, 12:50 PM

First, he finds out he’ll no longer be haunted by the ghost of Ben Tillman.

Now this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What a year for this guy!

Sep 8, 2020, 1:03 PM

smart man bypassing an agent. Looks like he has set himself up to cash out with Arizona but not lock himself into a long term deal where he would be stuck.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and Coach BOB still looks like an idiot of letting him go***

Sep 8, 2020, 1:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

BOB chose wisely when he picked Watson over Hopkins,

Sep 8, 2020, 1:37 PM

there's no way they could pay them both

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, but he should've been able to get about twice

Sep 8, 2020, 2:09 PM

that much value for Hopkins. It was still a joke of a trade.

Doesn't belie the fact that Hopkins HAD to be moved, whine

Sep 8, 2020, 2:57 PM

about what they got back all you want, but the Texans had to jettison him

Well it didn't help that the Vikings got a 1st, 5th and 6th

Sep 9, 2020, 8:08 AM

for Stefon Diggs + a 7th a day or two later.

Houston got a 2nd round pick, a 4th round pick swap that favors Arizona (2020 vs 2021), and David Johnson's bad contract. Most people i read/listen to that cover the NFL considered Johnson to have negative trade value, and if Houston's goal was to free up cap space to extend DW4, then taking on a seemingly washed-up RB on a big contract seems counter-productive.

Regardless of whether Houston needed to move on from Nuk, I don't see how you can spin this as being anything other than a terrible trade by Houston.

Never said it was a good trade for Houston, just a necessary

Sep 10, 2020, 12:51 AM

one...They HAD to move on, truth hurts

worth it. He's been the best NFL WR for the past 5 years

Sep 8, 2020, 1:07 PM

Micheal Thomas is great too but his number largely can be contributed to a high octane offense that is ran by a HOF QB who has always accumulated big yards in the passing game. Houston Texans have never had any identity on offense. Deshaun is trying to create one but i mean....its an up hill battle. Julio Jones has been on some pretty good pass first offenses too with good runnign games. Not Houston. They had Arian Foster that one year that was pretty good but that was short lived adn the QB at the time was Schaub who was still fixated on Andre Johnson. so...pound for pound, best in the NFL IMO.

Re: TNET: DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever

Sep 8, 2020, 1:10 PM

What a shame that Hopkins and Watson will not play together. Texans made a foolish decision!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

think how much he is saving with no agent

Sep 8, 2020, 1:19 PM

wonder why more dont do this

Re: think how much he is saving with no agent

Sep 8, 2020, 1:34 PM

The NFL caps an agent’s fee at a max of 3% of the contract. Nuke saved potentially 1.5 million from his contract pay.
Agents can make 10-20% off of endorsements that they arrange. This part can either hurt or help Nuk., depending on his ability to acquire endorsements.

He can still use Lawyers to help sort out endorsements -

Sep 8, 2020, 1:54 PM

surely he had some lawyers write or approve the contract.....

pretty good either way for him Congrats !!!!!

GO TIGERS !!!!

null

most agents go and find endorsements tho but in his case

Sep 8, 2020, 1:56 PM

i think he's getting swamped with offers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NUK will be fine even if he gets ZERO endorsements***

Sep 8, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: think how much he is saving with no agent ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: think how much he is saving with no agent

Sep 8, 2020, 11:32 PM [ in reply to Re: think how much he is saving with no agent ]

dave,

I didn't know about the 3%. I always figured 10 - 15. Thanks for the info.

Because agents are better at negotiating deals than

Sep 8, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to think how much he is saving with no agent ]

the average player.

Sep 8, 2020, 1:59 PM

Athlete's salaries are out of control. Look up the highest paid athletes and many are soccer players and it is just crazy. Yesterday, DJ earned $15 million for winning the FedEx Cup and in a regular year that is crazy but in a shortened year, that is ridiculous. Where does this end and what are our values as a society?

Hey TL16 is telling us who to vote for,

Sep 8, 2020, 2:06 PM

what protocols should and should not be used in the technical aspects of Policing,

what 5-step plan is necessary tom fix society, and also

what is required to extinguish our Whiteness appropriately.

I'd say if TL16 can do all that as a 20 year-old, then these Sports figures are a special breed that need to Idolized and Glorified.

I know I threw out my Bible this morning, plus my 7-Habits of Successful People from Covey, AND my How to win Friends book by Carnegie.

Who needs those any more when we have ThorJesus playing QB?

Re: Hey TL16 is telling us who to vote for,

Sep 8, 2020, 3:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2020, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever ]

Agreed, and teachers, one of the important professions in the world, are barely making $50k a year in most states. Something is definitely wrong!

I understand where you are coming from and i agree that

Sep 8, 2020, 2:18 PM

teachers are underpaid, but there are close to 4 million teachers in the US and only a few thousand professional athletes.

Re: I understand where you are coming from and i agree that

Sep 8, 2020, 9:04 PM

Thank you!

4M teachers at $50k a year and you get $200B spent on teacher salaries annually. Now I agree with you that we should pay teachers more, but it is always good to calibrate ourselves.

It’s simple really. The athletes are responsible for

Sep 9, 2020, 4:54 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever ]

Generating billions in revenue. They get a piece of the pie they bring in. Just like people in sales.

Teachers are paid with our tax dollars. We could double our taxes and pay them huge salaries... I don’t think that would go over to well with voters.

Athletes, musicians, movie stars, etc

Sep 8, 2020, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: DeAndre Hopkins to become highest-paid non-QB ever ]

Its obvious that society places enormous value on entertainment.

Re: Athletes, musicians, movie stars, etc

Sep 8, 2020, 4:00 PM

LOL yep, nobody is paying to go watch teachers teach, and they aren't getting any TV contracts, and that's just the way our world works!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously. People open their wallets for entertainment

Sep 9, 2020, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Athletes, musicians, movie stars, etc ]

The general public is providing them the money

Sep 8, 2020, 2:30 PM

I've watched and enjoyed DeAndre playing both at Clemson and here in Houston for the Texans.

Good for him but this is crazy money. Totally insane!

Professional athletes live in a different galaxy from the rest of us. Just the way it is.

Sep 8, 2020, 3:50 PM

Our coaching staff is doing something right. That is two Tigers within a days of each other to become the highest paid NFL players at their position in the history of the NFL!!! Bring your talent to Clemson, and Clemson coaching staff will help you to be all you can be, and it pays well!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nuuuuuuuuukkkk!!!

Sep 8, 2020, 10:30 PM

Boom! Way to go. Can't think of anyone that takes the craft more seriously than he does. Now set for life, with smarts to boot.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With deficit in program due to Covid, would love to see these 2 step up with a donation.

Sep 9, 2020, 7:27 PM

They need the tax write-off

what do you mean need a tax write off

Sep 10, 2020, 1:15 AM

exactly how does a tax write off help them if they need it? They pay 37% fed tax on money earned. If they earn a million they get to keep $630,000. If they donate a million, they get to keep $0. The only benefit is to the people getting the money not the person giving it. They can give a million without paying any tax on that million or they can pay tax and keep the rest that's left over.

The only advantage for tax purposes is when you sell an asset at a loss and can deduct the loss from gross income. That never happens with wages, wages are always taxed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic