Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hey Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 323

Hey Brownell

Jan 23, 2021, 10:06 PM

#### you

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know. I think he just needs few more years.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:10 PM

What are you doing here on a weekend?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a young team. They’re learning.***

Jan 23, 2021, 10:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:18 PM

This fan thing is getting easier every year.

This is what I don’t get.....

Jan 23, 2021, 10:31 PM

We’re paying Brad $2.5M a year. $1.5 to $2M more is the rate for a Bob Huggins/Rick Barnes/Jay Wright level coach. Why not just pay it and stop this farce? We’ll spend $2M this year to re-turf the putt putt course at the football complex—-why do we act like we’re struggling to keep the lights on when it comes to paying for a decent BB program?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do understand that. But there is one other aspect.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:46 PM

It’s more than money to attract a coach. Clemson has sold their soul for football. We don’t mind ultimately. And that’s why we don’t demand better. Honestly, I am more willing to give Brownell a pass this season than I was in other seasons. Covid has changed the process. It would be nice to see Radakovich demand the highest quality out of every coach. But he and most fans (sometimes including me) have bought into the ACC basketball blue bloods at the top ideology. We’re just lucky to be here. But the truth is, there’s no reason why we can’t recruit and coach enough athletes to at least make it to the tourney every year. Might not ever be a blue blood. But we could do better. But if we always think we’re doing our best, then this is the best we will do.

It’s par for the course at Clemson.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:54 PM

Our AD budget was $75M in 2014 and has almost doubled since then. Meanwhile we are saving $1.5M a year against competitive good Bball coach salaries and crossing our pinkies every year that he doesn’t plummet mid season, and cutting a track program that has been incredibly successful to save another $2M/year.

Your long lasting, dynastic university athletic programs take a moment like we are having and invest it in all the programs to have success across all programs—-Dan is cashing out all the other programs and doubling down on football.

Classic CEO bullcrap.

Jan 23, 2021, 11:07 PM

He’s running a business and we are winning. But as a whole the quality of the company is going down. Nobody seems to notice. When it all goes down, he’ll jump out safely with his nice parachute. But as far as ADs are concerned, we are fortunate. We could’ve gone the route that Tennessee went. Pick all the emotion and hope it works out. In the end, they put the finishing touches on every aspect of their athletic program this year. I’m not sure they can ever recover. Their done. Clemson is still in the game when it comes to basketball and baseball. Plus we’re in the playoffs every year for football.

Is it possible that at Clemson football has so much

Jan 23, 2021, 11:20 PM [ in reply to It’s par for the course at Clemson. ]

potential for revenue variability in football, while bball is comparatively fixed?

For football:
- 10,000 season tickets will bring about $5 Million in revenue (add more for iptay, etc, maybe that much again?)
- We are mostly responsible for the football portion of the conference TV contract
- Football notoriety brings more non athletic revenue than bball (I'm guessing).

Bball:
- Less season tix sale fluctuation, and less revenue per ticket sold.
- The TV contract doesn't care what we do.
- We would need several Final Fours for people to associate Bball with Clemson

So, lots of money to be won or lost in football, while bball money is what it is. If money were the only issue, Duke or NC would likely trade their bball for our football without thinking about it. Edit: It is not as night/day as I thought. Clemson brings in about 55M in football, Duke and NC about 30M in Bball. That's a lot, but I was expecting more like 65M vs 30M. And Clemson brings only 12M in Bball, so there is potential there.

But yes, it does seem like another million for an upper tier coach is a no brainer unless, as you say, it's been offered and rejected. One final thought is that there is hardly an upper tier bball program that doesn't have some sort of sleaze around it. If that is what it takes, I'm not sure I want it. The UVAs seem to be unicorns.

Message was edited by: CUintulsa®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 323
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic