Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heterophobes riddle me this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Heterophobes riddle me this

May 12, 2014, 6:38 PM

Please explain to me how Michael Sam and the gay community would have been oppressed by NOT showing him and his boyfriend making out on national television.

The bottom line is that his actions were entirely inappropriate for ESPN, and he should be fined or see some form of repercussion for his lewd actions on a SPORTS network.

And yes, a straight couple making out (with cake smeared on their faces nonetheless) for several minutes on ESPN's NFL draft coverage would also be highly inappropriate. But they wouldn't show that anyway, because that's not "heroic."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Heterophobes riddle me this

May 12, 2014, 6:41 PM

Be careful, somebody gonna get you.

Gay mafia... amirite Bill Maher***

May 13, 2014, 5:20 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

I didn't actually see it...but if it was a quick shot

May 12, 2014, 6:43 PM

and not like 2 minutes of straight kissing like I was seeing the beginning of some nude flick...then I see no harm in it.

Most couples would not sit there and make out on TV so if they sat there and did so for a lengthy amount of time, I feel that it was probably more of a publicity stunt than anything...

I do think calling for punishment to him is wrong. ESPN just as easily could have cut the clip short or chose not to have cameras there at all. Their were higher draft picks that didn't get the luxury of being on TV...

Re: I didn't actually see it...but if it was a quick shot

May 12, 2014, 6:49 PM

You are going to offend the Obama supporters on here. Everything is O.K. with them. Everything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except for people that disagree with them. they hate that. that's not OK.**

May 12, 2014, 7:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I didn't actually see it...but if it was a quick shot

May 12, 2014, 7:01 PM [ in reply to I didn't actually see it...but if it was a quick shot ]

I saw the cake part and they kissed for...I think maybe a second? It was a quick kiss.

May 12, 2014, 6:48 PM

I honestly don't believe espn was trying to advance a political agenda by airing what they did... But I do believe they were trying to advance their own. If you look at the coverage since the draft, they've managed to fill a lot of air time and garner attention with the Michael Sam stuff.

ESPN will beat a dead horse until its remains become dust. Why wouldn't they be proactive by creating "news stories" and controversy?

Fits their agenda during otherwise dead time

May 13, 2014, 5:17 PM

Few care about NBA anymore. Most are tired of hearing about the old guy. Most don't care about baseball pre-allstar break.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

LOL, "He should be fined"

May 12, 2014, 6:49 PM

Look, I get the argument that says ESPN shouldn't be showing anyone kissing. I'm not sure that I'd quite call what yous aw lewd, but that's a scale that is surely different from person to person.

So, while I don't agree, at least I understand the anti-ESPN showing it argument. But to suggest HE did something worthy of being fined is laughable.

And doubly so, when you ask the question "fined by who?" He wasn't an employee of the NFL yet (as if they're gonna go around fining folks for kissing on TV). So who exactly should "fine" him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL, "He should be fined"

May 12, 2014, 7:45 PM

So an NFL player voicing their opinion on the matter (which happens to oppose the seemingly popular backing of Michael Sam) gets fined, but nothing happens to Sam? By the way, his tweets on the matter were "OMG" and "horrible."

He was just drafted by the Rams, the NFL could absolutely fine him.

I"m not agreeing with the NFL fining the Dolphin

May 12, 2014, 8:17 PM

However there are facets to his contract that evidently allow that.

Having just been drafted, there was no contract with Michael Sam to allow him to be fined.

That's even granting that the NFl would ever (or should ever) fine someone for kissing their partner. Which is sheer insanity unless you simply just want to make the argument that two guys kissing should be fined where other couples wouldn't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 12, 2014, 6:50 PM

"The bottom line is that his actions were entirely inappropriate for ESPN,"

I laughed so hard I just shot beer out of my nose, and I have been sober for 2 years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Look, you show me a clip of Bowman's knee expoloding

May 12, 2014, 7:04 PM

and I'm cool, all cool, but a quick celebratory peck between 2 dudes is gross.

Re: Look, you show me a clip of Bowman's knee expoloding

May 12, 2014, 7:46 PM

It was not "one quick celebratory peck."

edit: and also one of those is a part of the sport. I don't know of any major sports where tongue punching another participant's throat is a part of the game

Message was edited by: dirtysteve864®

May 12, 2014, 7:03 PM

Is this a serious post?

If I remember correctly, the kisses certainly weren't "making out" and it didn't last for several minutes...did you just keep rewinding it so you could watch again? If so, then yea, it probably lasted for several minutes.

Don't you even tivo slow mo bro?

May 12, 2014, 7:05 PM

That's the only way to watch something as outrageous as this. I've got mine set for the kiss to last over 3 hours. That way may rage builds to appropriate levels.

You just of missed the cake part, the initial hug and kiss

May 12, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Heterophobes riddle me this ]

You are right, then came the cake and the rest came

The dolphins really need to get a grip and retract the fine

May 12, 2014, 7:05 PM

And suspension of the dude that tweeted "omg" it's getting out if hand.

Why

May 12, 2014, 7:09 PM

Don't you believe in Capitalism?

Gays can kiss on TV but if you disagree you get punished.

May 12, 2014, 7:24 PM [ in reply to The dolphins really need to get a grip and retract the fine ]

What is happening to our country? Tim Tebow was crucified by the press for speaking his religious convictions.

America is in a heap of trouble. Glad I still read my Bible!

Tim Tebow makes bank because of his views

May 12, 2014, 7:29 PM

Hang me up on that cross.

Re: Gays can kiss on TV but if you disagree you get punished.

May 12, 2014, 7:29 PM [ in reply to Gays can kiss on TV but if you disagree you get punished. ]

Who crucified Tebow? The dude was universally loved and still is to this day.

He is so hated

May 12, 2014, 7:32 PM

That he get's paid huge sums of money for talking at Christian retreats and ESPN hired him as talking head.

That's a level of hatred I can not even fathom. He get's paid more than any of us to talk about God and football. Poor guy.

The media

May 12, 2014, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Gays can kiss on TV but if you disagree you get punished. ]

There's a pretty long paper trail of Tebow bashing by people who didn't like him (because he was Christian).
It's a matter of record.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The media

May 13, 2014, 10:47 AM

I never saw that record.

I'm sure some people took shots at him, but it was certainly not to the level the Sam thing has been. Tebow is almost universally loved.

May 12, 2014, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Gays can kiss on TV but if you disagree you get punished. ]

The only hate Tebow ever got was for his “fan base” insisting he was being held back for his beliefs instead of the fact that he was just a crappy NFL quarterback. He was asked to switch positions more than once and refused so didn’t make it in the league. He was then promptly picked up by ESPN and is still getting paid big bucks to be involved with the sport he loves. If that is being “crucified”, sign me up.

I’d take that over the treatment Sam has had to put up with/will be subject to any day of the week.

May 12, 2014, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Gays can kiss on TV but if you disagree you get punished. ]

The problem with the country is everyone thinking they know what is best for everyone else. This should not even be an issue. Who cares that a couple guys kissed. I hope espn cuts to the next gay draft pick in the middle of a KY wrestling match while blasting YMCA and burning a bible so we can see some more fun comments.

May 12, 2014, 7:12 PM

The fault lies with ESPN..... he is a 7th round pic, there was no need to be there with constant coverage.....

I am amazed that Sams said they didn't want his sexuality to be an issue. With that scene and constant ESecPN coverage, you made your sexuality an issue.

To me he and his little boyfriend got what they wanted out of their 15 minutes of fame.

I wonder if Obama sent Tim Tebow a message because of his stance on sexuality and marriage?

May 12, 2014, 7:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHkGHfx1An4

who said stuff that is not shown on tv

May 12, 2014, 7:17 PM

Is oppression?
I don't think oppression is the topic your are looKing for. Equality m

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: who said stuff that is not shown on tv

May 12, 2014, 8:08 PM

The liberal media is spinning this event as a "heroic" Michael Sam overcoming oppression

not because of a kiss***

May 12, 2014, 8:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Was this "lewd" and "inappropriate"?

May 12, 2014, 7:21 PM

> The bottom line is that his actions were entirely
> inappropriate for ESPN, and he should be fined or see
> some form of repercussion for his lewd actions on a
> SPORTS network.

I assume that you wrote to ESPN to let them know how "lewd" and "inappropriate" this was? There are many more examples, so I hope you've been letting them know every time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08rirsA8YaM

Re: Was this "lewd" and "inappropriate"?

May 12, 2014, 8:07 PM

I didn't happen to watch the 2011 NBA Draft

Which does not answer his question.***

May 12, 2014, 8:20 PM

Re: Which does not answer his question.***

May 12, 2014, 9:59 PM

No, I did not let ESPN know about that, nor did I let them know about this. What's your point?

His question was whether you thought it lewd***

May 12, 2014, 10:19 PM

Re: His question was whether you thought it lewd***

May 12, 2014, 10:30 PM

Inappropriate, sure. I wouldn't use the word lewd in this case.

I didn't see it...

May 12, 2014, 7:42 PM

was it hot?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In what world was that making out?

Bet you spent a lot of Friday nights at Cooper.

Re: In what world was that making out?

May 12, 2014, 8:07 PM

I'd rather spend them in cooper than watching two men getting after it. What's your point?

His point is that there was no "making out"

May 12, 2014, 8:19 PM

Which typically includes more than two folks kissing each other a few times.

Re: His point is that there was no "making out"

May 12, 2014, 10:00 PM

Splitting hairs

You also condemned MTV and the music awards in 2003, right?***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You also condemned MTV and the music awards in 2013, right?***

May 12, 2014, 8:06 PM

MTV is not a sports network

Do you turn the TV off during the commercials on ESPN?

May 12, 2014, 8:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0PLjKOOuK8

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you turn the TV off during the commercials on ESPN?

May 12, 2014, 10:00 PM

No, but I typically don't watch them

So music gay is ok. Sports gay, no way?***

May 12, 2014, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: You also condemned MTV and the music awards in 2013, right?*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So music gay is ok. Sports gay, no way?***

May 13, 2014, 5:03 PM

MTV isn't a music channel, it's an entertainment channel where airing something of this nature could be expected. It hasn't been about music in years. This is not about whether or not it's ok to be gay, it's about a sports network going out of its way to air it on national television during the NFL draft.

I can help you out here . . .

May 12, 2014, 8:11 PM

Please explain to me how Michael Sam and the gay community would have been oppressed by NOT showing him and his boyfriend making out on national television.

They wouldn't have been oppressed by merely not showing it. They would have been oppressed had they shown players kissing their wives and girlfriends but had not shown Sam kissing his boyfriend because they are gay and/or it's a man kissing a man.

The bottom line is that his actions were entirely inappropriate for ESPN, and he should be fined or see some form of repercussion for his lewd actions on a SPORTS network.

It's a matter of opinion whether or not people kissing on the lips is inappropriate for ESPN, but most people would probably say it's not. I didn't watch the entire draft, but I'd bet that Sam wasn't the only player that kissed somebody, and nobody is or would have complained about that. Lewd actions? Sirriusly? Now that's funny.

And yes, a straight couple making out (with cake smeared on their faces nonetheless) for several minutes on ESPN's NFL draft coverage would also be highly inappropriate. But they wouldn't show that anyway, because that's not "heroic."

Sam and his boyfriend were not making out, much less for several minutes. And what Sam is doing is truly heroic for a group of people who have been bullied, discriminated against, and denied opportunities for stupid reasons for a long, long time.

Let's not pretend here. For many of the people who object to this, they do so simply because they don't like gay people or don't approve of their behavior for one reason or another, yet they reach to find some other kind of reasonable sounding explanation to justify it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Well said.***

May 12, 2014, 8:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I can help you out here . . .

May 12, 2014, 10:12 PM [ in reply to I can help you out here . . . ]

> They wouldn't have been oppressed by merely not
> showing it. They would have been oppressed had they
> shown players kissing their wives and girlfriends but
> had not shown Sam kissing his boyfriend because they
> are gay and/or it's a man kissing a man.

Did they?

> It's a matter of opinion whether or not people
> kissing on the lips is inappropriate for ESPN, but
> most people would probably say it's not. I didn't
> watch the entire draft, but I'd bet that Sam wasn't
> the only player that kissed somebody, and nobody is
> or would have complained about that. Lewd actions?
> Sirriusly? Now that's funny.

So, if you were watching the NFL draft with your children, it would be 100% appropriate for them to watch ESPN to focus on the gay 7th round selection show PDA with his partner? Not once, but multiple times?

> Sam and his boyfriend were not making out, much less
> for several minutes. And what Sam is doing is truly
> heroic for a group of people who have been bullied,
> discriminated against, and denied opportunities for
> stupid reasons for a long, long time.

Alright, but their coverage did last several minutes. And I completely disagree that he is a hero. He is extremely likely not the first gay football player, and before he announced to the world his orientation, his teammates knew at Missouri. Whoopdy doo, they didn't oppress him. Nobody really cares, he was selfish when he announced it to the world and he got the attention he wanted from it. Now he set himself up to be rich and famous for a long time. Who wants to cut a guy who has the entire liberal media at his fingertips? Smart move by Sam.

> Let's not pretend here. For many of the people who
> object to this, they do so simply because they don't
> like gay people or don't approve of their behavior
> for one reason or another, yet they reach to find
> some other kind of reasonable sounding explanation to
> justify it.

Surely. Look, I honestly don't care about anybody's sexual orientation. I care about how it's being pushed as an agenda and everyone who isn't on board is bashed as a "homophobe." If the liberals want to push for equality, then they have to do their part.

May 12, 2014, 11:40 PM

Did they?

No - who said they did? Not me. I don't think anybody did. I was merely answering your question " Please explain to me how Michael Sam and the gay community would have been oppressed by NOT showing him and his boyfriend making out on national television?"

So, if you were watching the NFL draft with your children, it would be 100% appropriate for them to watch ESPN to focus on the gay 7th round selection show PDA with his partner? Not once, but multiple times?

I certainly don't think it's inappropriate, in a moral sense.

Alright, but their coverage did last several minutes.

Yes - I didn't claim otherwise. So?

And I completely disagree that he is a hero.

Okay - that's cool.

He is extremely likely not the first gay football player, and before he announced to the world his orientation, his teammates knew at Missouri. Whoopdy doo, they didn't oppress him.

We know he is not the first gay football player, but he is the first openly gay football player. If you don't understand why that's a big deal, then you are living in a dream world. Nobody has claimed that his teammates oppressed him, and not sure what that has to do with whether or not Sam and his boyfriend were making out or whether or not he is a hero.

Nobody really cares, he was selfish when he announced it to the world and he got the attention he wanted from it. Now he set himself up to be rich and famous for a long time.

You may not care, and that's okay, but if you don't understand that a lot of people do, then again, you are living in a fantasy world. Maybe he did want attention - I can't really say (and neither can you); but like you I have an opinion and I don't think that's why he did it.

Who wants to cut a guy who has the entire liberal media at his fingertips? Smart move by Sam.

The Rams will cut him if he's not good enough, but maybe there is something we agree on; the media, generally speaking, is very liberal, and will slant and spin things their way, and they will with this. That doesn't change the fact that what he has done is very courageous, even with the support of the liberal media.

Surely. Look, I honestly don't care about anybody's sexual orientation. I care about how it's being pushed as an agenda and everyone who isn't on board is bashed as a "homophobe." If the liberals want to push for equality, then they have to do their part.

Showing Sam kissing his boyfriend may fit perfectly with their agenda, but in and of itself is not an agenda. It was what happened when the first openly gay player was drafted in the NFL, which was newsworthy, like it or not. If you don't care about anybody's sexual orientation, you couldn't possibly object to that part of it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

May 13, 2014, 5:14 PM

We know he is not the first gay football player, but he is the first openly gay football player. If you don't understand why that's a big deal, then you are living in a dream world. Nobody has claimed that his teammates oppressed him, and not sure what that has to do with whether or not Sam and his boyfriend were making out or whether or not he is a hero.

In that case, I guess I'll keep dreaming about a world where a sports network focuses on sports and not a gay man and his partner showing PDA.

So if he wasn't oppressed, didn't overcome any disadvantages based solely on his sexual orientation, and didn't do a thing to overturn oppressive legislation within the organization he is/was a part of, how is he considered a hero? There's nothing inherently heroic about announcing it to the world.

Sure, he probably knew it would hurt his draft stock. I'll admit it was a bold move to announce it before the draft, but he is not a hero because of it. That's like Adam Muema (the SDSU running back) announcing he was skipping the combine because "God told him to." He's no hero, either. And ESPN certainly didn't give him a soapbox to stand on.

May 13, 2014, 10:53 AM [ in reply to I can help you out here . . . ]

hear hear

Glad you told me that was cake I saw in the still shot.

May 13, 2014, 8:44 AM

#feelingbetternow.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic